VOA Mobil Super Synthetic 5w20 SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Titanium and Sodium is used the budget oil. Is there anything to read about how these additives perform against calcium and phosphorous.

Kendall GT-1 with titanium, ConocoPhillips flagship oil, is a "budget oil"?

Kendall's (and every mfr's) flagship oil is the one that has Porsche and Mercedes approvals. And it does not use titanium.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
As I thought this is not syn Mobil Super instead Mobil Super 5k. Check the recent Pqia listings on Mobil Super Syn. voa.

no this is mobil super synthetic. the formulation has changed since this VOA was performed. the new super synthetic looks like and older mobil 1 formula. It previously used titanium and sodium. i assure you this was mobil super synthetic. i sent this off right after mobil relesed the new super line a few years ago.

Titanium and Sodium is used the budget oil. Is there anything to read about how these additives perform against calcium and phosphorous.

UOA'S dont lie. the mobil super line using titanium and sodium outperforms mobil 1 in the UOA's ive seen here on BITOG. Titanium seems to be and excellent A/W additive.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

UOA'S dont lie. the mobil super line using titanium and sodium outperforms mobil 1 in the UOA's ive seen here on BITOG. Titanium seems to be and excellent A/W additive.

Out-performs how?

many M1 UOA's here aside from 0w40 are less than fantastic. they are decent, but not fantastic. yet we have seen many fantastic UOA's from The super line. 2010_fx4's UOA's come to mind here, as well as my own UOA with this very oil.

Im Not intending to say the super is superior to M1, my point is that it has shown to control wear just as well as M1, PU, or any other lube that you could compare it too, assuming the conditions that most people drive under.

perhaps in a racing or heavy towing application M1 would protect much better than the super line, but i have yet to see proof of that. Just because mobil markets M1 as the superior oil doesn not mean that it is in fact superior in all applications.

perhaps my choice of words should have been that MSS performs just as well as mobil 1 in my experience.

Last edited:
many M1 UOA's here aside from 0w40 are less than fantastic. they are decent, but not fantastic. yet we have seen many fantastic UOA's from The super line. 2010_fx4's UOA's come to mind here, as well as my own UOA with this very oil.

Im Not intending to say the super is superior to M1, my point is that it has shown to control wear just as well as M1, PU, or any other lube that you could compare it too, assuming the conditions that most people drive under.

perhaps in a racing or heavy towing application M1 would protect much better than the super line, but i have yet to see proof of that. Just because mobil markets M1 as the superior oil doesn not mean that it is in fact superior in all applications.

perhaps my choice of words should have been that MSS performs just as well as mobil 1 in my experience.

This assumes that what we see in a UOA is a legitimate reflection of wear. I don't believe that is necessarily the case. While there are indeed times where a UOA may potentially alert you to a wear issue, their intended use is to track oil life and contamination. One needs only to look at the condemnation limits used by Doug Hillary in his 90,000Km OCI's for his UOA's (150ppm of iron for example) and contrast these to his tear-down pictures (liner "like new", bearings still within spec....etc) at 1.2 million Km's to see the potential folly in relying on these numbers to guide us in thinking our efforts are working to track and control the wear characteristics of our engines.

i agree, however do you suppose there would be any difference in performance over the life of a vehicle at 7500 miles intervals between MSS and M1?

i honestly don't believe that there would be any difference. i agree low UOA ppm are not a valid assurance of engine longevity, but if we are going to count ppm's of wear it would appear that MSS can hold its own against M1.

I use the M1 as well as MS line and like them both. The main point to this whole discussion is that although MSS uses sodium and titanium it is not a "cheap" add packed oil that is sub par.

I apparently fairs very well against any OTC oils available today.

i agree, however do you suppose there would be any difference in performance over the life of a vehicle at 7500 miles intervals between MSS and M1?

i honestly don't believe that there would be any difference. i agree low UOA ppm are not a valid assurance of engine longevity, but if we are going to count ppm's of wear it would appear that MSS can hold its own against M1.

I use the M1 as well as MS line and like them both. The main point to this whole discussion is that although MSS uses sodium and titanium it is not a "cheap" add packed oil that is sub par.

I apparently fairs very well against any OTC oils available today.

I'd be more curious as to which kept the ring pack area cleaner and subsequently kept compression closer to "as new" than the other, that'd be the real teller
wink.gif

"Kendall's (and every mfr's) flagship oil is the one that has Porsche and Mercedes approvals. And it does not use titanium."

Cite your source for this assertion, please. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic does indeed contain Ti. Moreover, if I don't own a Porsche or a MB, why would I care about those mfrs. oil specs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back