Auto RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons '95 Accord several years ago popped the radiator and subsequently overheated briefly.It has had an oil-burning issue, generally 2-3 quarts per a 5,000mi. OCI. At 250,000mi. I changed the oil along with a dose of Auto RX.

After roughly 1,200mi. he calls me and asked what happened to his car, all of the sudden it has much improved power, noticeable to him. Unfortunately I wasn't able to compression test at the time of the oil change for proof of increased compression, but for him to notice speaks for itself as he isn't mechanically inclined.

Today I ordered more Auto RX for a couple of older engines to see if more ring-pack cleaning can be done. After the order I was informed that they have a new product available, Auto RX Plus, its supposed to do everything that the previous formula does better. At this point I have everything to gain after the preliminary Honda results.

On a side note, the Honda was bought used by me in '07 with roughly 150,000mi., and OC's have been done at 5,000mi. intervals. I haven't had the valve cover off, but looking into the fill hole what can be seen of the valvetrain looks clean, so my reason for trying the Auto RX wasn't sludge, but cleaning the ring-packs.

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Im glad you had success.

But you have unleashed the fury of BITOG by posting about this product.

haha. I have used the product with good results. I have some going into a Tundra this weekend too.

Apparently not everyone has good results; I understand that.

its too soon to see if the oil usage is going to be helped, but as I said I am encouraged by him noticing an increase in power.

I've read that it may also help with gasket leaks too. Many here don't like the product,and it costs too much for me to try it but I'm glad it has helped your sons car.
It reinforces my position that additives do have a place in the world of engines and not every issue requires a tear down to fix.
Keep the thread updated with your results if you can please

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've read that it may also help with gasket leaks too. Many here don't like the product,and it costs too much for me to try it but I'm glad it has helped your sons car.
It reinforces my position that additives do have a place in the world of engines and not every issue requires a tear down to fix.

All Auto-Rx threads are doomed to be locked.

I'm glad it seems to have worked for you.
I have never said Auto Rx does not work, many people that I believe are creditable, have also had good results.

It did not work for me, or anyone that I group purchased with. and I do wonder if another product that costs less would have done the same job for you.
But who knows?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Clevy

All Auto-Rx threads are doomed to be locked.

I dunno about that. This one seems alright so far. However most of the auto RX haters are mature enough not to always jump in a thread just to be negative.

Its awful fishy! The company is trying everything they can to push this stuff again on BITOG since they have this new and improved version.

IMO as someone who spent a lot of money on this product with very poor results every single new review of this stuff should be viewed with extreme skepticism.
I highly encourage readers of these post to look up all the old post about this product to get a balanced view point.

There are many other product to clean "ring packs" (an ARX term) for 1/3 of the price and do it quicker and just or more effectively.
Any time i see "ring packs" the ARX radar is alerted.

Nothing in this post to cause a lock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
In my mind, the cost is not an issue if it works. A bottle costs about 20 minutes of a mechanics time.

Its like cigarette lighters and watches. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a accurate watch and a bic lighter lights cigarettes just fine.
Why spend more when you don't need to.

I can free stuck rings just as safely in as little as 1k (fact) for less than $7 why would i want to spend north of $25 to do the same thing in 3K plus?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its awful fishy! The company is trying everything they can to push this stuff again on BITOG since they have this new and improved version.

IMO as someone who spent a lot of money on this product with very poor results every single new review of this stuff should be viewed with extreme skepticism.
I highly encourage readers of these post to look up all the old post about this product to get a balanced view point.

I agree. Any product that claims 10-20% fuel economy increases (Fleet Taxi Test) should not be taken serious.

It also surprises me how many seemingly intelligent, seasoned members are taken in by this. Besides, doesn't Auto-Rx and MMO have the same ingredients just different animals?? Try MMO; realize it doesn't work; donate the $30 you saved to BITOG; thank me later.

I understand everything you said, however I'm confused here.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Try MMO; realize it doesn't work; donate the $30 you saved to BITOG; thank me later.

For the record A-Rx and MMO are not even closely related chemically, unless the newer version of A-Rx was drastically changed.

I read the press release for this new Auto-Rx Plus and at the bottom of the page it says, AUTO-RX PLUS PROMISES EVEN MORE.

I wonder if this new product will have a Money Back Guarantee, wonder why they are coming out with a new and improved product when the auto-rx site sure makes it sound like they already have a great product.

How is this new product better than the original auto-rx?

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Im glad you had success.

But you have unleashed the fury of BITOG by posting about this product.

The fury of the Frank Miller haters more like. Any thread that says something positive about the product is like chum to a shark.

Originally Posted By: V8man
I read the press release for this new Auto-Rx Plus and at the bottom of the page it says, AUTO-RX PLUS PROMISES EVEN MORE.

I wonder if this new product will have a Money Back Guarantee, wonder why they are coming out with a new and improved product when the auto-rx site sure makes it sound like they already have a great product.

How is this new product better than the original auto-rx?

Hmmmm....... Sounds so familiar......

I can free stuck rings just as safely in as little as 1k (fact) for less than $7 why would i want to spend north of $25 to do the same thing in 3K plus?

This sounds just like Fram oil filters. They're really not that bad, but there are alternatives that are much cheaper that may even be better!

It is the nature of their usage that dooms a great deal of these additives to failure. Some of the vehicles would simply be hopeless causes that no additive could fix. But where ARX fell flat on their face was their CUSTOMER SERVICE.

For me they simply did not honor their own guarantee.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

This sounds just like Fram oil filters. They're really not that bad, but there are alternatives that are much cheaper that may even be better!

It is the nature of their usage that dooms a great deal of these additives to failure. Some of the vehicles would simply be hopeless causes that no additive could fix. But where ARX fell flat on their face was their CUSTOMER SERVICE.

For me they simply did not honor their own guarantee.

The last sentence is what I see the most of,on this board anyways. I value dnewtons input and when he used it in an engine and it helped the compression I believe him. I'm going to assume whatever esters it contains dissolve the apparent coking that accumulates on the rings. I think those same esters are what helps soften and expand the gaskets.
Other than what I've posted the claims auto RX makes are bigger than what the product produces.
And the cost is also prohibitive. But if it does what it claims its money well spent because it can potentially save money by extending run times between services.
I dunno. The product isn't stellar,management is less than customer oriented which is why they won't get any money out of me.
I hope it works for those who buy it.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

. Besides, doesn't Auto-Rx and MMO have the same ingredients just different animals??

Ummm, no.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
Well, I just read this long thread and realized the following: "that was an hour of my life that I won't get back".

My 2 cents will try to stick with verifiable information that I don't think is debatable:

1)MMO contains up to 1% 1,2-dichlorobenzene which is a very good solvent for hard carbon deposits, is a solvent of choice for soot (fullerenes), has a higher boiling point than closely related chemicals found in brake/carb cleaners, and yet is liquid at ambient temps unlike para-dichlorobenzene (moth balls, crystal type). Dichlorobenzenes decompose into Hydrochloric acid which should be able to reduce TBN under certain conditions. On one hand, there isn't really much of the active ingredient in the the product. On the other hand, there are risks associated with using much more than is in the formulation.

2)LC is based on cyclohexanone which is a good acid scavenger in oil. Both cyclohexanone and its reaction product with nitric acid have lubricity properties. Under certain conditions, LC may be able to extend the useful life of an oil.

3)AutoRX is based on three components: a)2-ethylhexyl ester of lanolin fatty acids, b)heptanoic acid ester of cyclohexane dimethanol, and c)pentaerythritol tetraoleate. These ingredients and/or similar esters of natural fatty acids are used in other lubricants and are highly attracted to metal surfaces. They appear to "clean" by displacing attachments between metal surfaces and carbon compounds that are not soluble in oil. They are not "solvents" in the sense typically used here. They have excellent lubricity properties and are sometimes used in greases.

Molakule: Neutra, MMO, and ARX are three entirely different chemistries. Neutra and MMO are what many like to call "aromatic hydrocarbon" solvents (AHS). The only correlation between Neutra and MMO is that they are AHS, old school chemistries, and can be used both in engine oil and fuel systems.

ARX is a tri-ester formulation for cleaning engines, hydraulics, trannies, and gear boxes using more modern chemistries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back