2013 Altima vs Accord vs Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: smc733
Both good points. One thing that attracted me to the 200 is I get SO much more car for the money.

Sadly, as two of the 3 major Japanese players have gone to unreliable, high-cost CVTs, I'm stuck with either bored-to-tears Toyota, or taking a small gamble on a domestic.

The new Consumer Reports Auto Reliability issue just came out which I read this morning. You may appreciate your Corolla after reading it. I have an 05 Matrix with 205-55-16 tires on it and it tracks very nice at highway speeds. Right now I have Hankook Ventus V2's on the car which also make a nice difference over the oem Conti's that came on it. With rebates I had them installed for $206 from Discount Tire Direct.

While the Camry is a snore-mobile, it would be a comfortable, sensible upgrade, and I would keep that reliability factor. I'd also get the Entune system to give me the built-in nav, as well.

The Corolla is doing a bit better on the highway, no longer a safety risk I'd say, but it still drives pretty poorly.

I'm primarily debating a 2013 Altima 2.5SV w/Nav and convenience vs Accord I4 EX-L w/Nav.

The Accord will cost me $15,700 after trade, whereas the Altima will only cost me $11,800 after my trade (makes sense, as the sticker is about $4k more for the Accord).

The differences I can see are not that big of a deal:
Accord has Blind spot camera, leather, heated seats, power passenger seat, memory seats over the Altima

Once again I appreciate any insight anyone can give, you all have been tremendously helpful, especially because there is so much I don't quite know.

I'm looking for a car with the niceties, and reliability, as I want a comfortable car I can take care of, and will last me for 8-10 years.

Have you considered a Dodge Dart?
I know they are smaller than the cars you mentioned above, but you can get a fully loaded one for dirt cheap, and they have cash bonus' and dirt cheap financing right now.

http://www.dodge.com/en/incentives/?modelYearCode=CUD201319&app=bmo&sid=1277239&bid=%EBuy!&cid=%ECid!&pid=94643659&adid=%EAid!&channel=display&buytype=IM&TR=2&

BC.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
If you are considering the Malibu, I would look at expected repair costs and "known issues" that may occur down the road. It is a Chevy after-all.

Like what, like how some other makes had transmission failures and other issues? Totally baseless. The '08-12 Malibu was not issue prone http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2008&make=Chevrolet&model=Malibu. Also there's the 5/100 powertrain warranty.

Chrysler 200 only gets 21 mpg's combined in CR's testing. This was for the 6cyl but the Dodge Avenger 4 cyl also gets 21 mpg. Ouch! My dad's 2012 camry 4 cyl averages 32 mpg in mixed driving.

I recently drove a new 2013 small 4 cyl car with a 4 speed automatic and it was just terrible, no torque, downshifted all the time etc then drove the same model with a CVT, night and day, the CVT made it an acceptable car. I also have one (another vehicle) with a CVT, very smooth, I feel there is a lot to be said for them!

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Chrysler 200 only gets 21 mpg's combined in CR's testing. This was for the 6cyl but the Dodge Avenger 4 cyl also gets 21 mpg. Ouch! My dad's 2012 camry 4 cyl averages 32 mpg in mixed driving.

This is what really scares me about the car. (Despite the super smooth luxury-like ride) Compared to my Corolla, this would cost me an average of $70/mo more in gas
smirk.gif

I test drove an Accord w/CVT today, and it drives perfectly fine, but I am just a little skeptical of the CVT combined with a Direct-Injected engine for reliability. It seems like a LOT of new tech in one car, especially a re-design.

*sigh* it looks like the Camry is going to be the reliable choice. (Still need to go see a Malibu)

AND....

Someone hit my Corolla when parked, so $860 ($500 deductible) later, I may just be hanging on to it.

$860? Damage can't be too bad. Know if you're gonna trade up for sure before doing the repair. Not sure how bad they will knock off your trade.

And it seemed like he really wanted the Camry too.

Hey smc, once the shock of this new development settles down, you should definitely go for the new car! Imagine the smooth, quiet ride and new car smell! (the literally intoxicating mixture of halide and vinyl VOC off-gassing)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jigen
$860? Damage can't be too bad. Know if you're gonna trade up for sure before doing the repair. Not sure how bad they will knock off your trade.

The dealership I went to to test drive the Accord (I had already been to them a few times), said they wouldn't take anything off the trade.

Honestly, if the 200 got better gas milage than a 22 combined it would be a done deal on that car, but that's a lot of extra $$$ every month.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Hey smc, once the shock of this new development settles down, you should definitely go for the new car! Imagine the smooth, quiet ride and new car smell! (the literally intoxicating mixture of halide and vinyl VOC off-gassing)

I love the 200 and like the Camry. I just really want something that handles better on the highway, and is a bit smoother and more relaxed, but also something that has reliable and proven technology (hence why I want to stay away from CVTs, DI, and Turbo this time around).

I love the 200 and like the Camry. I just really want something that handles better on the highway, and is a bit smoother and more relaxed, but also something that has reliable and proven technology (hence why I want to stay away from CVTs, DI, and Turbo this time around).

With the way things are going, the reliability of the 200 and Camry just might be on par... shame about that fuel economy though

With the way things are going, the reliability of the 200 and Camry just might be on par... shame about that fuel economy though

Well you know, I wonder this, to be honest... Toyota's undoubtedly been slipping (the amount of rattles my 1-year old Corolla already has is unacceptable), and the other two Japanese brands are using new and problem-prone tech that is expensive to fix.

Meanwhile, everyone has been talking up the reliability of domestics the last 3-4 years.

Part of me wants to bite the bullet on the gas mileage, I know the 200 is a car that would put a smile on my face when I see it, get in it, and drive it, for a long, long time.

How are the interiors in the new camrys? Toyota seems to be pretty behind the competition when it comes to interiors in the new vehicles. And I don't mean soft touch stuff, hard plastics are fine but a lot of stuff I have been in has been pretty rattley.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The Camry still has WAAAAAY better reliability compared to the Chrysler 200. No contest.

*predicted reliability. The jury is still out on the new Toyotas, as is it on the 200, which has shown marked improvements over the old Sebring.

How are the interiors in the new camrys? Toyota seems to be pretty behind the competition when it comes to interiors in the new vehicles. And I don't mean soft touch stuff, hard plastics are fine but a lot of stuff I have been in has been pretty rattley.

Based on what I sat in, I wasn't impressed. For one, the moonroof of a Camry I test-drove was rattling non-stop the entire ride. It was definitely closed, but we got it to stop by opening it, and closing it made it come back. We couldn't figure out what it could have been, we even fooled around with the cover, no such luck.

The AC controls are a joke, BEYOND cheap, as is the hideous woodgrain accenting, which has a thick glossy coating that scratches just by looking at it. (There is a metallic trim in the SE model, which is actually nicer). The shift mechanism feels nice, though (that feels ultra-cheap in the 200). Overall, I was not impressed one bit by the interior quality in the Camry.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I'm starting to think you're never going to look at the Malibu
smile.gif

Haha, I really will go take a look at one before I buy anything, I honestly love the styling of it. It's plain in just the right amounts (I hate swoopy and curvy), but yet its good looking and elegant (IE everything I look for in a car).

I wouldn't mind one in Black with a beige/tan interior. They can be had with nav for around $26k, too.

My friend just picked up a 2013 model. It looks pretty nice. I haven't driven in it yet though.

What 2013 car, Camry, Malibu, or 200?

Based on what I sat in, I wasn't impressed. For one, the moonroof of a Camry I test-drove was rattling non-stop the entire ride. It was definitely closed, but we got it to stop by opening it, and closing it made it come back. We couldn't figure out what it could have been, we even fooled around with the cover, no such luck.

The AC controls are a joke, BEYOND cheap, as is the hideous woodgrain accenting, which has a thick glossy coating that scratches just by looking at it. (There is a metallic trim in the SE model, which is actually nicer). The shift mechanism feels nice, though (that feels ultra-cheap in the 200). Overall, I was not impressed one bit by the interior quality in the Camry.

Why are you even considering the Camry then? You will spend all your time inside the car and if it rattles from brand new, it will just get worse. That would be a deal killer for me right away.

If you are afraid of new tech, then why not test drive some of the outgoing models, like 2012 Fusion, Accord and Altima? What about Subarus? They still have port injected, non turbo engines and regular automatic transmissions. I'm sure you can still find plenty of them, brand new, sitting on the dealers’ lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back