Marvel Mystery Oil added to oil and gasket leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The non solvent flushes seem to answer the concerns GM has about their oil seals and the ones from Valvoline and Wynns are idle only pre OCI flushes, so safer than the drive around variety. I still think that changing to a high detergent content oil with short OCI's is safer than playing around with idle flushes if you are not going to clean an engine correctly.

not really sure what the big deal is.

They've been preaching for years how ethanol was great blah blah blah and just recently they've found that it has caused engine damage.

I quit running ethanol mixed gas because of poor mileage and fouled spark plugs.

I've used several different fuel additives and oil additives and none of done any kind of damage.

I'm a regular user of seafoam and other fuel additives, I've used MMO in gas several times only put in the oil once or twice and never saw any ill-effects. I've also used auto-rx in a few vehicles and the results were positive, restored compression in an older f150 that had been abused from farm-work.

never used any engine flushes, never had the need to and i guess i'm too scared to dump in any kind of straight solvent directly into the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: skyship
The non solvent flushes seem to answer the concerns GM has about their oil seals and the ones from Valvoline and Wynns are idle only pre OCI flushes, so safer than the drive around variety. I still think that changing to a high detergent content oil with short OCI's is safer than playing around with idle flushes if you are not going to clean an engine correctly.

"seem"? Why the lack of certainty skyship? You are an insurance investigator in Germany and last time I looked Opel sells cars in Germany.

The TSB you copy and pasted said 2011 and prior year models should not have crankcase flushes.

It did not say newer models have changed their seals. It said 2011 and earlier. That means all years which suggests that seal changes are not the reason. Indeed it says damage to bearings is a concern as well as seals.

Secondly, it makes no exception for nor mentions non solvent vs solvent flushes. It covers any crankcase flush regardless of type.

What seems to have happened is that you made a claim about drive around additives being bad for seals. Then you googled for something to back you up and found this.

You misrepresented that seals had changed and that was the reason for the TSB and you continue to represent that it relates to solvent flushes only when it says all flushes.

Isn't it ironic that you made a statement, many times that drive around additives were dangerous but idle only flushes were safe, and then when you googled to find some supporting material on seals and engine flushing you turned up something that you read too quickly and which ended up saying that any idle flush was dangerous.

Skyship - you are the Basil Fawlty of Insurance Investigators! Now that you are in Germany just don't mention the war!
crackmeup2.gif

I do appreciate your thoughtful and courteous reply. Very well stated. All the best and stay safe out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back