any inline 6 battle stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ABCarr
I've owned 2:

- L24 in a '70 Datsun 240Z
- L28 in a '77 Datsun 280Z

Both great engines; loved the "howl" they made. I appreciate I-6 motors in classic RWD setups.....super easy servicing; plugs laid out nicely along the block along with oil filter; plenty of space to work.

Yeah, I remember my buddies Mom had a 68 Chevelle 4door with the 250cid inline six. You could jump in the engine bay with that motor to work on it. And it surprisingly had pretty good power in that car too.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
My 1987 Black Jeep Cherokees 1st Year 4.0 currently has 296,909 miles. Just changed out the first seal to go bad, the front main. Excellent compression, oil dirties to a Brownish color around 8,000 miles, could go 10,000 mile OCIs with Conventional Oil and Confidence. My 96 Cherokees 250,5?? mile 4.0 is so Smooothe and has a Wicked PowerBand, my 99s 141,??? mile 4.0 did have a bad #2 Piston to Piston Pin Relationship, but Now is ReBuilt, Gold 2000s 4.0 was at 213,212 miles before being torn down due to Cracked 0331, now currently being ReBUILT, and my Beloved SilverStone Metallics 64,820 mile 4.0 that Runs like She just came off the ShowRoom Floor is the Smoothest Inline 6 I have ever driven. Smoothe as Silk at 500RPM Idle up to 5300Redline.

Is it a 5 speed? My auto 4.0 never will go above 4500.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is it a 5 speed? My auto 4.0 never will go above 4500.

Interesting. The 4.0/42RE combo in the ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees shifts at 4800 rpm at WOT. I'm surprised the AW4 shift point is set lower.

I haven't had it past 3K since I got it. No reason to be spinning it that fast. It'll bark the tires on the 1-2 shift ... too much strain on the drivetrain and I don't want to toss a piston skirt.

Having driven a few of my parents 4.0 5 speed TJs, they aren't much good above 4K. They just make noise.

96+ Jeep 4.0s occasionally do break piston skirts (although it's fairly rare). I've wound my mom's 4.0 up to 4800 on the shifts plenty of times, and it usually idles a little smoother after a bit of hard running if it's been just lazing around town at 2500 rpm or under for a while. The power starts to drop off a bit by 4500 (peak hp is at 4000) and falls off a cliff around 4800 - 4900.

Now if you want driveline stress, I routinely bark the tires on the 1-2 shift in my Jeep (not an I6 though), but that's at WOT and 5400 rpm (150 rpm past factory redline). So far, nothing has broken because of it (somehow). The only time I was worried about the driveline was when I wound it through 1st at WOT while towing another Jeep on a trailer (11,300 lbs combined weight). Getting it up to 60 was about 12 seconds of sustained WOT and it still barked the tires slightly on the 1-2 shift. It still took it just fine. Considering your XJ is a good bit lighter than my ZJ (and probably about the same driveline stress with you likely having bigger tires), it should be fine.

Originally Posted By: jdawg89
Shannow. You have yourself a real nice inliner. I love my old 6s and nice car sounds cool morris

Engine with the triple S.U.s was in this.

lj.jpg

Out and about today, and here's a couple in action...one the same model as mine was...

and one in a very novel open wheeler that had me walking around like a half open pocket knife.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
96+ Jeep 4.0s occasionally do break piston skirts (although it's fairly rare). I've wound my mom's 4.0 up to 4800 on the shifts plenty of times, and it usually idles a little smoother after a bit of hard running if it's been just lazing around town at 2500 rpm or under for a while. The power starts to drop off a bit by 4500 (peak hp is at 4000) and falls off a cliff around 4800 - 4900.

Now if you want driveline stress, I routinely bark the tires on the 1-2 shift in my Jeep (not an I6 though), but that's at WOT and 5400 rpm (150 rpm past factory redline). So far, nothing has broken because of it (somehow). The only time I was worried about the driveline was when I wound it through 1st at WOT while towing another Jeep on a trailer (11,300 lbs combined weight). Getting it up to 60 was about 12 seconds of sustained WOT and it still barked the tires slightly on the 1-2 shift. It still took it just fine. Considering your XJ is a good bit lighter than my ZJ (and probably about the same driveline stress with you likely having bigger tires), it should be fine.

You don't have a toothpick Dana 35c axle, though!

Also, the 360 Magnum is good for ~5500RPM...the low redline was due to the OEM "beer barrel" intake, which basically falls on its face around 4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back