Subaru AWD defeated by 3" of snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny.
We've never had a problem with either of our Subies in any conditions.
They simply don't get stuck, but then no car will if on decent tires and decently driven.

Also, for reference, my wife paid for a winter driving course last winter, up in NH. While I actually paid attention to the instructor and spent most of the time out of boost and learning how to drive in the snow, I was also able to drive a little recklessly, as well. With the snow tires, I was able to hit full boost and still have most of that energy go toward forward propulsion! I've auto-crossed once before, which was really fun, but I've got to say that the feeling of maintaining control while full-boosting (18#) up a snow-covered hill was absolutely exhilarating!

FWIW, even the snow-tire equipped Honda Civics were able to maneuver around obstacles just as deftly as my STI, and most of the smaller FWD cars were able to out-brake me, because, regardless of who many LSD's I have, we were all AWS (all-wheel stop,) and their narrower snow tires definitely gave them the advantage in that regard.

Last edited:
Best thing I have ever had in the snow was an 88 Dodge Omni, Better than any truck I have ever had and even though my Equinox is excellent with AWD, TC, and Stabilitrack, just give me the ole' Omni anyday!

Yep, my mom's Subaru Legacy on the junk all-seasons she puts on it gets complaints of how it slides down icy hills despite being AWD. After learning to drive on the scary cheap no-name tires she insisted/insists on putting on her cars, my cars got snow tires and decent all-seasons just in case we got caught in a late-season snow.

I'll definitely be putting the Jeep on proper snow tires for next winter, now that I have a second set of wheels. With a limited slip rear diff (front is open), it's close to unstoppable in deep snow with good A/Ts, but it's fairly helpless in slush (tires are too wide to cut through the wet, sloppy stuff). The tires make a huge difference, but having a good suspension setup, etc. helps a lot too with avoiding terminal understeer, etc. The tires are still key to being able to stop and get moving though.

Honestly, it's surprised me a few times with how well it does for not being on snow tires, especially with stiffer than stock rear springs (fixed the understeer), tons of caster (drives like a drift car in the snow), etc. It'll just go no matter what you do, pretty much, and it'll always turn when you want it to (and if it doesn't, give it more throttle, and it'll either pull around the turn if in 4wd or kick the tail out and make the front end hook up if in 2wd). After Nemo, I was crusing through 6 - 8" of snow with 12 - 14" drifts effortlessly in 2wd (and had a bit of fun blowing through them sideways in some parking lots). I only had to throw it in 4wd when I needed to get it going in a hurry to avoid campus safety
blush.gif

Last edited:
With 3 car's in the house-all had winter tires/rim.Since 1995 when Tire Rack introduce Bridgestone Blizzak,what a difference
on driving on winter weather.Our winter tires last anywhere from
6 to 9 years.It's like a dollar a day from mid nov. to march.

I'm reminded all the time just how much a game changer winter tires, added with sensible driving discipline, will keep you out of the snow bank.

I was driving on a 25mph, two-lane rural road outside of Champaign, IL. There was approx. 6"'s of fresh snow on the ground that had yet to be plowed. I'm in right lane minding my business at 30mph and I'm wondering why in the SAM HILL is this new model GMC Sierra pu tailgating me. He would get up to my vehicle and abruptly brake then let up. This goes on for light after light. Mind you he had the left lane free to overtake but chose not to.

So next light I had had enough and braked last min before coming up to a stop sign. I stop on a dime. This driver behind hits his brakes and senses a crash so he steers to the left (prob didn't want to steer to right to avoid crashing into snowbank) and completely skids through a 4-way stop intersection and hits a snowbank. I drive by and asked if he was alright and he was and told him to slow down. Turns out the idiot had a GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid and that explained the regenerative braking and tailgating.

Synopsis: Drive under the speed limit during a fresh snow especially when you don't have snow tires because when it comes time to brake you need more time & space.
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 ftw - All-seasons itd (in the ditch).

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
a limited slip differential would have probably prevented it. Also, the snow was very dense and difficult to push through, so the tires that were spinning only dug themselves deeper.

If it was a 3.6R... it would have a rear limited slip diff.

the 2.5's have open diffs in the front & rear.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Also, for reference, my wife paid for a winter driving course last winter, up in NH. While I actually paid attention to the instructor and spent most of the time out of boost and learning how to drive in the snow, I was also able to drive a little recklessly, as well. With the snow tires, I was able to hit full boost and still have most of that energy go toward forward propulsion! I've auto-crossed once before, which was really fun, but I've got to say that the feeling of maintaining control while full-boosting (18#) up a snow-covered hill was absolutely exhilarating!

FWIW, even the snow-tire equipped Honda Civics were able to maneuver around obstacles just as deftly as my STI, and most of the smaller FWD cars were able to out-brake me, because, regardless of who many LSD's I have, we were all AWS (all-wheel stop,) and their narrower snow tires definitely gave them the advantage in that regard.

AWD helps you stop better too. Your argument is invalid [That's the thought process of those who blindly buy AWD]

I will say, AWD and 4 snow tires really gets going on hills. I took the escape (and my Focus) to a slippery, snowy hill. While the focus wasn't able to acellerate full throttle without spinning, I felt confident in my ability to start and stop.

The AWD on teh escape with snow tires - WOW! Mashed the gas and it took off like a rocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back