Purolator & Bosch Say No More Than 3,000 Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anybody cut open there filters??? Do U really think a filter gets pluged up???

Find it hard to believe when 3000K is way too early for a freeway only car................

Oil test is the only way to solve the time change interval, change it at 1500 then 3000 and see if the oil is as clean or cleaner then 1500.

Seems like a valid test to me ???

Originally Posted By: MNL
Well, I called Purolator hotline yesterday so enjoy the 10min video.

Did you tell the guy you were recording the conversation? Not sure if it's legal to do so without informing the other party you're doing so. Just sayin' ...

The Tech on the line for Purolator contradicts himself a few times ... a few times he makes it sound like he agrees with the statements in the warranty that it's OK to use per the vehicle manufacture's owner's manual. Then he flops the other way and keeps saying the PureOne is only good for 3000 miles.
crazy.gif

Clearly, they are confused on what their own product is or what their warranty says.

This might explain the ripped pleats after 7,300 miles on my 98 Legacy.

I really like Purolator. Or at least I used to.

I feel like my cat just died.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Wow, that was almost as bad as calling Bell Canada!!!
crazy2.gif

I can only imagine. I have contact both Nissan and Toyota customer service before and they were top notch. Even AT&T is fine too. But Purolator...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
That was painful. You had that poor guy completely flummoxed. I could picture him looking around in a panic for a way out of that conversation.
Sadly, tech line people are rarely competent to discuss tech info. They just follow a scripted flow-chart and if the questions don't fit, they're instructed to tell you to talk to a fictitious manager who is never there.
Yea, they have to get their information straight. The warranty phone number will send the filter retrieval kit out to people but is this hotline that customer have to talk to see if Purolator will warrant the filter or not. Guess everyone will have to say it failed at 2,999 miles. It would unfortunate if some one honest call in about a PureONE that failed at 4,000 and Purolator said tough luck.

Originally Posted By: Pro3qtr
has anybody cut open there filters??? Do U really think a filter gets pluged up???
Find it hard to believe when 3000K is way too early for a freeway only car................
Oil test is the only way to solve the time change interval, change it at 1500 then 3000 and see if the oil is as clean or cleaner then 1500.
Seems like a valid test to me ???
The first time I called, they told me it's not the problem with the filter but conventional oil would not last more than 3,000 miles. That why he said that 5,000 mile is okay on their filter with synthetic oil, but we know motor oil can last much longer (depending on application and other factor)

I have a Purolator Synthetic (the only filter they claim to be good for 10K by e-mail) I planned to run two 4K interval on my car but after this conflict, I'm not comfortable with Purolator. Maybe I'll peel off the sticker before installing it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Did you tell the guy you were recording the conversation? Not sure if it's legal to do so without informing the other party you're doing so. Just sayin' …

The Tech on the line for Purolator contradicts himself a few times ... a few times he makes it sound like he agrees with the statements in the warranty that it's OK to use per the vehicle manufacture's owner's manual. Then he flops the other way and keeps saying the PureOne is only good for 3000 miles.
crazy.gif

Clearly, they are confused on what their own product is or what their warranty says.
You know, that have never cross they mind; I'll remove it if need. I just want to show that I'm not just making things up on BITOG. You know how we prefer seeing pictures of engines and filters instead of just words.

You can hear him reading the list of what can void the warranty but no where it limit the filter to 3,000 miles. In the first half of the call, he agree with 5,000 miles but then told me that "we're talk about different oil." That's when he changed to 3,000 miles on conventional and 5,000 on synthetic. I'll be impress if they change the warranty to only 3,000 within the month. That would be a big C.Y.A. move instead of training their tech line better.

Originally Posted By: AHC
This might explain the ripped pleats after 7,300 miles on my 98 Legacy.

I really like Purolator. Or at least I used to.

I feel like my cat just died.
I know how that feel. I was just about to start using all Purolator filters this year too but now...

The first time I called, they told me it's not the problem with the filter but conventional oil would not last more than 3,000 miles. That why he said that 5,000 mile is okay on their filter with synthetic oil, but we know motor oil can last much longer (depending on application and other factor).

+1 ... I use Mobil Super 5000, which is a conventional motor oil and is guaranteed to last 5000 miles. I'm sure there are other conventional oils out there that claim similar. Plus, owner's manuals call out the use of conventional oils for OCIs well beyond 5,000 miles in normal vehicle use.

Hmmm...Wonder what they'd have to say when you tell them that Honda's owner's manual tells you to use your oil filter for 2 OCIs?
28.gif

SIAP but why would the type of oil, conv or syn, have much effect if any at all on the durability of a filter?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Filter manufactures want you to change oil filter every 3k/3mo, air filter every 12k/12mo so that they can sell more filters.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Hmmm...Wonder what they'd have to say when you tell them that Honda's owner's manual tells you to use your oil filter for 2 OCIs?
28.gif

I would say,"Nope, it will never happen!"
27.gif
28.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Filter manufactures want you to change oil filter every 3k/3mo, air filter every 12k/12mo so that they can sell more filters.

I agree.

+1 ... I could see if the weight of the oil used was heavier than what the vehicle manufacturer called out, it might have an impact on the filter (ie, more force (PSID) on the media). A filter doesn't care if the oil is conventional or synthetic. If Purolator or any other filter manufacturer thought that conventional oil alone damaged the materials in their filter for some reason, then they would clearly specify that certain filters must be used only with conventional motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Fission
In your fourth picture of the new PureONE box, on the top flap, it says: "Limited Warranty. See product catalog for complete warranty information." Any idea what is listed in the product catalog?

Originally, I though it was the catalog book that hangs around the filter section of Pepboys, but lucky me, it was missing... Then I figure maybe I can find a PDF verison on Purolator website. I found these two PDF brochures which state: "Replace oil filters when you change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles,or as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer" for the Purolator Classic too.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PureONE_3PanelBrochure_1112.pdf
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/Purolator_Classic_Brochure_1112.pdf

Then I found this at the very bottom of the website and it states:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PuroLimitedWarranty.pdf
Quote:
This limited warranty is effective for the number of miles and driving severity published in the owner's vehicle manual as the recommended service interval for filter replacements (“Warranty Period”). Purolator will replace, free of charge, any Filter which, under normal conditions of use, is proven to be defective in material or workmanship and is within the Warranty Period. If Purolator further determines, in its sole discretion, that the alleged defective Filter caused engine damage during the Warranty Period, Purolator will also repair or replace any damaged engine parts.

But then it also said
Quote:
In addition, Purolator may change this limited warranty policy at any time. Please refer to www.purolatorautofilters.net for the most current version of this limited warranty policy.

I'll will call the Technical Services Department (Warranty) number on that PDF tomorrow to get a solid answer and try to have them mail me a copy of this warranty so I can document that it is from Purolator. I will also explain the misinformation that Purolator Hotline and e-mail have be sending me. ALso, I'll try also stop by another Pepboy to find the Catalog Book (if that's what they are referring) to see if the same limited warranty is written in there.

BUT if warranty department say they will only honor up to 3,000; then it will be a bigger issue.

^^^^^^This post with pdf links contains all the authoritative information one needs to know about Purolator oil filter change interval and how long they are warranteed for. I spoke with a PRO cust serv rep last week and quoted the "you will be using it at your own risk" about the Classic. The Classic pdf brochure above says the same thing as the Pure One, with the OR statement. When I read the" at your own risk" quote he became very defensive and wanted to end the conversation. But not before starting with the conventional 3k vs 5k synthetic recommendation blah blah blah. As ZO6 said, the type oil (conventional v synthetic) is totally irrelevant to the filter change interval recommendation. As long as the owner is follows the vehicle recommended fci.

Sadly, while I believe Purolator and Bosch would/will stand behind their filters when used as vehicle manufacuturer recommended, this thread confirmes the total lack of product knowledge by the folks at the PRO and Bosch hotline. When they can't correctly answer the filter change interval even when it's pointed out to them, it reflects poorly on Purolator and Bosch. While I wouldn't let these ignorant answers being supplied affect my purchase of a Puolator or Bosch oil filter, I can understand how others might not be as confident. Someone needs to wise up at Puro/Bosch.

To the OP good job on your effort to get some answers, but until these folks answering the phone and email get some real product and warranty training, NOT sales training, doubtful you will get consistently accurate answers.

Much ado about nothing. Who really cares? If your car is under warranty, then order a case of OEM filters from Amazon, or one of the million brand-specific car parts sites on the web. Problem solved. If not under warranty, use what you want. Anyone with half a brain knows any decent name brand filter will last beyond 3k in a clean, maintained engine. You people are really getting worked up, about this?! Who cars if Purolator recommends 3k to sell more filters? Almost all oil manufacturers recommend 3k conventional oil changes. You mad at them, too?

Originally Posted By: jfking106
Almost all oil manufacturers recommend 3k conventional oil changes. You mad at them, too?

Yep ... bunch of shysters and resource wasters.
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jfking106
Almost all oil manufacturers recommend 3k conventional oil changes. You mad at them, too?

Yep ... bunch of shysters and resource wasters.
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Yeah, shame on them!
35.gif

I noticed that too, but it sounded to me like he was just agreeing with the caller to get him off the phone.

So if I understand what this alleged "tech rep" was saying, if I use synthetic oil, their filters will last for 5,000 miles, but if I use PYB, at 3,001 miles their filters will disintegrate and plug up all the oil passages, destroying my engine. I wonder if he ever listens to himself?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I noticed that too, but it sounded to me like he was just agreeing with the caller to get him off the phone.

So if I understand what this alleged "tech rep" was saying, if I use synthetic oil, their filters will last for 5,000 miles, but if I use PYB, at 3,001 miles their filters will disintegrate and plug up all the oil passages, destroying my engine. I wonder if he ever listens to himself?

Yet, more reason's to NOT use oil filters more than (1) OCI!
28.gif

I send this e-mail last Thursday.

Quote:
I wanted to show out the warranty on Purolator's and Bosch's website.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PuroLimitedWarranty.pdf
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Filters/Documents/2012_Bosch_Filter_Warranty.pdf

Both read as followed:
"This limited warranty is effective for the number of miles and driving severity published in the owner's vehicle manual as the recommended service interval for filter replacements (“Warranty Period”). Purolator will replace, free of charge, any Filter which, under normal conditions of use, is proven to be defective in material or workmanship and is within the Warranty Period."

I understand that you recommended that all of the Purolator and Bosch oil filter are to be change at 3 months or 3,000 miles. (except Purolator synthetic is rated for 10,000 miles.) But by what the companies' warranties stated, all of Purolator's and Bosch's filters are warranted for any length of time and mileage by the manufacturers' recommendation where their filter's are use. Are these warranties valid?

If so, it means that I'm allowed by Purolator to use a Purolator Classic oil filter for 7,500 miles by Toyota's recommended oil change interval in the manual.

Thank you for your time.

Today, I got a reply but not from the same person.

Quote:
Yes, you can use the Purolator oil filters per the Toyota's recommended oil change interval in the owners manual. This limited warranty is effective for the number of miles and driving severity published in the owner's vehicle manual as the recommended service interval for filter replacements with the type and viscosity of oil.

It was from a guy name Frank Merrell. A quick Google search and on Purolator site show that he is Purolator Product Manager. Finally, someone that stand up to their product and he even CC it to the tech guy who originally told me 3K max on all of their oil filter. Hopefully they get their tech hotline straight out. I know this thread sound like a lot of work just for a filter but we did the same when Valvoline release NextGen; we just want to know that the company will stand behind their product. As pointed out, Purolator makes good filters; on the other hand, their hotline needs some help.

As pointed out, Purolator makes good filters; on the other hand, their hotline needs some help.

Yeah, no kiddin' ...
crazy.gif
whistle.gif

So, you finally reached someone with product and warranty knowledge and got 'the' accurate answer. That said, while one can only hope for improvement in the PRO and Bosch Hotline, I have my doubts. As shown early on in this thread though, clearly the posters here were/are more knowledgeable about Puro/Bosch's recommended fci and warranty. Hopefully this will put to rest the question about Puro/Bosch fci especially as it relates to warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back