Subaru AWD defeated by 3" of snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just meant to be a humorous observation rather than a condemnation of Subaru:

Last weekend my mother-in-law, who owns a 2011 Subaru Outback, came to visit. She parked in the lawn next to our driveway. There was about 3 inches of wet snow, and she got stuck. We were hoping that over her 3-day visit the snow would melt enough that she could drive out, but in the end I had to shovel her out.

There are several reasons why Subaru's vaunted AWD was defeated. She had the standard all-season tires, which definitely look like they're tuned more for quietness and efficiency than traction. Also, the right front and left rear tires were the only ones spinning - a limited slip differential would have probably prevented it. Also, the snow was very dense and difficult to push through, so the tires that were spinning only dug themselves deeper.

For performance and traction in snow, there are 3 things that matter: Tires, tires, and...tires...

Last edited:
I'm surprised that in a 2011 the ABS/Stability control system doesn't brake the spinning wheel tranfering power to the other wheel on the axle? I thought that was a fairly standard thing by now, though our Highlander is the only vehicle I've ever owned that does it (I'm not sure about the Sienna).

Turn of the traction control and it likely would have gotten out. I think called VDC off.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
For performance and traction in snow, there are 3 things that matter: Tires, tires, and...tires...

So true. I see many 4wd/AWD stuck/off the road stuck and I pass them by with my 05 Corolla with cheap snow tires.

Once you get wheel spin and are not moving all you are doing is making hard ice. Once that happens very little is going to help....

Bill

Yup. The OEM Conti's are lousey in winter conditions.

A set of winter rubber and the only time I've gotten a Subaru stuck was by high-centering.

AWD (Especially on bald tires) isn't the end-all be-all in the snow.

A few weeks ago, I was behind a 4x4 pickup that couldn't get up the hill. My front drive Focus was able to walk right on by him, stop and start out on the hill again. Snow tires make a HUGE difference.

My parent's '13 escape came with Continental contipro contact tires from the factory. Horrible in the snow. The snow tires we got on it now make it unstoppable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

This x2.

Tires make all the difference. I love when I pull out stuck 4x4s from a snowbank and they claim "I have 4 wheel drive, not sure why I got stuck".

The only thing that will stop an AWD Subaru with good tires is ground clearance. Then again, if the snow is above the bumper you probably shouldn't be driving in it anyway.

I find it funny when my neighbours with AWD Subarus high center themselves on the snow the plow leaves at the end of the driveway. Not so funny helping them scrape the snow out from under the engine cradle to help get them out....

I limited slip makes a huge difference too.

My Vibe is horrible in the snow, as it's a one wheel peal only. The other wheel doesn't give any effort.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Then again, if the snow is above the bumper you probably shouldn't be driving in it anyway.

Now you tell me!
grin2.gif

dsc0377v.jpg

(after driving in 22 inch deep snow for a few miles and 10-16 inches for about 40 miles)

Limited slip is only so good if your vehicle is light. On AS tires my 318i with LSD doesnt do very well. With snow tires, it is unstoppable.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

My parent's '13 escape came with Continental contipro contact tires from the factory. Horrible in the snow. The snow tires we got on it now make it unstoppable.

My recently totaled '11 Outback had factory Conti ProContacts. They were junk tires all the way around. Terrible in the snow,tramlined like crazy,and were considerably louder than the Blizzak DMV-1s I ran in the winter.

she probably didnt let the system work.

you turn off vdc and keep your foot on the gas

an the brake assist will kick in to transfer power

but bald tires dont help... she should have at least seen all 4 tires going if driven correctly.

outback has a similar awd system to the forester in the video above.

Last edited:
I have more snow than that and all-season tires and had no trouble at all.

My tires are pretty new and surprising good though (sumo LSTs).

I wonder again if the traction control impedes it. My Acura MDX gets stuck if you do not disable VSA(stability/traction control) in difficult conditions with Mich Latitude all-seasons.

My wife's 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon(lower ground clearance) with terrible in snow Yokohama Avid Envigour all-season tires did pull out of 13"+ okay with some wheel spin.

However the Legacy GT 5mt lacks any electronics in AWD has dedicated 45/55 split of torque and LSD on the rear. Mechanical bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back