Unwanted oil change with wrong oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my 2011 F-550 6.7L diesel in to the dealer for the check engine light being on. They automatically booked it for an oil change since it was over 6 months since our last one. It had been 9 months and about 1000km (600 miles) on Mobil Delvac ESP 5w-40 oil. They dumped that and put in bulk Castrol 15w-40.

I having them dump the castrol and put in the oil that we used before that I paid good money for to drive 1000 km... Am I crazy for this? I'm sure it would be ok but the owners manual states to only use 15w-40 CJ-4 above 7 degrees Celsius and if you are using biodiesel (b6-b20) which we do not have available here. It does recommend the 5w-40 for severe duty and for our temperature range. The dealer is swearing to me that Ford supplies them with the castrol
15w-40 and that they recommend it. I think that is complete [censored] as Esso (Exxon-Mobil) makes ford branded oil in Canada as far as I know. So why would they supply castrol to one dealer?...

The manual is the reference here and the dealer is avoiding the $100 it will cost them to fix the issue. I don't think you will see consistent +7C temps in Edmonton until end of April.
Dealers make deals on bulk oil all the time. As long as the oil meets Ford specs, the dealer is covered. My Hyundai manual says Quaker State is recommended and the dealer uses bulk Castrol. I do my own changes because of that with PP.
I think it is within your rights to demand (in the right way) that they refill with fresh 5W-40.

Last edited:
If you didn't authorize the work, then they should put it back the way it was: 5w40 synthetic.

This happened to me once, a Toyota dealer drained and filled the diffs (both) on the 4Runner without asking me. The truck was in for another service and they saw that they hadn't changed the diff fluid in over 30,000 miles.

I was not happy. I explained that the Mobil 1 75w90 had fewer than 1,000 miles on it, and that they had dumped fresh oil without my asking. I was polite but firm. They made it right and refilled the diffs with M1 that they had to go out and buy.

By all means refuse to pay for something that wasn't authorized by you. And yes...make them replace it with the proper oil.

First mistake was going to the dealer. But show them the receipt that hopefully you saved to show them what they dumped and they will hopefully replace it at no expense to you and perhaps throw in a li'l something extra.

Is there a provincial agency that regulates auto repair shops in Alberta? If so, file a complaint against this dealership shop for doing unauthorized work.

Meant to say -7 degrees Celsius for the use of 15w-40. And they actually did the last oil change. So I can't see why they changed what they used from the last time. I did specifically ask for the 5w-40 last time for the oil change after reading the manual. This time they just booked it and charged me for it since it was over 6 months. The manual says it is good for 1 year or 16000 km or by the IOLM.

This exact thing happened to me when my Ford 6.0 PSD was in for one of it's (many) problems-it was the middle of winter, it had about 3000 miles on a sump of 5W40 Valvoline PBX syn, and they took it upon themselves to put in MC 15W40, even though I expressly had told them NOT to change it. The funny part is they had parked it outside overnight & the temperature had dropped to 25F-and it loped & smoked like it was on fire! They had to put the PBX back-they lost big money on that oil change!

You know, it's nice that dealers are watching to ensure that service doesn't go past due. However, they could ask before draining oil and messing around. I'd be extremely annoyed at having Delvac 1 drained with only 1000 km on it, too.

As for Castrol at the Ford dealer, sure, why not? It's not Motorcraft Canada oil, of course, so I don't know about Ford supplying it, but it does meet the specifications. Check your nearest Walmart. You'll see that Castrol does not have any shortage of HDEOs. You should see at least three different Castrol HDEOs on a Canadian Walmart's shelf.

Here's what I find shocking ...

9 months and only 600 miles?

Why are you paying for syns for such uber-short OCIs? I realize that you didn't intend to have the oil changed, but you'll never recoup that kind of investment unless it sits in the crankcase for years! What was your OCI plan, anyway?

I am not super familiar with the Canadian brands, but there has got to be a lesser cost, thinner dino HDEO somewhere that would easily fill your needs (note that I said "need" and not "want"). Or perhaps the T5, if it's close.

Frankly, if the actual lower limit is -7C, and we're heading into spring, I'd not panic with the 15w-40. No damage is likely to occur from it's use. And because you don't have HEUI, starting and idle isn't an issue.

Like you, I'd simply be irritated that they performed a service that I didn't request, and wasted very expensive oil for an uber-short OCI. However, I susepct that you would have wasted that lube anyway, and so your "anger" in that regard is a bit overblown? Unless you would have ran that out for LONG time, you also would have grossly wasted the fluid. Just perhaps not a badly as they did for you.

The planned oci was to be 16000km or by the IOLM to satisfy warranty. I just haven't driven it much this year as it is used for work to haul a big heavy machine. And we have been lucky enough to have our jobs fairly close to each other so I have not had to move the machine as much as i usually would. Come summer time it will get used a lot more (camping). The use of a synthetic is because Ford recommends a 5w-40 for severe duty. This is a tow vehicle so it gets classified as severe especially of you saw the weights of what we are pulling. I am not sure if there is a Dino 5w-40. We do everything at the dealer for warranty purposes and that is what they had in that grade.

What concerns me is that in the manual there is a footnote next to 15w-40 that says only to be used with the use of biodiesel. Which luckily we do not have here.

I am using the information listed and available at "motorcraftservice" website
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/S...p;VEHICLE=F-550

It is not a "requirement" to run the 5w-40, even for severe service ...

And I quote page #45 of the 2011 F-550 Diesel supplement #5:
"The following conditions define severe operation for which engine operation with SAE 5W-40 API CJ-4 is recommended."
(note the wording there; not required but recommended" as I have underlined)

I also quote that same manual, page #43 regarding oil lube specs:
"For normal or severe service, use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent oil conforming to Ford specifications as listed in the Maintenance product specifications and capacities section in this chapter or API service categories CJ-4 or CJ-4/SM."
(note the wording and mutiple use of the word "or" as I have underlined).

As for viscosity, here is what is states on page #43:
"The use of correct oil viscosities for diesel engines is important for satisfactory operation."
(note that it says "satisfactory operation"; it does NOT state that any specific vis is a requirement for warranty compliance; the viscosities listed represent the acceptable ragne of grades that are recommended for given conditions, but they do not imply a forfieture of warranty coverage).

You see, any lube that meets Ford specs is acceptabble. Viscosity grades are not as "stringent" as most folks think. Any lube that meets their criteria is accepable. Synthetics, even for severe use, are not required; they are only recommended.

Warranty cannot be denined based upon a "recommendation". Ford also "recommends" the use of "BP" fuels; says so right on many of their gas caps as installed at the factory. But that is not a "requirement" for the purposes of warranty. And so it goes with lubes as well.

When it comes to your truck, any qualfied (CJ-4) dino lube in a grade we'd see on the shelf is sufficient to honor Ford's requirements for the purpose of warranty.

You can use 5w-40 with no issues, except that it will cost you an arm and leg for your short annual OCIs. And I would remind you that your vehicle will probably bump against the warranty calendar LONG before you will ever wear it out with distance.

As for the topic of the 40 grade & biofuel, I cannot conceive why Ford thinks a 15w-40 is OK for biofuel, but a 10w-30 isn't. No rationale there in my mind.

And before you want to argue about what some words mean, I'll throw out this, just to show you how even Ford cannot agree with itself, regarding your truck:
Same manual, page #9:
"It is recommended that the engine block heater be used for starting when the temperature is -10°F (-23°C) or colder."
But here is the "tips" sheet info that owner's sign when taking delivery:
"The engine block heater is required when the vehicle is to be started at temperatures below -10F (-23C)."
OK Ford - which is it? Are you "required" to use the block heater, or is it only "recommended"? Two different docuemnts, for that very same vehicle, claiming two different approaches in the same environmental condition. Are you supposed to haul around a small inverter generator to fire up when it's really cold out at the mall, so that you can plug in the block heater while at a movie? Absurd ...

When it comes to warranty, if you chose to use a dino CJ-4 10w-30 and had a warranty claim, the burden of proof would be on Ford to show that your decision was unsound; hard to believe they could do that given the wording in their owner's manual!

Here's where you and I probably agree in regard to your thread ...
On the matter of principle, they did work you didn't request, and threw out some expensive oil way before it's prime. They owe you some kind of restitution.
Here's where you and I probably disagree ...
You were bound to waste the fluid anyway; you were not likley to come anywhere near the service life of the fluid. In fact, even the 15w-40 they used to replace it is more than adequate for your use, and you can easily get plenty of use out of what they put in; even dino 15w-40 will outlast your probable OCI plan.

Last edited:
I do agree with you and commend you for taking the time to research this issue. Hats off to you! With my line of work I could use the big truck a lot of we have to move our telehandler (27000 lbs + trailer) or if we do not move often (which has been the case) then I just take my personal vehicle as it is more comfortable.

Because of the weights we pull for work and for play (29' 5th wheel with an 18' boat behind it) I was taking Fords recommendation on the 5w-40 especially considering the temperature range that we deal with (minus 40 Celsius to plus 35 Celsius). So I liked the idea of having a 40 grade for summer towing in the heat and a 5w for bitter cold starts (a lot of times being parked outside with no plug in for the block heater).

I am more mad that they just dumped that oil which was premature with out my permission. I am going to have them replace the oil with the Delvac. But I think I will take your advice and after that oci maybe switch to a much cheaper 10w-30 deo given my low mileage on the vehicle. It's a 2011 with only 10000 km on it.... Oh we'll better then my 2011 gt500 with 2000 km... Too many vehicles. Not enough drivers.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I am not super familiar with the Canadian brands, but there has got to be a lesser cost, thinner dino HDEO somewhere that would easily fill your needs (note that I said "need" and not "want"). Or perhaps the T5, if it's close.

There are 10w-30 HDEOs up here, with the usual Delvac and Rotella suspects, along with Petro-Canada. As for the weather, one never knows. We're in for a cold snap shortly, and if we're cold, Edmonton's going to get it to or has it already.
wink.gif
Heck, it's supposed to go to -39 in Yellowknife tonight. Nice.

The Rotella synthetics and synblends can at least be found at rollback at Canadian Tire or Partsource up here, if one really wants a 0w-40 or 5w-40. I'm not sure what the pricing is like from Petro-Canada or Imperial Oil lately.

Right now on "up to 5% biodiesel" winter fuel I am seeing 20L/ 100km when driving empty. In summer we have been getting 26L/100km towing the telehandler (27000 lbs + trailer). The truck has 4.30 gears and tends to get better economy in the city due to the higher rpms on the highway.

When I first got it I was able to get 11L/100 km doing 100 km/hr empty. Things changed when they changed our fuel. Fuel economy instantly went down. The truck alone weighs a good 11000 lbs +. It has dual tanks holding a total of 260L. Plus I have a 120L tidy tank on the bed to fill my machine. I use a fuel additive all the time to improve cetane and lubricity.

For you US guys that's a low of about 10mpg and average of 12mpg and a high of about 24mpg (on fuel that is no longer available).

Last edited:
Sometimes life isn't all about return on investment.

If somebody wants to use dino/mineral oil that is their choice.

If somebody wants to use a quality synthetic oil that is their choice also.

Personally if I was doing as few miles as the OP I would use synthetic as there is likely a few short trips and extended periods of doing nothing.

In those circumstances I would feel more comfortable using synthetic.

But again as I live in the UK it is highly unlikely that I would use anything less than full synthetic.

The Taxi has performed brilliantly on Mobil 1 0w40 New Life and the same oil is going in the Clio again later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back