Mobil 1 VS Valvoline Synpower Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG friends,

I am no expert in gear oils, so I thought this might be a good time for some questions. I need to change fluids in my 95 Wrangler. I always hear about Mobil 1, but I was curious about the Valvoline Synpower 75w90 gear oil also. I am looking for the best synthetic for my axles. Dana 30 front, and Dana 35 rear pushing 265/75/r16 tires. I do normal driving, and some trails. No crazy off-roading or rock crawling.

If anyone has a better recommendation please feel free to chime in. I do not want to go overboard in price. I know there are some expensive gear oils out there I am sure.

Thanks for looking and for any help!

Last edited:
I tried M1 in mine and it made it noisy. Amsoil made it smooth as silk and silent. That`s my recommendation. Imo,Amsoil`s gear oils are the best. I`m using Amsoil AGL. Their Severe Gear is their top of the line,I think,right?

Last edited:
I'm running the Synpower 75W-140 in my truck and it seems to be working great. I would have gone with Mobil 1, but in 75W-140 it was $21 and the Synpower was $13. Big difference when I needed 4 quarts of it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I tried M1 in mine and it made it noisy. Amsoil made it smooth as silk and silent. That's my recommendation. Imo, Amsoil's gear oils are the best. I'm using Amsoil AGL. Their Severe Gear is their top of the line,I think, right?

Amsoil differential fluid is one of the best, if not the best. It may cost a little more than others, about the same as Redline, but the cost different divided for 4-5 years is less than a quarter a month, or a penny a day.

I currently have syn power 75/90 in the rear of my Silverado. Don't notice any difference between it and the amsoil svg that was in there previously. Needed gear lube in a pinch and the Valvoline was a good price.

No need for special oils in your D30 and Turdy 5. If you must have a syn, Supertech gears oils have always served me well.

If you wheel at all, even the slightest trails, I would pick up a set of spare axleshafts for the rear or upgrade to a set of 27 spline Yukon alloy's.

In my opinion,
See what the manual says, as you don't want to mix gear oils. The OEM may not be a full synthetic as they make very little difference. If you intend to use a different oil then do a few drain and fills to get the old stuff out, always a good idea anyway.
Using the wrong type of manual or auto box oil or fluid can be much more damaging to the box bearings than using the wrong oil in most engines.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
No need for special oils in your D30 and Turdy 5. If you must have a syn, Supertech gears oils have always served me well.

If you wheel at all, even the slightest trails, I would pick up a set of spare axleshafts for the rear or upgrade to a set of 27 spline Yukon alloy's.

Thank you for the advise!

I've always used Synpower gear oil in my rear wheel drive vehicles. Never an issue. Mobil 1 gear oil made my front dif on my Grand Cherokee noisy.

I used M1 75-90 for many years and miles, and found it to be outstanding and never had any noise that others speak of.

Red line makes the best gear oil on the planet. Every guy I know at the track and in the mud uses red line exclusively.
I used to think rp was top notch til I used it in my Harley's tranny and it got reduced to water in short order,less than 5000 kms. I've had red line in for 20000 kms now and it still shifts perfectly.
It costs more because it is more. On a easily driven car you don't need such a high quality gear oil but for guys who regularly beat on their equipment red line is the only option.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Maybe a silly question but are both synpower and M1 true full synthetics?

No. They are hydrocracked conventional basestocks however the performance differences between true syns and hydrocracked conventionals is almost nil. Focus on the add packs,not the basestocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back