2013 Altima vs Accord vs Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: smc733
Originally Posted By: Picky1
I went through the same process in 2012; my first choice was the Mazda and the Accord was a close second. However, the Mazda did not have enough head room for me (since I was looking for one with the sunroof). I like the Accord a lot, but I picked the Subaru as it was priced about the same, had a lot of the same tech goodies, has a huge back seat, the gas mileage was fairly comparable, plus it had AWD which is great in the northeast.

You are right to get the Navi in the Subaru is a lot of money…skip it and just use your smartphone or buy a portal GPS for $100. Either option is a lot cheaper and typically better than any built in Navi unit. Also, if you are not comfortable with the CVT you can still get a manual with the Subaru.

I definitely don't want a manual right now, but everyone tells me the Legacy is due for a revamp, so I don't want to be behind the curve. Aside from that, they're a very tempting vehicle.

2013 was the mid-cycle refresh for the Legacy. They made some visual changes (lights, wheels, front bumper, etc.) along with interior changes to the seat material, dash, and rear HVAC. However, the biggest change was an improved CVT, suspension updates, standard 17” wheels, and a new motor!

I doubt based on these changes that anything major is going to happen in 2014; however, I am thinking that in 2015 the car would be due for a big refresh.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
When it comes down to it, we all simply like different stuff. Most people and magazines rate the new 6 as tops, but the OP didn't like it. Just personal preference.

Yup, like I said in another thread, the mags and reviews can praise the new 6 all they want, but this car won't even be on most people's radar. Also, many people, just like OP, simply do not like a firm ride that Mazda provides. BMW can get away with it to a degree because their badge carries much more weight, but even BMW is softening their best selling 3 series to chase more volume.
Let’s face it, majority of drivers hate firm ride, no matter how good or sophisticated it is. They want a nice cushy ride with not much road noise. That is why Camry is such a huge seller, followed by Hyundai since they copied Toyota's formula for success. Heck just look at VW. Their Jetta is hugely dumbed down, cheapened with simple and unsophisticated, but soft ride and just look how well it's selling.

I like a firm ride (loved my RSX), but I didn't feel the new 6 had all that firm of a ride. But my biggest complaint was that it didn't feel like it had any low-end torque. It felt VERY sluggish.

As for the Legacy, maybe I will go check one out, though the alignment went somewhat well on my Corolla.

Re: the Malibu, I just rode home in my good friend Neil's new 4 door Malibu. It never fails to impress me with its whisper quiet smoothness and its very tight and buttoned down ride.

I've liked it since the day he bought it (6 mos. ago). It's not exciting transport but it is eminently practical!

I like a firm ride (loved my RSX), but I didn't feel the new 6 had all that firm of a ride. But my biggest complaint was that it didn't feel like it had any low-end torque. It felt VERY sluggish.

As for the Legacy, maybe I will go check one out, though the alignment went somewhat well on my Corolla.

If you're saying that the 2014 Mazda 6 didn't have any torque, and felt sluggish, then there is something wrong with the car you test drove. I test drove one several weeks back, and it was fantastic.

I drive an RX-8, so I know what a car without any torque in the bottom end feels like. Plus, I also owned a 2007 Altima 2.5 S, so I know what that segment of car should feel like. I was very happy with the way the 6 drove.

Some people just don't like a firmer suspension.
That's why there are Toyota's and Lexus cars out there, to prevent you from feeling anything while driving. Mazda's are not meant for these kind of "drivers".

BC.

The SkyActiv 2.5 is rated at 189 ft-lb of torque at 3250 rpm

Compare that to the Nissan Altima's QR25 rated at 180 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

Nissan is a little bit lighter.
21.gif
so let's compare it to the Sonata. The GDi Theta is rated at 184 ft lb of torque @ 4,250 rpm. I do not recall the rental Sonata lacking in torque for a 4-cylinder

So let's go top shelf against the Accord: The "Earth Dreams" or whatever they are calling the K24 now is rated at 181 ft-lb at 3,900 rpm.

Contrary to popular opinion, Suzuki is a great engine builder. But the Kizashi is far behind in torque at 170 ft-lb of torque @ 4,000 rpm

How about that all new "Euro Ford" Fusion's 2.5? 175 ft-lb of torque @ 4,500 rpm. Old Mazda MZR built in Chihuahua, Mexico.

The only thing I can think of that beats it is the GenIII Ecotec 2.5 with 190 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm. Higher rpm.

On paper, it certainly looks more than just competitive.

I'm pretty sure if I drive one, my 2005 Mazda6S is getting left at the dealership. Just wish Mazda had made it a 5-door

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Comparing peak torque doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. You need to be comparing torque curves.

+1. That was often a problem with Hondas. They'd make decent peak TQ numbers (and HP) but felt lacking in lowspeed TQ. Then gearing and vehicle weight is additional factors.

A lot of the late model automatics have a lot of speeds but they are programmed to grab the highest workable gear and hold on to it and keep the torque convertor locked. Maybe that was what was happening with the Mazda?

I know automatics a few years ago like on my GM vehicles would unlock the convertor and downshift eagerly, and they have 3.4 or 3.8L V6 lol. Although only 4-speeds and city milage is much lower than their highway.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Comparing peak torque doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. You need to be comparing torque curves.

+1. That was often a problem with Hondas. They'd make decent peak TQ numbers (and HP) but felt lacking in lowspeed TQ. Then gearing and vehicle weight is additional factors.

A lot of the late model automatics have a lot of speeds but they are programmed to grab the highest workable gear and hold on to it and keep the torque convertor locked. Maybe that was what was happening with the Mazda?

I know automatics a few years ago like on my GM vehicles would unlock the convertor and downshift eagerly, and they have 3.4 or 3.8L V6 lol. Although only 4-speeds and city milage is much lower than their highway.

Perhaps this is it. I am light footed, and by no means to I like to "punch" the accelerator. That said, I like a car that gently and smoothly accelerates, and I did not feel this at all with the Mazda 6.

My Corolla still didn't feel terrific on the highway last night doing 70, so I'm still considering replacing it, but from what I've got so far:

-Altima: Out for CVT
-Accord: Out for CVT on I4, out for cost on V6
-Chrysler 200: Out for reliability/fuel economy
frown.gif

-Sonata: Out for lack of refinement
-Fusion: Didn't like
-Mazda 6: Didn't like the ride

Cars that are in:
-Camry I4 XLE/SE (nice ride, boring car)

I still have to go check out a Malibu, perhaps that will be the car that hits the home run and puts it to bed?

It seems like you really like the Accord, which is very understandable.

I guess I understand some trepidation about a new transmission, but it you other wise like the car then cover the transmission with a quality extended power-train warranty, but don't let it keep you from getting the car you want.

Seems like a reasonable approach to me. Since you don't want a CVT and liked the Camry, it seems the Malibu has a lot of potential with good gas milage and reliability. Even if you do eventually decide on the Camry at least you looked at all the other models available. That's probably a lot more than most car buyers can say.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Seems like a reasonable approach to me. Since you don't want a CVT and liked the Camry, it seems the Malibu has a lot of potential with good gas milage and reliability. Even if you do eventually decide on the Camry at least you looked at all the other models available. That's probably a lot more than most car buyers can say.

I'm definitely going to take one for a spin this week.

As much as I liked the Accord, it is already a stretch to pay for, so an extended warranty (which will only cover me to 120k), might be a bit too steep.

Since I personally liked the ride of the 200, and I can get lifetime bumper-to-bumpter for about $2k extra, I may give that another pass as well.

I'm thinking a Camry XLE I4 w/Leather and Nav is what I'll end up with, but I'm looking forward to trying out the Chevy.

The Camry is a boring, bland vehicle with numb driving characteristics just like the Corolla. If you don't like the way the Corolla drives why would you consider a Camry?

Well the Malibu has a $2000 rebate plus a 5y/100k mile powertrain warranty. So you might be able to get a higher optioned Malibu 2LT or 3LT for the price of a less optioned Accord or Camry. Although, the Malibu is not priced cheap, but I think at least with the rebate it's more car for the money.

If you are considering the Malibu, I would look at expected repair costs and "known issues" that may occur down the road. It is a Chevy after-all.

Both good points. One thing that attracted me to the 200 is I get SO much more car for the money.

Sadly, as two of the 3 major Japanese players have gone to unreliable, high-cost CVTs, I'm stuck with either bored-to-tears Toyota, or taking a small gamble on a domestic.

Both good points. One thing that attracted me to the 200 is I get SO much more car for the money.

Sadly, as two of the 3 major Japanese players have gone to unreliable, high-cost CVTs, I'm stuck with either bored-to-tears Toyota, or taking a small gamble on a domestic.

The new Consumer Reports Auto Reliability issue just came out which I read this morning. You may appreciate your Corolla after reading it. I have an 05 Matrix with 205-55-16 tires on it and it tracks very nice at highway speeds. Right now I have Hankook Ventus V2's on the car which also make a nice difference over the oem Conti's that came on it. With rebates I had them installed for $206 from Discount Tire Direct.

I remember having a few Yaris rentals. The base model had the darty steering but when I had a S model with slightly wider tires the difference was very noticeable. Much more pleasant to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back