Do I need to lubricate a NEW speedometer cable??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a brand new ACDelco OEM Speedometer cable for my '87 Cutlass Ciera.

Do I need to lube it up before installing it? I would think that a brand spanking new cable need NOT be lubed by me, that they do it at the factory.

It's not an aftermarket cheapo speedo cable, it's an OEM replacement which is another reason that I feel it would be ready to install right out of the box.

I've done lots of Googling and read conflicting things on this subject, whether or not to lube a new cable and what lube to use in general for speedo cables (I do have the wax based motorcycle chain lube if needed for the job).

Any help in shedding light on this for me would be greatly appreciated, TIA!!

Pancef cable lubricant (or any graphite lock/cable oil)
scl300.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carwreck
Pancef cable lubricant (or any graphite lock/cable oil)
scl300.png

Thanx, but my thread is more about whether or not to lube a new cable rather than what kind of lube to use on a speedo cable.
Also, I found the wax based chain lube works best for cables. It dries like the graphite stuff, which is a good thing seeing as you don't want anything riding up into the speedo head, but it lasts longer for some reason.

You are right, it's done at the factory. You could feel it by grabbing the end and twisting.

If it's OEM, who knows how long ago that lube was applied!!

It's so easy and simple to do, why not just do it? Take the guess work out of it.

I have purchased several OEM Honda speedo cables for old scooters and I always lube them before I install....because the first time I installed a new cable, it bound up and broke 1000 miles into using it.

Bel-Ray chain lube would work great. Or graphite like states before.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You are right, it's done at the factory. You could feel it by grabbing the end and twisting.

Awesome!! thanx!
When it comes I will check it like you say. I figured that it comes pre-lubed... I just got confused because some of the aftermarket cheapo cables include grease for lubing. I would think/hope that a OEM replacement cable would be of better manufacturing and do all of the dirty work for you.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
If it's OEM, who knows how long ago that lube was applied!!

It's so easy and simple to do, why not just do it? Take the guess work out of it.

I have purchased several OEM Honda speedo cables for old scooters and I always lube them before I install....because the first time I installed a new cable, it bound up and broke 1000 miles into using it.

Bel-Ray chain lube would work great. Or graphite like states before.

True, but these are the updated one piece cables (originally my car came with a 2 piece cable), they came out in 2008... not that long ago.

I know it's easy to lube a cable, but I always have this nagging thought in my head; "leave well enough alone, if it comes pre-lubed, don't mess with it".

Originally Posted By: babyivan
I ordered a brand new ACDelco OEM Speedometer cable for my '87 Cutlass Ciera.

Do I need to lube it up before installing it?

I do. You don't have to but since it is easy why not?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Yank the cable and see what's up.
Normally, I'd leave it alone, but it may be an ancient part and the lube has dried out.
Sound advice, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back