Serpentine Belt Replacement = more power

Status
Not open for further replies.
AC is understandable because you are probably talking about 5 to 10 times difference between the power input requirement of the AC vs alternator (for running the engine etc).

Your explanation of the low torque at low rpm does make sense though. My theory does not hold much water either because whether belt was slipping or not, the alternator was still putting the same amount of load to generate the necessary power. That AC can be turned on or off to feel the difference. Nobody has yet come out and said that turning on their high beam causes the car to slow down (yet!). The only loss in the power could be due to slipping belt generating excessive heat but even then that loss will not be noticeable.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

... whether belt was slipping or not, the alternator was still putting the same amount of load to generate the necessary power. That AC can be turned on or off to feel the difference. Nobody has yet come out and said that turning on their high beam causes the car to slow down (yet!). The only loss in the power could be due to slipping belt generating excessive heat but even then that loss will not be noticeable.

True, good point. I'm not saying I can explain the whole phenomenon -- I think to do that would require a much better understanding of exactly how the old belt was affecting the system. E.g. how much of the time was it grabbing vs slipping, and how does that relate to the various loads that are put on the electrical system during acceleration? Does the charging system change its targeted rate of charge during harder acceleration (either upping it to take advantage of the higher engine output, or cutting it to allow more power to the transmission)? I'm sure there are more questions too.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
It is certainly possible that the engine was not running smooth if there were bad spots on the belt

I'm 100% convinced. The difference is too noticeable. I can't explain why, but I think many of the posts above touched on most of it and are right to some degree.

I'll never go that long on a belt again.

This could be very specific to this engine/make/model too. May be a very rare occurrence.

I'm getting attacked on driveaccord. LOLOL. Here is where I think people are mistaking what I'm saying, rightfully so based on the choice of words I used.

I didn't gain MORE power, I just gained back the power that I was losing, somehow, due to the old belt. So the car now feels like it did when it was brand new.

Also, when I had the timing chain case leak fixed, they used the same serp belt so they probably further stretched it out and it was really wornd at that time.

There is absolutely no way new serpentine belt had any effect on power new or lost. Zero chance. Placebo effect. End of story.

Here's a thought, belt gets worn and no longer rides on the pulleys where it is supposed to creating a bit of drag. New belt rides on the 45 of the belt instead of the edges and bottom and no more added resistance. A severely worn belt could drop in there and bind a bit. A slipping belt would be noticed in my opinion, nothing else seems to make much sense..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back