Purolator & Bosch Say No More Than 3,000 Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great topic MNL - thanks for posting and for all the leg-work!

Looks like I'll be avoiding Purolator-branded products and Bosch-branded filters for a while - if you can't stand behind your product I have no reason to use it.

I wonder how this applies to Purolator-manufactured Motorcraft and Quaker State filters... Does anyone want to volunteer to reach out to Motorcraft and SOPUS?

Originally Posted By: MNL

She search through their database for a few minutes and to put me hold for a while. (I had time to check my oil, tire pressure and spare, etc). She came back to tell me that from what her manager and co-workers told her that Purolator has NO WARRANTY for any of their filter.
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
She told me filters are wear items and they have no document of warranty on filters in their systems.

I know there's thousands of people driving around with Purolator/Bosch and have no problem but if any chance that something goes wrong; Purolator will not back up their products. (On the bright side, I found a nice deal on OEM Toyota filters.)

Purolator is smoking something.
43.gif
The warranty page in their hardcopy catalog you show a photo of is the same as the one on their website.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PuroLimitedWarranty.pdf

Purolator has a "claims department" if you have a warranty claim on a filter. They will send out a shipping kit so you can send in the filter for analysis by Purolator to determine if it's defective or not. If it is, then they will replace it or whatever needs to be done.

Don't know why everyone is on different pages at Purolator on this stuff. Kind of discouraging actually.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Great topic MNL - thanks for posting and for all the leg-work!

Looks like I'll be avoiding Purolator-branded products and Bosch-branded filters for a while - if you can't stand behind your product I have no reason to use it.

I wonder how this applies to Purolator-manufactured Motorcraft and Quaker State filters... Does anyone want to volunteer to reach out to Motorcraft and SOPUS?

Thanks, it started because Purolator was preferred by many people and I was going to start service ALL of my family's vehicle with Purolator oil filter. (I have a random mix filters and two Purolator right now)

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Purolator is smoking something.
43.gif
The warranty page in their hardcopy catalog you show a photo of is the same as the one on their website.

Purolator has a "claims department" if you have a warranty claim on a filter. They will send out a shipping kit so you can send in the filter for analysis by Purolator to determine if it's defective or not. If it is, then they will replace it or whatever needs to be done.

Don't know why everyone is on different pages at Purolator on this stuff. Kind of discouraging actually.
shocked.gif

Yea, no one is giving me a straight answer and in the warranty page it also state: "In addition, Purolator may change this limited warranty policy at any time." So for all we know, Purolator can say no at any moment.

Sure, Purolator may send out a new oil filter to the customer but what about the case if there is engine damage cause by the filter? Of course, a licensed repair shop or dealership is now needed to prove that the filter is the cause of damage and that's usually more than a cost of a Purolator. I know, product failure can happen to any manufacturer but it's much harder to trust a product from a manufacturer that won't stand behind it. For example, which would you buy? A laptop that has a 2-year warranty or one with no warranty. Both laptop may last as long as 5 years, but you feel much better knowing you have a 2-year warranty in case anything happen. Not only that, it show that the company has confident in their product.

Sure, Purolator may send out a new oil filter to the customer but what about the case if there is engine damage cause by the filter?

From the current Purolator Warranty Statement:

"If Purolator further determines, in its sole discretion, that the alleged defective Filter caused engine damage during the Warranty Period, Purolator will also repair or replace any damaged engine parts."

Sounds like their warranty statement covers engine damaged proven to be a result of a Purolator filter failure.

"Purolator may change this limited warranty policy at any time. Please refer to www.purolatorautofilters.net for the most current version of this limited warranty policy."

All they are saying here is that their warranty statement could be changed at any time, and if you want to see what the latest warranty statement is, then you need to refer to it posted on their website, just like I did with the link above.

If you had a Purolator filter fail and ruin your engine yesterday, then based on the warranty statement I'm reading right now it says Purolator would cover the repair costs of your engine if they found that the filter failure actually caused the engine damage.

Doesn't really sound any different that any other filter manufacturer's warranty that I've seen. It's just that the people working at Purolator don't even know what their own official warranty statement says.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
From the current Purolator Warranty Statement:

"If Purolator further determines, in its sole discretion, that the alleged defective Filter caused engine damage during the Warranty Period, Purolator will also repair or replace any damaged engine parts."

Sounds like their warranty statement covers engine damaged proven to be a result of a Purolator filter failure.

"Purolator may change this limited warranty policy at any time. Please refer to www.purolatorautofilters.net for the most current version of this limited warranty policy."

All they are saying here is that their warranty statement could be changed at any time, and if you want to see what the latest warranty statement is, then you need to refer to it posted on their website, just like I did with the link above.

If you had a Purolator filter fail and ruin your engine yesterday, then based on the warranty statement I'm reading right now it says Purolator would cover the repair costs of your engine if they found that the filter failure actually caused the engine damage.

Doesn't really sound any different that any other filter manufacturer's warranty that I've seen. It's just that the people working at Purolator don't even know what their own official warranty statement says.

Yea, I hope they stand by that warranty. At worst, the customer has some thing to lean on in small claim court. It but bother me that everyone I contact at Purolator acted as if that warranty doesn't exist.

I know link above should show the latest version of the warranty but they also cover their end about everything on their website:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/General/Popup/Pages/Terms.aspx
Quote:
While the information provided in believed to be accurate, it may include errors or inaccuracies. Purolator Filters NA LLC will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from use of this web site, including, but not limited to, direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.

I just hope that the warranty is accurate; okay, I'm stretching far. I'll call the hotline tomorrow and have them pull up and read this warranty and see what they say. I will try to record it too. After that we can conclude that many people at Purolator don't know anything about their product. Hopefully, that doesn't spread to manufacturing.

Those who can't do teach.
Those who can't teach teach gym.
Those who can't teach gym answer tech help lines.
Those who can't answer tech help lines forget to breathe and die.

I seem to recall that there have been a few people on BITOG who had an engine failure or filter failure, and purolator asked them to send them the filter for examination. I think they do actually care, but the minimum wage guys who answer the phone and work in that department aren't trained at all.

I'm guessing, and its ONLY a guess, that their filters are superior to their customer service/tech reps but until I know for sure, no more Purolators for me.

Last edited:
I sent the Puro "PRO" guys an email regarding my use of the Bosch D+ D3520 in my Cummins for Dodge's recommended 10K OCI, I got a reply saying it was bumped up the chain, I'll post what I hear from them, and I was going to change the oil on it as soon as the weather breaks-there'll be photos of the one I take off (which has been on for TWO YEARS!) when I do it.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I seem to recall that there have been a few people on BITOG who had an engine failure or filter failure, and purolator asked them to send them the filter for examination. I think they do actually care, but the minimum wage guys who answer the phone and work in that department aren't trained at all.
I think it's safe to say that. It's just that one of our favorite manufacturer just have bad customer service and it leave a bad taste. I hope someone higher up at Purolotat/Bosch/Group7 (whoever) come across this thread and retrain their employees.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I sent the Puro "PRO" guys an email regarding my use of the Bosch D+ D3520 in my Cummins for Dodge's recommended 10K OCI, I got a reply saying it was bumped up the chain, I'll post what I hear from them, and I was going to change the oil on it as soon as the weather breaks-there'll be photos of the one I take off (which has been on for TWO YEARS!) when I do it.
Thanks for e-mailing them, please post the result here too. I'm not sure if we are allow to post email but was the reply from a guy named Murray @ Bosch?

I found the Bosch filter warranty too. (fairly new too)
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Filters/Documents/2012_Bosch_Filter_Warranty.pdf

I e-mail the "PRO" both Purolator and Bosch warranties and simple ask if they are valid. It's a yes or no question and they can't dodge it anymore. (But he could simply not reply) I notice that both warranty didn't limited to just oil filter and my guess is that the warranty also apply to all of their filters. (fuel, air, cabin, etc.)

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Pure oil now. Pure oil later. No more Pure oil.
0-------------3000---------3001

This is the best part of this thread!!

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Interesting they mention Mobil and state using it won't invalidate warranty.
Really, where? If it was from the picture I posted on the last page, the statement was on a Mobil1 Extended Performance oil filter. I should have made that clearer since both PuroONE and Mobil1 box are similar in color.

I found this today, here's a Quaker State oil filter made by Purolator. (I recall QS and Pennzoil used to be made by Fram but change manufacturer while retain the old numbering system) Anyhow, it's not hard to write the warranty on the box as shown here, but I guess the warranty is through Sopus. They even wrote about the OEM like the Mobil1 and this is a $3 filter.
IMG_1906_zps652702e6.jpg

But the tech hotline on QS website is the same one from Purolator (facepalm)
http://www.quakerstate.com/#/products/oil-filters
BTW, I haven't got an e-mail back from Purolator/Bosch yet.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I think it's safe to say that. It's just that one of our favorite manufacturer just have bad customer service and it leave a bad taste. I hope someone higher up at Purolotat/Bosch/Group7 (whoever) come across this thread and retrain their employees.

Thanks for e-mailing them, please post the result here too. I'm not sure if we are allow to post email but was the reply from a guy named Murray @ Bosch?

I found the Bosch filter warranty too. (fairly new too)
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Filters/Documents/2012_Bosch_Filter_Warranty.pdf

I e-mail the "PRO" both Purolator and Bosch warranties and simple ask if they are valid. It's a yes or no question and they can't dodge it anymore. (But he could simply not reply) I notice that both warranty didn't limited to just oil filter and my guess is that the warranty also apply to all of their filters. (fuel, air, cabin, etc.)
Yes-that's who it was, and I made sure to word the question in a way that references the Dodge/OEM recommendation of a 10K OCI (which even though it's been 2 years I haven't approached yet), when I hear something I'll post the answer. I think the filters are fine, the D3520 is built like a tank & could probably be thrown through a wall without hurting it-I just think you're experiencing a major "C.Y.A." event!

Yes-that's who it was, and I made sure to word the question in a way that references the Dodge/OEM recommendation of a 10K OCI (which even though it's been 2 years I haven't approached yet), when I hear something I'll post the answer. I think the filters are fine, the D3520 is built like a tank & could probably be thrown through a wall without hurting it-I just think you're experiencing a major "C.Y.A." event!
Thanks for the help. I haven't gotten an e-mail back yet so I guess they ignore my e-mail now. I guess it'll call them later today.

Also found the Group& warranty, it's exact the same wording as the Purolator and Bosch.
http://www.group7autofilters.com/warranty.html

Well, I called Purolator hotline yesterday so enjoy the 10min video.

35.gif
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

The only thing I edit was my number. Other than that, it's the full conversation about the warranty and you can hear they don't care about the OE recommendation. There is some pause in the video but I left it there and he didn't need to know I call them before.
whistle.gif
It's not embbeding correctly so you might have to link over to Photobucket. sorry

That was painful. You had that poor guy completely flummoxed. I could picture him looking around in a panic for a way out of that conversation.

Sadly, tech line people are rarely competent to discuss tech info. They just follow a scripted flow-chart and if the questions don't fit, they're instructed to tell you to talk to a fictitious manager who is never there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back