too-big bike still ride-able?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend was selling his bike for an attractive price, and on impulse, I bought it.

It is a 59cm frame "volpe."
I am 5'6" with a 31" inseam and by rights should be in like a 54cm bike.

With the seat moved forward and lowered all the way, it is not uncomfortable. It doesn't seem too long, and, I can get both feet comfortably on the ground (again, with the seat ALL the way at the bottom).

Is this, then, a fine fit and I should feel free to go ahead and ride it?

Or will I look silly in this oversize bike, and should resell it/ trade it for another....

Originally Posted By: berninicaco3
With the seat moved forward and lowered all the way, it is not uncomfortable. It doesn't seem too long, and, I can get both feet comfortably on the ground (again, with the seat ALL the way at the bottom)

You shouldn't be able to put your feet on the ground while on the seat IMO. Adjust the seat so your knee is almost at full extension while at the bottom of the pedal stroke and try to adjust it forward-aft so your knee is directly above the pedal spindle at the forward extension of the pedaling stroke... or thereabouts.

Sheldon Brown (RIP) has some great information on his site about bicycle fit - check http://sheldonbrown.com/kops.html and be prepared for plenty of reading.

But all the numbers and measurements aside, if you can ride it comfortably then it is the right size/bike for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back