Purolator & Bosch Say No More Than 3,000 Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNL

Purolator oil filter, especially the PureONE have been a big favorite on this board. I use them myself too. But I notice they don't say anything about the maximum oil change interval the filters can handle.

I called their hotline and ask if the Purolator Classic can handle the manufacturer recommended 5K oil change interval. The guy told me only 3K. Then I ask about the PureOne and he say only 3K. Then I ask about the Bosch DistancePlus and he told me again that I can only use it for 3,000 miles. Before I ask about the new synthetic filter, he cut me off and told me to ignore the manufacturer's recommended and change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. Well...thanks.

I figure maybe it was a guy who only works the phone with a book. Maybe I wasn't clear. So I decided to e-mail Bosch filter the following below.

Quote:
Hello, I have a question about how long the Purolator Classic can be use in service. The car is a 2002 Camry with the 2.4L and in the factory service manual, it states that severe service (stop and go) recommend an oil and filter change every 5,000 miles with conventional 5W-30. On the Purolator website it states “Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.” This is understandable since many GM, Ford, and Honda vehicles use an oil monitor system that can go up to 7,500-10,000 miles before a oil change is needed; most of the time with synthetic motor oil. But the website doesn’t show anything like that about the Classic filter.

My question is with conventional oil and following the manufacturer’s recommendation, can the Purolator Classic be use for 5,000 miles? I have the same question about the Bosch Premium and DistancePlus oil filter; can it be use for any oil change interval recommended by the manufactures like the PureONE?

I have both the Bosch and Purolator oil filter in my just garage ready to be use for an oil change later next week and just want to be certain as a customer that these oil filters can be use in service just like the OEM filter of the same application.

Thank you for your reply.

This is all I got back from them.

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. The recommended change interval on Purolator Classic, PureOne and Bosch oil filters is 3 months/3,000 miles.

Thank you,

James

Now I wonder how can they make oil filters that can't meet manufacturer's spec? This pretty much mean that none of their filter can go for more than 3,000 miles.

Then I notice that no where on Purolator's box and website they mention anything about the auto manufacturer warranty. Napa (WIX) clearly writes on the box and website "New car and equipment warranties remain in effect when NAPA filters are used." They even clearly state that "For OE oil change intervals that recommend longer than conventional oil change intervals, or when using synthetic blended oils, select our premium GoldNAPAFilters." That show confident in their products and in their video, they explain the Silver oil filter is good for basic 4K miles oil change. (Fram have similar statements about warranties)

This bother me a bit since I love Purolator filters but with answers like that from them, I'm not happy. I might go back to the Napa filters which cost a bit more. What you do guy's think? We have seen many pictures of Purolator and Bosch oil filter holding up well beyond 3K miles but why would they say not to?

Filter manufactures want you to change oil filter every 3k/3mo, air filter every 12k/12mo so that they can sell more filters.

Originally Posted By: MNL
I called their hotline and ask if the Purolator Classic can handle the manufacturer recommended 5K oil change interval. The guy told me only 3K. Then I ask about the PureOne and he say only 3K. Then I ask about the Bosch DistancePlus and he told me again that I can only use it for 3,000 miles. Before I ask about the new synthetic filter, he cut me off and told me to ignore the manufacturer's recommended and change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles.
33.gif
Unfortunately the folks that work the Puro PRO, clearly don't read the recommendation on their own web site.

The statement reads Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. Meaning the P1 or Classic will do the vehicle manufacturer's recommended oci. And to say the that the BD+ should be changed every 3k is even more ludicrous, it has a rated 29g holding capacity. Having run all the filters mentioned far beyond 3k with no issues, I'm totally confident. You can google search any of these filters and see many dissections for longer than 3k.

But, as was recently discussed in another thread, Purolator and Bosch are doing themselves no service with the inane answers coming out of the PRO and Bosch Hotline. Except 'maybe' for selling more filters to uninformed customers.

You should ask the guy on the line to what "DistancePlus" refers? I guess it means past the mailbox and actually out onto the roadway.

Sad the tech line is now more concerned with sales than actual info. I hang my head to admit i installed a white can just this morning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
They're likely trained to tell you 3000 miles and nothing else to avoid any liability issues.

Hear no evil, see no evil...

Yep, sounds like the chap was trained by the Iffy lube threekay lobby group. They are trained every day just to say 3K, whilst all the German green oil sales reduction team are singing 30K or bust.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
You should ask the guy on the line to what "DistancePlus" refers? I guess it means past the mailbox and actually out onto the roadway.
lol.gif
Good one.

Quote:
Sad the tech line is now more concerned with sales than actual info. I hang my head to admit i installed a white can just this morning.

No need to hang your head because you know more about the fci, than the 'answer line.' Sorry, calling it the Puro tech line is an oxymoron. For $3.27 you can get past it.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I called their hotline and ask if the Purolator Classic can handle the manufacturer recommended 5K oil change interval. The guy told me only 3K. Then I ask about the PureOne and he say only 3K. Then I ask about the Bosch DistancePlus and he told me again that I can only use it for 3,000 miles. Before I ask about the new synthetic filter, he cut me off and told me to ignore the manufacturer's recommended and change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles.
33.gif
Unfortunately the folks that work the Puro PRO, clearly don't read the recommendation on their own web site.

The statement reads Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. Meaning the P1 or Classic will do the vehicle manufacturer's recommended oci. And to say the that the BD+ should be changed every 3k is even more ludicrous, it has a rated 29g holding capacity. Having run all the filters mentioned far beyond 3k with no issues, I'm totally confident. You can google search any of these filters and see many dissections for longer than 3k.

But, as was recently discussed in another thread, Purolator and Bosch are doing themselves no service with the inane answers coming out of the PRO and Bosch Hotline. Except 'maybe' for selling more filters to uninformed customers.

+1000 ... squirrels on the Purolator Techline need to be fired. They don't even know what their own website says.

Quote:
Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.

I figure it's just to sale for filter too but still. Napa states that the OEM interval (7,500-10,000 miles commonly today) can be done with the GOLD filters while Fram allows 7500 miles on the Tough Guard and they sell a lot with those statements.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
They're likely trained to tell you 3000 miles and nothing else to avoid any liability issues.

Hear no evil, see no evil...

I think that's the most likely reason. I can't find any information about Purolator upholding vehicles warranties. Wix and Fram show documented that they filter will not void manufacturer's when the filter is used correctly. We came across stories of Fram replacing some engines due to the filter's fault.

For example, let's say a BITOGer have a car under warranty, have check the condition of his engine and analysis his oil and it show to hold up perfectly fine with the OEM interval of 5,000 miles. He decided to use a Purolater Classic recommended for this car because it was easier to get than an OEM filter. But then, let's say filter fails at 4,000 miles, killing the engine. Understandably, the car manufacturer won't fix the engine because it was proven that it was the filter fault. Our BITOGer calls Purolator but they won't help him because they said that the filter was use longer than the intended 3,000 miles. (Remember only the PureONE states "or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer") Now he's stuck with the repair bill.
frown.gif

We all heard of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act in which the use of aftermarket part can't void warrant UNLESS the cause of damage was by the aftermarket part. And we know many of us don't always use OEM during with warranty period.

Of course the oil filter manufacturer is going to give you the lowest recommendable OCI.

They want more consumption of their filters - not less!

For example, let's say a BITOGer have a car under warranty, have check the condition of his engine and analysis his oil and it show to hold up perfectly fine with the OEM interval of 5,000 miles. He decided to use a Purolater Classic recommended for this car because it was easier to get than an OEM filter. But then, let's say filter fails at 4,000 miles, killing the engine. Understandably, the car manufacturer won't fix the engine because it was proven that it was the filter fault. Our BITOGer calls Purolator but they won't help him because they said that the filter was use longer than the intended 3,000 miles. (Remember only the PureONE states "or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer") Now he's stuck with the repair bill.
frown.gif

They don't say anything about how long the Classic can be used, so how does one know it's only good for 3k or 3 months? If Purolator doesn't state it someplace in writing, then how can they deny a claim?

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/purolatoroilfilters.aspx

This is all I got back from them.

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. The recommended change interval on Purolator Classic, PureOne and Bosch oil filters is 3 months/3,000 miles.

Thank you,

James

If your engine is pretty new and in good shape, and you use a good engine oil that keeps things clean, then the Classic will go 5K easily. I do 5K OCIs with the Classic on my Altima with 50K miles on it. When the filters are cut open for inspection they look like good.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
They don't say anything about how long the Classic can be used, so how does one know it's only good for 3k or 3 months? If Purolator doesn't state it someplace in writing, then how can they deny a claim?

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/purolatoroilfilters.aspx

That's why I called and e-mail them and they said 3,000 miles limit on their oil filter. I do agree they needed everything in writing. I know the Classic can go longer than that, I done 5K on it too. But if anything was to happen beyond 3K, Purolator is in the safe to deny a claim.

That's why I called and e-mail them and they said 3,000 miles limit on their oil filter. I do agree they needed everything in writing. I know the Classic can go longer than that, I done 5K on it too. But if anything was to happen beyond 3K, Purolator is in the safe to deny a claim.

Then use a PureOne since they state right on their website that it can go as long as the vehicle manufacture's oil filter change recommendation.

Then use a PureOne since they state right on their website that it can go as long as the vehicle manufacture's oil filter change recommendation.

I know, I like the PureONE and trust all of their filter. It's just easier to get hold of a Puro Classic. What I'm try to bring up in this thread is the lack of information from Purolator about the Classic, Bosch filters and the hotline ill recommendation of 3K on the PureONE. I'm not a fan of Fram but they state that their basic Extra Guard is rated for 5K. Purolator could easily do that too.

I guess I better switch from P1s to the OCOD, after all, FRAM can predict the filter life of every particular car to the last mile no matter who owns it or drives it, and where and how.

On your way to the point of absurdity, you passed right by the validity in OP's concern.

This is a liability issue. He's identified a no-man's-land mileage where both the auto manufacturer and Purolator are within their rights to deny a warranty claim. The statement "everyone knows a Purolator classic and Bosch Distance+ are good for way more than 3000 miles" isn't worth the electrons that were wasted typing it when it comes to determining who is responsible for paying to fix your broken engine.

While this feels like a Tommy Boy "guarantee on the box" case, I would feel better if the wording were changed to match the PureOne, Wix, and Fram.

Originally Posted By: Fission
On your way to the point of absurdity, you passed right by the validity in OP's concern.

This is a liability issue. He's identified a no-man's-land mileage where both the auto manufacturer and Purolator are within their rights to deny a warranty claim. The statement "everyone knows a Purolator classic and Bosch Distance+ are good for way more than 3000 miles" isn't worth the electrons that were wasted typing it when it comes to determining who is responsible for paying to fix your broken engine.

While this feels like a Tommy Boy "guarantee on the box" case, I would feel better if the wording were changed to match the PureOne, Wix, and Fram.

Thank you for understanding. That was what I try to point out. Purolator just have to improve on their customer service and wording on the website.

What I learn on this site is some people get too defensive on their favorite product and turn a blind eye to the problem. I like Purolator as much as the next guy but in no way I want them to be like Fram. They just have to word each filter clearly.

Here's the question that needs to asked of the answer line reps, but better in an email for documentation purposes

Will running the P1 or Classic filter the vehicle manufacturers recommended oci/fci void the vehicle's warranty? For the P1 and Classic, any answer other than NO is in direct conflict with the Puro web site statement, and that rep is in trouble. Follow up with em copied to a supervisor.

While there is no website reference for Bosch afaik, the same question needs to be asked of BD+ or BP, if anything other than NO an immediate follow up em to a supervisor is in order. Trust me, unlikely Bosch wants to be known as voiding a vehicle manufacturer's warranty with it's use as recommended.

You don't care about the 3k recommendation, all you want to know is if the filter is used per vehicle recommendation, will it void the warranty. Nothing else.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Here's the question that needs to asked of the answer line reps, but better in an email for documentation purposes

Will running the P1 or Classic filter the vehicle manufacturers recommended oci void the vehicle's warranty? For the P1 and Classic, any answer other than NO is in direct conflict with the Puro web site statement, and that rep is in trouble. Follow up with em copied to a supervisor.

While there is no website reference for Bosch afaik, the same question needs to be asked of BD+ or BP, if anything other than NO an immediate follow up em to a supervisor is in order. Trust me, not unlikely Bosch wants to be known as voiding a vehicle manufacturer's warranty with it's use as recommended.

You don't care about the 3k recommendation, all you want to know is if the filter is used per vehicle recommendation, will it void the warranty. Nothing else.

I like they way you wrote the question and have e-mail them but I think it won't be until Monday when I get a respond since it’s the weekend. Once I get an e-mail that clearly state that ALL of Purolator and Bosch oil filters can be use with manufacturer OCI, I'll be happy. Also, Purolator "contact us" links to a Bosch e-mail, weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back