2001 Buick Regal Transmission fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on changing out the trans fluid in my 01 Regal w/75K miles and it seems the only fluid I can find is the new dex/merc blend. Is this fluid alright to use as a replacement for the DexIII? I don't care to go snythetic.
TIA,
Randy

Quote:

I don't care to go snythetic.

Even @ < $6/qt?

Read up on some posts on Maxlife ATF; it is the go to fluid for a lot of people (except maybe one) on BITOG.

You can use any Dex/Merc type fluid you can find. The house brands such as ST, AAP and AZ are all very good and perform well. Their VOAs look as good as all the major brand names, and the UOAs show them just as capable, for less cost.

Yes, the $6/qrt Maxlife is a good buy for an excellent fluid, but if you don't extend the OCI, then you're not getting what you think, regardless how much others goad you. You can probably get the ST house brand (Walmart) for half that money. It's not a "good buy" if you don't get the value out of it. And the only way to do that is to extend your OCI on a ratio equal or better than the cost difference. If you cannot or will not do that, then Maxlife is not a good buy; it's a waste.

I personally have used ST and AAP D/M fluids for years; my UOAs show they perform quite well in normal applications. Choose one of the good house brands and you'll easily get another 75k miles out of this OCI.

Last edited:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2705927

Here is the UOA from my last trans. service on my 2001 Grand Prix which has the same transmission as you Regal. dnewton3 is probably correct that any good brand of dex/merc will probably work fine. I planned to keep my car for 250k miles so I decided to run synthetic and then eventually switched to Dex VI and later on switched to Redline D4. My UOA's compare M1 Dex III to the Dex VI with very similar maintance and use over 90k miles each. My previous car was a '94 Grand Prix with the 4T60E trans and I ran Dex III (not synthetic) for its entire life with me (18k miles to 212k miles). It shifted great still when I gave it away. I always did pan drops and filter changes every 30k miles.

I do hear lots of good things of the Maxlife dex/merc, probably can't go wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back