Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle vs TIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a 2001 toyota tacoma V6 auto with around 200k miles. Transmission shifts fine, but has never been serviced over it's life. I did a drain and refill using the Castrol transmax and everything seems fine. I've since purchased enough to do a cooling line removal flush or a few more drain and refill procedures. Any recommendations on how i should service this tranny?
TIA,
Randy

Will never understand why people with trouble free transmissions thanks to T-IV would feel the urge to change. I've never done anything but 25k $26 4qt T-IV drain and fills. Will make it to 300k without one single problem, never opening it up, replacing the screen filter, cleaning magnets, anything. Why change that? I wouldn't, you shouldn't. Don't mess with success, leave it alone.

IMO, Castrol IMV is a better fluid than T-IV.
I don't think you'll have any problem running it in your Toyo.
I'd be leery changing ATF for the first time at 200K but since you already did...keep going..

Thanks for the replies. Let me better clarify my question. It would be the change procedure, not the type of fluid. I purchased the truck from a neighbor who serviced the engine regularly but ignored the transmission. It never towed anything and shifts fine, but I do want to get the trans fluid in better condition. I don't drive the truck often. Less than 300 miles monthly. I found good feedback on the Castrol Transmax Transmission Fluid on a couple of toyota forums.
randy

If T-IV is availiable at a reasonable cost, use it. Mobil makes 3309/T-IV fluid and states it is made exclusivly for Aisin transmissions. Why change?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If T-IV is availiable at a reasonable cost, use it. Mobil makes 3309/T-IV fluid and states it is made exclusivly for Aisin transmissions. Why change?
See my posts (and other's) about MaxLife in T-IV applications. Simply CANNOT beat it. The improvement is night & day, immediately.

If T-IV is availiable at a reasonable cost, use it. Mobil makes 3309/T-IV fluid and states it is made exclusivly for Aisin transmissions.

I would never use or recommend an outdated-spec or low-performance fluid. If you want to use a Toyota spec, then stick with WS. Otherwise MaxLife is my go-to for excellent results, Amsoil ATL / Red Line D6 for top performance.

Originally Posted By: randytrish
I did a drain and refill using the Castrol transmax and everything seems fine. I've since purchased enough to do a cooling line removal flush or a few more drain and refill procedures. Any recommendations on how i should service this tranny?

The short version:
- drain tranny, pull pan, inspect
- pull cooling lines
- refill tranny
- start engine to pump fluid, stop when you've collected the 1/2 of your pan capacity
- refill & repeat until you've drained more than the system capacity
- top-up, test-drive, recheck

Extra details:
- clean the pan & magnet, add more magnets (strong ceramics, check the hardware store)
- drain from the return cooling line if possible, this way you flush out the rad-loop
- during each engine-start, shift into a different gear (do reverse one time, next do drive, next do neutral, etc)

Last edited:
Own the same year/model/engine with less miles. Now running MaxLife. I've just done simple d&f's, and never an issue with shifting. I think that AT is very reliable in this model. I think d&f's done gradully over period of time serve you well.

I suppose if you want to do a cooler line exchange you can, but imo, it's not necessary.

Though I'm using MaxLife, I've also good things about Castrol T IMV. If it was readily available at my local Wally as it is at some, price is right, I'd have no issue using it.

Hi,
randytrish - I can assure you that Castrol's Transmax fluids are amongst the very best ever developed. They were developed in Germany and I have used them for some decades

Use as specified

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
randytrish - I can assure you that Castrol's Transmax fluids are amongst the very best ever developed. They were developed in Germany and I have used them for some decades

Use as specified

The MAN had been spoken. Use it without worrying.

I agree. Castrol Transmax IMV is awesome for the price. My mitsubishi eclipse shifts much smoother with Castrol IMV than valvoline maxlife.

Originally Posted By: martinq
If T-IV is availiable at a reasonable cost, use it. Mobil makes 3309/T-IV fluid and states it is made exclusivly for Aisin transmissions.

I would never use or recommend an outdated-spec or low-performance fluid. If you want to use a Toyota spec, then stick with WS. Otherwise MaxLife is my go-to for excellent results, Amsoil ATL / Red Line D6 for top performance.

Read the spec, Toyota says that WS is not backward compatible with TIV, their viscosity is different.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Will never understand why people with trouble free transmissions thanks to T-IV would feel the urge to change. I've never done anything but 25k $26 4qt T-IV drain and fills. Will make it to 300k without one single problem, never opening it up, replacing the screen filter, cleaning magnets, anything. Why change that? I wouldn't, you shouldn't. Don't mess with success, leave it alone.

This!

Last edited:
I have used Castrol IMV(not the new TRANSMAX)but, I think they're the same. Used them in 3 different Asian Tranny's

Lexus
Mazda
Nissan

And all are fine. There may[MAY] be slight differences in the shift feel but, nothing major as any ATF change could change the tranny feel slightly

Originally Posted By: martinq
If you want to use a Toyota spec, then stick with WS.

I believe WS is not backwards compatible to T-IV.

Others here have stated T-IV/JWS3309 is a competent fluid, and AW trans living on this stuff when changed at an appropriate interval have no trouble living long, problem free lives. While T-IV may not be anything spectacular looking at its specs, it is certainly proving itself in use.

There are definitely better spec fluids out there. Whether or not suitable, have been mostly determined by the fluid manufacturer's "suitable for" labels, and from end user testimony. Certainly, there is validity to both of these, but they do not carry the same weight as an actual OE certification.

Not all applications will prove the OE requirements are the best, an example like Honda's Z1 fluid. You definitely want to find something better in an application like that.

But for the majority of transmissions, Toyota or anyone else for that matter, the OE recommendation often serves the transmission just fine.

Is it worthwhile for you to gamble on something that isn't actually an OE certification? Before you make your own decision, this is something you should consider. Different people will reach different conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back