Microgard (Fram) vs New Microgard (Champ) filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
as shown in the open end of the stp/microgard pic one is stamped aa1, the other aa2, ive always wondered if that meant anything, anyone know?

My guess is that those numbers identify the stamping press/die that made those parts. Multiple cavity plastic molds have that. If a part comes out wrong, they know right away with section of the die or mold to replace. The numbers could also identify the size.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I care about my rides too much try to to "save" a single dollar by using a plastic caged junk filter. I will not use an ecore, period.

X2 here here!

Originally Posted By: trx250x92
Is the new style Microgard 7317 e-core?

You're just in luck. Our Pathfinder uses the MGL7317 and it has a metal center tube. Nice and heavy too. The shorter 6607 also have a metal center tube.

IMG_0804.jpg

I got a bunch of Microgard 7317s for my GF's CR-V during the $10 O'Reilly deal and they came in white boxes which I believe is the newer, Champ-made ones. They are NOT E-Core but rather the Champs with a steel center cage.

EDIT: changed a word for clarification

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Ecore filters could be easily fixed by:
a) making the cage not so wide open, and/or
b) making sure the pleats are packed tight enough to prevent any pleats from folding over against the open cage.

The funny thing about all this is that Champ HAD a good filter before they went to the E-Core. I have an old ST2951 on my desk and it lists the features of Special Synthetic Fiber-enhanced filter media, plated steel center tube, heavy gauge steel baseplate, and the ST2951 filter that I'm looking at has a coiled steel spring instead of a leaf spring.
It also lists the single pass efficiency of 98% where the Fram is 96% and the average is 86%.
SuperTech multi pass is 99%, Fram is 94%, and the average is 83%.
(Yea, I know those numbers can be fudged)
This filter used to be $1.49, then $1.79, and I believe it was slightly over $2 before they went to the E-Core.
As it is built now, I hope some E-Core engineer or pencil-pusher got canned over the E-Core design.

For some reason that I cannot remember, the oil filter on my dads old car was changed part way into the OCI using a Super Tech e-core filter. As time went on, my dad and I both noticed that the oil was actually lightening in color. Pretty crazy.... I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it myself.

It appears from this thread that Rank has decided to supply the MG with the old Wally Super Tech(STP) design. Works here as a 'classic' design with a separate adbv and bypass, which the ST's had in the 3" dia. will be an ecore. The latter not favorite around this board, just sayin.

I do like the superior design of the ST/STP tapping plate as opposed to the left MG/orange can design, easier to install imo.

This is similar to what Rank has done with the Wally TLE filters which are now the old ST design filters but with texture finish on the can.

It seems Rank is trying to move some production of the lower end filter apps to the Champ (ST/STP) design away from the Fram orange can design.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

It seems Rank is trying to move some production of the lower end filter apps to the Champ (ST/STP) design away from the Fram orange can design.

Good observation, if so I can only assume the e-cores cost even less to produce.

Update: Mircogard changed their box picture with an exploded view of a Champion oil filter instead of a Honeywell/Fram. Sadly, they are showing off the E-core. But the MGL7317 (popular oversize for the MGL6607 on Nissan and Subaru) still have a steel center core. They also went with a bigger font on the sticker just in case you didn't know it was a Mircogard.
laugh.gif

Original on the the left, New box on the right:
IMG_1806_zps83168384.jpg

If it was in doubt it's clear now that the former Wally Super Tech oil filter line is now MicroGard, also the Wally TLE filter with added brown texture. Yes, the 7317 is one of the few non ecore applications.

So a Super Tech oil filter by any other name is now MicroGard. And it all stays under the Rank banner.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
If it was in doubt it's clear now that the former Wally Super Tech oil filter line is now MicroGard.....
So a Super Tech oil filter by any other name is now MicroGard. And it all stays under the Rank banner.

I'm sure a lot of the uninformed public used to avoid them because they knew they were relabeled Frams, but are now using them because they are not.

And a filter that sold for ~$2.84 every day at Wally, now costs ~$4.50 at O'R.

Unless it's an MG included in an oil/filter promo and the filter is a non ecore like the 7317 or S2808, then no thanks.

As I rarely see anything worth getting too excited about at O'R, not much chance of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back