PQIA"s synthetic find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyship
Does it have a Cat fitted?

LoL!!-- Wrong choice of words since I'm not a cat lover. Just dogs in this house so I guess I should have said the car growls but that wouldn't sound right coming from a little 4 cyl. Corolla. I guess it just runs smoother with less clatter--there that will work!!!!!

I've mentioned and am impressed with how quiet the new QS oils seem to keep my engines in 3 cars(Nissan-QSGB, Firebird-DEFY, Lexus-QSUD all 5W30) and the comments came back as...the QS oils mush have lots of Boron. But, is this test of Syn Oils, the QSUD only had 5ppm of Boron...Hmmmm!

I'm using QSUD 5W30 in my wifes Lexus and it's as quiet as any of the [quieter] oils, as there are some oils that make the engine more audiable and even some lifter tick.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've mentioned and am impressed with how quiet the new QS oils seem to keep my engines in 3 cars(Nissan-QSGB, Firebird-DEFY, Lexus-QSUD all 5W30) and the comments came back as...the QS oils mush have lots of Boron. But, is this test of Syn Oils, the QSUD only had 5ppm of Boron...Hmmmm!

I'm using QSUD 5W30 in my wifes Lexus and it's as quiet as any of the [quieter] oils, as there are some oils that make the engine more audiable and even some lifter tick.

That is the exact same experience that we have in my wife's Corolla with QSUD.

The VOA flashpoint went from 425 to 440c which made me think it might be a different oil.

The reproducibility of the ASTM D92 Flash Point test is +- 16°F, so these results are not suspect. Flash points of 425°F and 457°F on the same sample run at different times are considered acceptable under the ASTM method. It's just not a very accurate test.

Tom NJ

What about the rest of the additives?

Maybe a slight reformulation with the switch to GTL?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I missed this, thanks for bringing it up.

Link:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/consolidatedpagefinl.html

Lots of interesting stuff there. Some surprising numbers on the Castrol on magnesium and TBN. It looks like the "cleaning" power on the Ultra is virtually identical to Platinum, but Ultra's low, low NOACK held up so the difference is apparently in base stocks. Synpower looks rather pedestrian (typical of Valvoline) but if you add the sodium to the calcium it should actually be right behind the Pennzoils in cleaning power. I would not have expected that.

QSUD looks good as usual. It also makes me wish the Mobil Super Syn was not so hard to find at a good price, a boron heavy add pack oftens runs really, really quiet.

Also PP had no boron where PU did. Makes you wonder what else is in PU that we can't see.

I bet the stench for sure, PU.

The Edge 5/30 is an oldish product and most folks will be looking more at their 20 grades for new petrol cars or 40 grades for diesels.
Volvo did a real good study of the different oils some years ago and for their diesels the winner was Castrol Magnetec 5/30 or 40 and Edge 5/30 or 40. They were the most expensive major brand standard oils at the time the contract was signed and are still expensive.
The add pack was changed to allow more efficient use of ZnDDP additive, by reducing the Calcium level to about half the normal figure and replacing it with Magnesium based detergents. That change was interesting because the Zinc reductions required for the new DPF oils (Acea C3 et al) do result in increased wear, but the change in the Phosphorus/Zinc combination resulted in an improvement in the last few years at lower total Zinc levels.

Remember that much of this is completely irrelevant to the tests at hand. The "A" in PQIA stands for America. They are testing oils for SN/GF-5 compliance. An A3/B3 or A3/B4 or 40 grade oil wouldn't have made it into testing for SN/GF-5 compliance in the first place.

The Edge 5w-30, whether we like the product or not, is SN/GF-5 compliant and certified (and dexos1 now too, and has been dexos1 in Canada for a while already). Heck, it might even be A1/B1 and A5/B5 for all I know. In any case, calling it "oldish" is a disservice to the testing that was done and the standards that it meets. It's actually certified to just about all the latest standards for its target market, notably SN, GF-5, and dexos1. DPF compatibility and ACEA C series certification are absolutely irrelevant.

For those mentioning the NOACK on PU, I have to admit I was skeptical about the claimed NOACK, but now I'm a believer. There's nothing wrong with being skeptical. I've caught some whoppers in data sheets before and my skepticism was justified.

Originally Posted By: cp3

OK, I'm going to ask! What's GTL?

Originally Posted By: cp3

OK, I'm going to ask! What's GTL?

GTL is "Gas-to-liquid" in this case meaning the base oil stock is derived from natural gas rather than crude oil. Most mass-market syns in the US have crude oil base stocks; GTL base stocks provide some advantages - low volatility for one.

While it seems Pennzoil Ultra has a good amount of GTL in its base stock, it's not at all clear that this has made its way to other SOPUS products like PP or QSUD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh

GTL is "Gas-to-liquid" in this case meaning the base oil stock is derived from natural gas rather than crude oil. Most mass-market syns in the US have crude oil base stocks; GTL base stocks provide some advantages - low volatility for one.

While it seems Pennzoil Ultra has a good amount of GTL in its base stock, it's not at all clear that this has made its way to other SOPUS products like PP or QSUD.

Not clear no but in light of the Noack values reported by PQIA it seems logical that at least some of their base is GTL.

This Quaker State document lists the NOAK for Ultimate durability 5W30 as 12.3%

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epc.shell.com%2FDocs%2FGPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003587115_201007020127.pdf&ei=3vr8UderAcPXyAGkyIHoDw&usg=AFQjCNFdhgOaVD6FCw_n9ALVTXmukvBBVQ&sig2=m0Y-0E2YMa-CdWE_Fz7oxw

PQIA listed the NOAK as 8.8%

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/consolidatedpagefinl.html

What do you make of that?

Also I read this “With the low Noack and CCS results the GTL base seems to be good stuff with out the higher VI.”

What is “GTL”

GTL, Oops, i see it now a few posts ago.

"GTL is "Gas-to-liquid" in this case meaning the base oil stock is derived from natural gas rather than crude oil. Most mass-market syns in the US have crude oil base stocks; GTL base stocks provide some advantages - low volatility for one."

I suspect the local German RV club that bulk buys Valvoline 15/40 for their diesels does it because many of them head into Eastern EU or Finland in the summer and they all use high Sulphur diesel fuel as a result, as do folks that head for Spain in winter.

There is no high-sulphur fuel available in Finland, diesel has been EURO IV compliant (less than 50ppm of sulphur) since 1993 and gasoline since 2003. As of 2009 all commonly available fuels contain less than 10ppm sulphur in compliance to EURO V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back