Rotella T6 VS Chevron Delo 400 LE Full Synth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I was curious as to which of these two oils is "better"? I use better lightly here. I know Rotella is a great oil, and have heard Chevron products are excellent too. I found the Chevron at my local WM for 19.00 for the jug. I use 5w40 in my 95 Jeep, as it works really well. As far as the two oils go, which has a better add pack, cleaning ability, or is just the all around better oil? I appreciate any valuable input, and information!

Cheers

I think most people are going to tell you that they're about equal, but that the Delo 400 LE is "preferred" because (if I remember correctly) its additive package contains moly (or more moly) as a friction modifier.

Last edited:
I've always liked chevron's stuff, and rotella was long seen as "ordinary" in the add pack department. I've had great success with the rotella syn, and personally would use that because it is much more available. The chevron is scarce around here.

Originally Posted By: JRed
I think most people are going to tell you that they're about equal, but that the Delo 400 LE is "preferred" because (if I remember correctly) its additive package contains moly (or more moly) as a friction modifier.

I think your right.

They both are great products, but neither is "better".

Why? Because results matter more than inputs. Chemistry and base stocks are certainly good starting points, but until you define the overall maintenance and operational conditions, it's total speculation.

It's time for some tough love ...

To really know which is "better", you'd have to run 30 UOAs of each product, in the specific confines of a well defined series, using controlled inputs and manipulating the variables. Most BITOGers don't have the time/money/patience to go to such lengths, and even if they did, it would only be applicable to their specific situation and not yours.

You need to understand the differences between micro and macro analysis. It is improbable to look at a VOA and claim that one product is going to be "better" than another, especially when the two products are targeted at the same market with very similar constructs.

Please read my article on "normalcy". Then read my signature line.

These are both great products, but until you do a "better" job of defining how/when/why you are considering using them, you're not going to be able to fairly and accurately call one of them "better".

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Why? Because results matter more than inputs. Chemistry and base stocks are certainly good starting points, but until you define the overall maintenance and operational conditions, it's total speculation.

To really know which is "better", you'd have to run 30 UOAs of each product, in the specific confines of a well defined series, using controlled inputs and manipulating the variables. Most BITOGers don't have the time/money/patience to go to such lengths, and even if they did, it would only be applicable to their specific situation and not yours.

You need to understand the differences between micro and macro analysis. It is improbable to look at a VOA and claim that one product is going to be "better" than another, especially when the two products are targeted at the same market with very similar constructs.

These are both great products, but until you do a "better" job of defining how/when/why you are considering using them, you're not going to be able to fairly and accurately call one of them "better".

I appreciate the detailed response, and things to consider. There are some really valid points here. I am definitely not as knowledgeable as you are with this, so some of it is foreign. It is for my 2.5L Jeep, which seems to be doing well with the 40 weight. I was trying to clean up my motor real good, as the PO seems to have neglected it a bit. The price was also right, and I have been doing a lot of short trips, and was looking at the HDEO to handle the fuel dilution. Thanks again for the advise!

Are you sure you have to run 30 UOA samples to be statisticlly correct? I would think you could make some predictions/conclusions with far less samples.

Originally Posted By: Pwr Stroke

Are you sure you have to run 30 UOA samples to be statisticlly correct? I would think you could make some predictions/conclusions with far less samples.

Again, please read. Do not confuse micro and macro analysis.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Yes - I know what I'm talking about. I do statistical process quality control for a living.

I do to... Minitab is my right hand!

I'm just curious how you came up with 30 UOA sample requirement?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Since1941

I appreciate the detailed response, and things to consider. There are some really valid points here. I am definitely not as knowledgeable as you are with this, so some of it is foreign. It is for my 2.5L Jeep, which seems to be doing well with the 40 weight. I was trying to clean up my motor real good, as the PO seems to have neglected it a bit. The price was also right, and I have been doing a lot of short trips, and was looking at the HDEO to handle the fuel dilution. Thanks again for the advise!

I am using the Delo 400 LE full syn in my Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD. Does pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back