5W30 instead of 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
While under warranty, use only what your owners manual tells you to use. After the warranty is up, go ahead and use 5W-30 if you want.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
While under warranty, use only what your owners manual tells you to use. After the warranty is up, go ahead and use 5W-30 if you want.

Probably the best advice.

I don't believe your engine is any different than the one in our '03, at least not by much. Ours specs 5w30. I have 5w40 in it right now and have not observed a decrease in fuel economy.

Having said that, I would use 0w20 while under warranty.

i knew this was a toyota question before even clicking to read the post haha.

i have two toyotas which both ASK for 0W20, but HISTORICALLY they have both been ASKED to use 5W30. if your engine is the same way (i'm fairly sure it is) then use 5W30 with confidence. As a matter of fact, i would like to hear from other people if 5W40, or 20W50 is even usable, and i'm fairly sure it is because often those are the only grades available in foreign countries.

Subaru and some others are the only brands i am aware of that REQUIRE 0W20 or your warranty is VOID. No doubt because of teeny weeniie tiny oil channels amongst the block, crank, piston, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i knew this was a toyota question before even clicking to read the post haha.

i have two toyotas which both ASK for 0W20, but HISTORICALLY they have both been ASKED to use 5W30. if your engine is the same way (i'm fairly sure it is) then use 5W30 with confidence. As a matter of fact, i would like to hear from other people if 5W40, or 20W50 is even usable, and i'm fairly sure it is because often those are the only grades available in foreign countries.

Subaru and some others are the only brands i am aware of that REQUIRE 0W20 or your warranty is VOID. No doubt because of teeny weeniie tiny oil channels amongst the block, crank, piston, etc.

Mobil 1 recommends their 0w40 for the 2az-fe over in europe, even the newer ones. All other oil companies recommend 5w30 in other parts of the world though. Don't know why Mobil 1's is different.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Won't hurt a thing. I'll bet that identical Corollas that wind up being exported to Australia are specified to run Xw-30 or thicker.

The mileage impact will be some tiny fraction of one MPG that will be more than offset by the warmer weather of Spring.

Perfect advice and very true. However, I am not going top speak on warranty issues, but really...how many people have had warranty work on a oil related issue, specifically on what oil was used?

I don't get why everyone is so scared to move up a grade or so or down? I dumped 20-50 in an SUV spec for 5-30 for its third oil change after new, and the truck is still running perfect at 150k plus and going. I have moved oil weights all over the board since.

If you have oil related trouble be sure to switch to 0-20 asap as they Toyota will give you grief. If it does not matter I would suggest any 0-20 oil like PP not using 5-30.

I believe it even says in the Toyota manuals that for high speed driving, a 5w30 may be a better choice.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I was wondering if I would run into any trouble running 5W30 in my wife's 2012 corolla instead of the 0W20 that it it is spec'd for.

Reason: Im at 17K, dealer changes again at 20K, current oil has gone 7K, and id like to time it so that the 20K change is mid summer.

Thanks!

Why not just do nothing and let the dealer change it at the recommended 20K?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I don't believe your engine is any different than the one in our '03, at least not by much. Ours specs 5w30. I have 5w40 in it right now and have not observed a decrease in fuel economy.

Having said that, I would use 0w20 while under warranty.

The 1.8 in the 2009+ Corolla is a completely different engine than your 2003.

I don't see a good reason not to stick with the manufacturer recommended oil weight. There are plenty of good 0W20 products these days. If the car is a Toyota, you might as well stick with Toyota's 0W20, which seems to have a very good reputation. Another interesting possibility is Amsoil SS 0W20. Finally, Mobil 1 0W20 and a few others are available from auto parts stores. QSUD 0W20 probably gives the best "value".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back