ROTELLA T6 & ROTELLA T5 honda civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I don't know If rotella t6 or t5 would be choice
For my Honda civic with 280k miles. I come to conclusion that
Diesel motor oils can hold higher temperatures than other oils
I been using mostly high mileage motor oils or semi- synthetic
Oils. I wanna try now diesel oils and see results. Besides screwing up catalyist
Nothing else can go wrong I guess using diesel oils in gas passenger vehicle
Any advices,opinions?

I used t6 in a tiny old Corolla engine with high miles and a horrible ticking problem. Became beautiful quiet and smooth after a few days. Gas mileage changes were not noticeable. So I would go for the T6.

I have a friend in the ATL That's been using Rotella 15w40 In his 94 or 96 Corolla Four years now not a single problem And his oil consumption dropped significantly to 1/4 of a quart Every 1500 miles Hope this helps you

Most modern engine oils are approved for both petrol and diesel engines. It tends to say something obvious on the can if it's a diesel only oil. EG Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel, or there is a picture of a big truck in some cases!
It's not a good idea to put diesel only oils in a petrol car, they have higher levels of detergents that could start or make an existing oil leak worse in a petrol engine and the anti foam additive might be different. Not an immediate problem, but a possible long term one.

I use T6 and the previous generation 5w40 Rotella in my 1986 Porsche 911 and 1991 VW Vanagon year round without any issues. The Cat came off the 911 a couple of years ago as the 911 became exempt from emissions testing. The Cat was operating just fine even after running HDEO Rotella all its life. The Vanagon still has its Cat and passes emissions just fine.

If you want a synthetic HDEO then Rotella 5w40 would be fine in a high mileage Civic.

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback that specs 5w30. In that engine I use Pennzoil Ultra, which works just fine too.

I would recommend the Rotella. If you want a lighter weight xw30 oil, use Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra.

With 166k on my Accord, I'm moving up to a 5w30 grade next. MaxLife Full Synthetic.

t6 is a great choice for your car.

There's a misconception about how sharp the line between "diesel" and "Gasoline" engine oils are. You can meet both, especially in a 40-weight where the gasoline spec allows more zinc and phosphorous than it does for a 20 or 30 weight.

Rotella T6 carries gasoline ratings as well as diesel- its at least SM if not SN, and ther3fore is RATED FOR gasoline engines too. Now it may not meet some more specific manufacturer specs, or the same ACEA specs, but that's a bit more subtle and you probably wouldn't care about those for a 300k mile honda.

Originally Posted By: skyship
At 280K miles and living in LA, a major brand 10/40 HM would make more sense than an HDEO.

Why?

Use the T6 with confidence and enjoy MANY more miles! A lot of folks have run HDEO for the life of their engines and not a single problem. I'm even thinking of trying it in our Corolla down the road, although I'll add 1/2qt of 5w20 to thin it slightly.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
At 280K miles and living in LA, a major brand 10/40 HM would make more sense than an HDEO.

Why?

The OP has been using a variety of different oils and is in a large city where stop start or too much idle time might well be a factor in forming some sludge or varnish. It would be good to know about the oil consumption and leaks situation, but at 280K miles it is time to think about using a major brand HM oil to clean the engine and reduce oil consumption. They also have good levels of anti wear additives and are in effect an HDEO plus seal conditioners and stop leak additives combined in a well balanced add pack designed for higher mileage cars.
If you select an HM oil with the correct API or ACEA specs it won't cause the Cat any problems and the OP's ideas about oil temps are not important in a Honda Civic unless you are using it for heavy towing, racing or something odd.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Why?

The OP has been using a variety of different oils and is in a large city where stop start or too much idle time might well be a factor in forming some sludge or varnish. It would be good to know about the oil consumption and leaks situation, but at 280K miles it is time to think about using a major brand HM oil to clean the engine and reduce oil consumption. They also have good levels of anti wear additives and are in effect an HDEO plus seal conditioners and stop leak additives combined in a well balanced add pack designed for higher mileage cars.
If you select an HM oil with the correct API or ACEA specs it won't cause the Cat any problems and the OP's ideas about oil temps are not important in a Honda Civic unless you are using it for heavy towing, racing or something odd.

Everything you're saying, with the exception of leakage, to me recommends HDEO above HM oil. Don't get me wrong, I think its pretty much a wash either way and some HM oils are superb. However, there are a lot of mediocre HM oils, and the emphasis is more on leak-stopping than detergency. Unless this is a leaker, I'd go for HDEO.

IF the HDEO is SM gasoline engine rated (Rotella T6 IS) its not going to harm catalysts or sensors. At all. At virtually any level of consumption short of 'check the gas and top off the oil.'

I do agree high temps aren't an issue for a high-mileage Honda.

There are good and bad HDEO or HM oils, but if you stick to the major engine oil companies like Castrol, Mobil and Shell their HM oils are all very good products.

How would you know they are good products? Do you use them? Any actual experience or is this just more of your nonexistent expertise?
Op. the t-6 has a slightly weaker add pack than the conventional rotella and the t-5 because the t-6 was formulated with less zddp because of the diesel emission equipment. If your vehicle consumes oil then the t-6 would be better because of your catalytic converter however if it doesn't burn oil then you may want to use the t-5 or the conventional.
The conventional can be found in the 10w-30 flavor or the 15w-40. The t-5 can be found in grades ranging from 0w-30 up to various different 40 grades.
If you are consuming oil I suggest trying a product called motor oil saver made by liqui-moly. I have had great success with it in various engines with consumption issues. It has never not worked for me,unless of course you've got the money to fix the issue properly and the vehicle is worth the cost of fixing.
Ignore sunkship,everyone else does.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Use the T6 with confidence and enjoy MANY more miles! A lot of folks have run HDEO for the life of their engines and not a single problem. I'm even thinking of trying it in our Corolla down the road, although I'll add 1/2qt of 5w20 to thin it slightly.

That 1ZZ-FE will love T6, I'm running it in my 2000 Corolla, diluted with 1qt of M1 AFE 0w20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back