Economical to replace gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Raleigh from 1999 made in UK but the "rapid-fire" gear levers no longer work properly and the gear derailleurs are out etc.
Is it econmoical to give the bike an overhaul or is it better just getting rid of it and buying a Chinese bike?

Don't buy a Chinese bike,The bikes THEY use are FAR different than whats sent for sale overseas
lol.gif

Seriously ,just order new derailleurs and shifters. A good tune up may be all that's needed unless the frame is bent or cracked.

Coming form there, I had Raleigh bikes as a kid, those things are like tanks on 2 wheels! hahaha

Keep it, fix it up, it'll last a loooong time!

Realize that we are now conditioned to "throw it away and replace"... that's just not sustainable!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The nice thing about the Raleighs and most other "real" bikes is that upgrades and changes are always availab.e

+1. It is great if you can use the frame as basis and upgrade to better parts and components to allow an even better operation of the bike, lighter, etc.

They hold up MUCH better than the big box retailer bikes.

Also, much like the cars we drive every day - half of the fun is playing with them!

I have a low end Ralgieh from 2004. I used it a lot since I got it, with the exception of the past two years. Besides holding up great, it's easy to find parts for when things do break.

For example, I wore out the front shock , but also wanted to have a more upright seating position. If I had some $89 walmart bicycle, I would have had to toss it in a dumpster. Instead, I was able to get a larger front fork (with shock) ... totally worth it!

I can't remember if mine is a 21 or 24 speed, but it's geared pretty low. Anything more than 25 and I seem like I'm pedaling my legs off.

New Topic time!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
24 speed, but it's geared pretty low. Anything more than 25 and I seem like I'm pedaling my legs off.

There's no such thing as a 25-speed bike.

Also, having more gears and having lower or higher gearing are separate and unrelated.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Does the existing derauiler have a friction shifting mode?

You can buy a new shifter and /or new dearuiler.

Just researched what friction shift is, it could have. I will investigate this further.

I wish all bikes still had simple levers and friction shift, they had much more longevity than the index shifters of today. But then bike manufacturers wouldn't be selling as many bikes...

Originally Posted By: Euler
I have a Raleigh from 1999 made in UK but the "rapid-fire" gear levers no longer work properly and the gear derailleurs are out etc.
Is it econmoical to give the bike an overhaul or is it better just getting rid of it and buying a Chinese bike?

What kind of shifting does it use. I have a specialized rock hopper. 9 speed rear with thumb shifting. They are finicky and half a turn here and there on the adjustment screws can make a world of difference. I'm not familiar with grip shift adjusting.
Honestly, what kind of shape is the bike in? A person can buy a decent bike for just day to day riding for a few hundred bucks. If the bike you have now requires more work than an hour or 2 with a real tech in a real bike shop I would just ditch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back