Good, strong bike lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks back I got my bike stolen (I'll give you the good news now... it was recovered by the Police). That aside, my bike was kept in our allotted parking space for our apartment unit. Many people do this, but few people actually lock their bike at all. I do, yet mine was still stolen; evidently there was been a bike-stealing ring around here lately. Anyhow, the locking system I was using was a thick steel cable with loops on each end, and a Master lock connecting them together. The cable was cut by bolt cutters... I know they make really strong cables/other devices, but it is only as strong as the lock. Any ideas for what I should do now?

I've always used a kryptonite u lock when I've needed to lock bikes up.

I'll bet the best thing is more independent locks.

In NYC I see a lot of really heavy chains.

I use kryptonite U-lock as my main protection , I have two more just goin around it for extra safety.

Kryptonite as good repotation .

i have a krypto mini but the pipe needs to be close to the frame as it's a mini. get the kryp w/ the key looking lock on the bottom, not the tubular lock that can be picked with a broken bic pen

Cable lock = might as well not lock it. I've been using an Onguard Bulldog mini and a Kryptonite Evolution mini for eight years in the city. I prefer the Onguard, it's cheaper and slightly bigger (but still fits in my pants when riding) which is much more useful for fitting on various sizes of things to lock to. I only have the Krypto Evo mini because I had to buy it at a nearby LBS because I left the Bulldog mini at home by accident.

Just get any U-lock. Except for the Kryptonite Keeper. Two people I know had bikes stolen on that lock, it even looks cheap.

If I were going to lock my bike up in such a place, I would use more than one lock. Even if it's just a U lock AND a cable lock, that's still way better than either one by itself.

Last edited:
how often are front wheels stolen/ when using a u lock, do you make a habit of removing the front wheel and locking it, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back