atf as penetrating oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone herd of 50/50 atf and a solvent like b12 used as penetrating oil. this is news to me but i herd it really works.
any thoughts?

There are a lot of articles online touting a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF as a penetrating oil. Some of them go 60/40 acetone/ATF. Others add a teaspoon of wintergreen oil to the mix. A lot of people say this works best if you mix small batches as you need it. Most people seem to say that it works as well as any commercial penetrating oil, but a few people say that Kroil or PB Blaster still works a little better. If you can make a small mess once in a while and it's valuable to you, it's probably worth a try anyway. Let us know how it works for you. I don't have a need for any penetrating oil right now or I'd head out to the garage right now!

cheers3.gif

atf is like all detergent lol
i use it to clean varnish out of engines and quiet noisy lifters.

the idea is for my up coming tuneup, i need to back the plugs out a 1/4 turn and soak with something that with break up the carbon so my plugs don't break off. i really want something that creeps or "wicks" down to the cylinder. i figure ill let it set over night soaking and pull the plugs in the morning. then spin it over to get it out of the cylinder before installing new plugs.

also i think b12 would work well because it has acetone, toluene, and the rest of the paint store in it. lol

Hello, After reading posts here I mixed up a small batch (12 0z. contact lens solution bottle-it has THE BEST little hole for controlled delivery) of 0/50 ATF/acetone. It works real well. What is b12? Kira

Berryman B-12 is sold in auto stores as a fuel system cleaner. I use it 50/50 with ATF to make a version of Ed's Red to clean guns. B-12 has just about every solvent known to western science, among them is acetone. The fact that it thins out already thin ATF means it should be a really super penetrant with some lubricating properties.

Would manual transmission Fluid work as well?
(Or rather, what is the difference in composition btw manual and Automatic Transmission fluid?)
I have a bottle of Amsoil MTF sitting around and am wondering if it would be a good penetrant mixed w acetone.
Many thanks,
C-

Quote:

I thought we were discussing penetrating fluids and not engine flushes?

I take it you have a chemical analysis to back up this myth?

If I were making a homeade penetrating fluid, I would use the thinnest fluid I could find with some lubricating qualities.

Someone mentioned Berryman's B-12 and it does contain about every solvent available for fuel systems cleaning. But use gloves, it contains some nasty stuff.

One of the components you want in a penetrating fluid is something called a "surfactant." I'll let you Google that. The solvents and acetone help with that.

The other component needed is a lubricant to hold the surfactants and to provide fricton reducton. The thin base oil of ATF helps with that.

Another component you want is an Anti-Wear agent and ATF contains about 300 ppm of anti-wear agent TCP (or similar) to help twist bolts wthout galling. It also attacks the rust.

So for a quick, home made penetrating fluid, I would suggest 25% B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner and 75% DexronVI, OR 25% B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner and 75% Valvoline's Maxlife 6 cSt ATF.

Be careful with anything containing acetone or ANY ketone, since it may attack elastomers and paint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: electrolover

the idea is for my up coming tuneup, i need to back the plugs out a 1/4 turn and soak with something that with break up the carbon so my plugs don't break off. i really want something that creeps or "wicks" down to the cylinder. i figure ill let it set over night soaking and pull the plugs in the morning. then spin it over to get it out of the cylinder before installing new plus

Why wouldn't you just use something designed for this like Pb Blaster or deep creep? Ive personally found triflow to work exceptionally well but its rather pricey for general use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back