any one used this before (tufoil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome
the PTFE teflon in this will do no good and may clog filters, there is more merit with the moly.
to high priced there are other products out there that have more bang for the buck.
bruce

I've never seen Tufoil, or any other PTFE oil additive, clog any oil filters.

And, Tufoil is one of the only few PTFE products not part of any FTC complaints. Its also in the Guinness book.

If something works for you, use it. If it doesn't, don't. Either way, share your experience.

I didn't find it, or ANY other oil additives, cost effective since I'm using synthetics now always. But, I've used Tufoil with cheap mineral oils way back when(mid 80's) and it made the engine run smoother, quieter, and got a minimal MPG increase.

welcome.gif

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:

And, Tufoil is one of the only few PTFE products not part of any FTC complaints. Its also in the Guinness book.

If something works for you, use it. If it doesn't, don't. Either way, share your experience.

I didn't find it, or ANY other oil additives, cost effective since I'm using synthetics now always. But, I've used Tufoil with cheap mineral oils way back when(mid 80's) and it made the engine run smoother, quieter, and got a minimal MPG increase.

welcome.gif

I agree. I used to use Tufoil in the 80's. The local BMW garage sold it and it always seemed to make a difference.

I'm still driving that engine, so I doubt that it hurt anything.

I used to use Tufoil. The first time I tried it it seemed to stop a start up clatter in the used Toyota Corolla station wagon that I had at the time. I never used Slick50-I considered it snake oil. But what I was able to find out about Tufoil made it seem impressive. I stopped using it when it seemed that the company that makes it was still using the same old data that they had been using for several years. And there was a lot of questions about using PTFE in motor oil.

The Saturn dealership I used to go to used to encourage the use of an additive called Krex. It is a graphite containing product that has been around forever. The Saturn dealership that is closest to me now encourages the use of BG products, including BG MOA.

It seems like there are a lot of people, even people at new car dealerships, that are always encouraging the use of some oil additive. Heck, Valvoline even encourages the use of oil supplements-their own.

I used Lubegard products for a while. I think if I had an automatic transmission I would still use Lubegard in the transmission. But today I use Auto-RX.

http://www.tufoil.com/

my father has some of this in a little bottle that we use on fishing reels and it does great, and a few years ago he used to get an additive for cars made by them as well. got an extra 2-3mpg. but it was more expensive to run the stuff then it was in fuel saved, but now it may be worth it again.

just seeing if any one has used it besides my dad.

Thanks,

o yeah first post
cheers.gif

My 40 year old 1500 bug transmission was making a “****” of a racket because it was old and using 140 wt oil didn’t help either and when a bottle of “tufoil” was put-in the noise dropped by 80% anyway I replaced my transmission and gave the old away to a friend because he couldn’t afford a new one to replace his--it is now two year and it is still working well.

I have been using “tufoil” on my bug engine (old vw have no filters) for the last 2 years and I am happy to say that the air cooled engine temperature did drop, before that it usually hovers around 200/235 F but now it is between 180/200 F and the engine noise was also reduced.

I used Tufoil in the '85 Diesel and am sure that the fuel economy was improved by 2%.
Not only that, but there was no known engine damage after the oil pressure transmitter popped out causing a complete loss of engine oil.
The car was driven several miles at least without oil..
IMO, this Tufoil works.
Maybe I'll try some in the '96 900 which is at 26 mpg using Mobil 1...

I used to use it for my guns. I have never seen it for motor oil. It worked pretty good on the guns. In fact, it's been so long since I have seen it I thought it was out of business. kwg

Just thought I'd throw some turpentine on the fire here - DuPont actually sued Slick 50 and some other companies in the past for associating their Teflon product name with oil additives - the reason being that they (DuPont) found it increased wear and did absolutely nothing good for engines. Not saying Tufoil doesn't work, just that teflon(ptfe) is not something I want in my engine unless it's being used as an electrical insulator.

TomServo wrote: "DuPont actually sued Slick 50 and some other companies in the past for associating their Teflon product name with oil additives"

Actually, Dupont first stopped selling powdered PTFE to oil addtive companies and then threatened legal action against any oil additive company that used their trademarked name "Teflon". After several lawsuites were brought against DuPont and DuPont could not prove that PTFE was detrimental to internal combustion engines, the courts forced DuPont to resume selling PTFE to oil additive companies. The cases were essentially "restraint of trade" cases.

Quote:

welcome.gif

I tired this material several years ago in my Honda and didn't see ANY difference/improvement. Allot of these item are snake oil. Check over the net under the federal Trade Comission. You'll find out that allot of these products are fake and have no scientific date to back it up. Don't waste your money!!! Better to use a synthetic oil.

Durango

I tried Tufoil in 1998. I had a -85 MB300TDT back then. It did not do anything. No difference in mileage, power or sound. I tested it over a period of 10-12000 miles and two oilchanges.

I decided to give Tufoil a try many, many years ago becaue I was impressed with the advertising for the product compared to Slcik 50 (which I never used) and because even Popular Mechanics Magazine had an article on Tufoil. I used it in a Corolla station wagon that ran well but clattered a little at startup. The Tufoil seemed to eliminate that noise but looking back on all of it I think I could have achieved the same results using 20W50 oil (in warm weather). Tufoil for engines is thick stuff.

Much more impressive was the Lubegard engine oil supplement that I tried and especially the Auto-RX which apparently stopped a seal leak in a car I owned a while back.

I used to be interested in every oil supplement that came out, although I used only a few. A great many of the companies that put these products out wound up being fined by the federal government for false advertising. This never happened to the company that makes Tufoil as far as I know. But even STP was fined (twice, I think).

You could not pay me to put stuff like Slick 50 into an engine. The same goes for a lot of other oil supplements. Really a person can go a long ways using just quality motor oil but I do still have a short list of stuff I am willing to use. Auto-RX tops that list-I really do think that it works. I still have some belief in Lubegard products and I don't think it hurts putting some Regane or Techron in the fuel tank from time to time. I still believe in Bars Leak, which used to be put in the coolant of cars on assembly lines. Pretty much that is the end of my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back