Four Brands of 0w20 at Walmart, help me decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be my last thread on the matter just want some opinions on what 0w20 you would buy from these 4 choices. I am looking to buy the jugs from Walmart because it's cheap and convenient.

Mobil 1 0w20: $24.97
PP 0w20: $22.47
QSUD 0w20: $20.97
Valvoline 0w20L $26.47

This would be for a 2014 Mazda 6. It has a 2.5L DI engine. I was thinking maybe something on the thicker side for this engine since it calls for a 5w30 everywhere besides the US.

Any input out of these three would be greatly appreciated. I did do a search and heard some mixed things on the PP, but not too much info on the QSUD. They are similar, right?

Last edited:
^ Considering he didn't mention Pennzoil Ultra...

Intriguing that they have QSUD 0w20. At my local Walmart, they too just received three brands of 0w20: PP, Valvoline, and M1.

Use any of those three with confidence. I'd go for the PP or QSUD as they are the cheapest.

I should edit this. Sorry they have Valvoline as well I think the price is right there with M1, maybe a little more.

I didn't see and PU in 0w20.

PP is on rebate now, so take that one.

Rebate link

QSUD is the same thing as PP but cheaper, but PP has the rebate.

Also, if there is an Advance Auto Parts near you, they have a special PP + a K&N oil filter for $29.99, and then the $10 rebate makes it $19.99

------------------------------------

As an aside, I think Synpower is stupid. Costs more than M1 but no better than QSUD.

But if you like Synpower, try Napa Synthetic. It is rebranded Synpower and often much cheaper.

Honestly, I don't like Synpower that much. I think it isn't that good for the price they charge for it. Supposed to be 4x better than M1 but doesn't meet ACEA A5/B5 or A3/B4. Instead, just "A1/A5" or "A1 performance" but ACEA hasn't allowed splitting A&B for 10 years. Even the MST "European Formula" only meets A3/B4-04 --far inferior to GC and M1 0w40 yet costs just as much as those two.

Yet it costs just as much as M1/Edge/PU, which do meet A5/B5 in 5w30 and A1/B1 in 5w20

Would Synpower even be good for 10-15k like the other three? I doubt it. If it was priced like QSUD it would be fine since Synpower is about the level of QSUD.

But Napa Synthetic would probably be a good value, when it's on sale, often under $4/qt. Watch out for Napa's sales.

Synpower/Napa Synthetic should be good for the OLM suggestions.

Any of these should work well.
I'd probably select PP first, but AFE has also done very well in UOAs posted here.
QSUD also seems to be a solid performer.
Don't forget Synpower, which Wally also offers in a 0W-20.
0W-20s are bound to become more widely offered as the number of cars for which they're recommended grows.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Id use M1. followed by PP. others are also fine though.

Surprise not more supported M1...

All 3 are fine. Like many said, get the cheapest.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Id use M1. followed by PP. others are also fine though.

+1. M1 0-20 has performed very well for me even at 10K OCIs.

Mobil 1 has worked very well in my 2008 Tacoma and that is the grade that is recommended, with a UOA to back it up. At 5K the TBN was 4.5 IIRC + low wear metals, including iron.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
M1 0W20 (same as Toyota 0W20)

Mobil 1 0w20 is not the same as Toyotas 0w20. Yes, XOM does make their 0w20 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back