Best lubricant for key lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about the ignition lock cylinder however, in the past, I have used aerosol white lithium grease in door lock cylinders for years without any issues. Switched to Fluid Film for several years now without concerns as well.

I used a dry lubricant spray & never any problems.
Without going to the garage to look, I want to say its a CRC product - green label spray.
Good reminder as I need to spray up the front security door locks while I'll probably be spraying one of the boat seat swivels as it squeak last time out.

I use the regular wd-40 but that is not the best for lock cylinders although it will help the lock not to freeze.. I think wd is for cleaning more than lubricating there is another wd-40 product made especially for locks

Originally Posted By: djb
zr900 said:
Most automotive locks are hardened steel wafers sliding in a hardened steel keyway. They are lubed with waterproof grease. This is unlike many padlocks and home locks, which have ungreased brass parts sliding against steel. These can be usefully lubricated with graphite.

Putting graphite in a greased lock will gum it up. A solvent based spray will redistribute the existing grease, so almost any type will work. An alcohol based lock deicer has the least chance of depositing an incompatible lubricant.

What do you recommend to de-gum auto locks (which used graphite)? Can teflon (triflow) be used for auto locks? Do you use same in door lock and ignition keyhole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back