Electric Bicycles - Need reccomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to get a decent electric bicycle for less than $1,000

I am looking for something comfortable commuting with pedal assist ability and regenerative breaking. Also as close to 750 Watt motor as I can get.

Lights, rack and speedo are pluses.

I can't find anything under $2300 and it is frustrating.

I really liked the Gepida Reptila 1100 to give you an idea of what I am looking for. www.gepida.hu

I'd really like to pick up the http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technologie...lectric+bicycle for the price but it seems like quality is an issue an it comes with lead acid batteries and I really would prefer lithium polymer or nickel metal hydride.

Last edited:
You won't get anything with regen braking for that dollar figure.

Why the 750 watt limit?

Our kits are near to market 600W and 1200W (24V and 48V), but you must supply your own bike and batteries.

LiFePO batteries alone are in the $500-$800 range depending on Voltage and Ah.

I was under the impression that there was a federal law limiting electric bicycles to 750W. If we throw out the regen breaking, what options become available?

I am not opposed to nonelectric but as I work in an office and want to commute 5 miles 1 way on the bike I was hoping to arrive not all sweaty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
I was under the impression that there was a federal law limiting electric bicycles to 750W. If we throw out the regen breaking, what options become available?

On road limit is 750W.

Sick Bike Parts has a kit that allows you to use the gears on your existing bike with an electric motor. They aren't listing them on the site yet, but it comes with pretty much everything you need, less the battery.

Yes you can get a Ebike for that however in car terms your asking for a new hybrid with all the bells for under 20k. You could do a kit however if you really want a great bike I would be happy to help you find one. I do it everyday and we ship bike anywhere. Talk to you soon.

I'm not limited to that or nothing I just wondered if it could be done, since it can't, what are my options? I need something comfortable, minimal maint. and long lasting. Preferably not too heavy that it's almost impossible to pedal without battery power also. I would like a 15 mile to 20 mile range. If it has head and tail lights built in that's a plus also.

Last edited:
Is the 500 dollar currie ezip any good? I've been waiting to hear from you PedalPower but nothing for nearly 2 weeks.

I tested a Currie many years ago and it was cruising unassisted at about 18 mph. Not bad for the money.

I was told by someone else they are great quality, sounds like that's the one for my budget. The reason they are cheaper is they are heavy steel framed bicycles and uses lead acid batteries also heavy and the motor is mounted instead of hub based, so the whole thing weighs near 100 lbs, prob won't be pedaling far without battery power. I think you can upgrade the batteries to lithium but they cost almost as much as the bike at $350 apiece. The batteries weight 15 pounds for the lead acid, the lithiums are about 7 lbs I think according to reviews I've been scanning, I think I may pick up 2 of these for the wife and I in about a year.

I've since done some reading that the currie line isn't a very good choice and I'm inclined to believe what I've read. I'm actually looking at the Pedego City Commuter now which I've seen the 48 volt model for as little as 2k on ebay. I have a year of saving before I can purchase it, maybe 2, please give me some feedback in the meantime.

Anyone who wants to wrench on bikes, wants a DIY set-up, 24V or 36V or 48V, willing to pay just above cost for a system that allows you to use your bike's existing gear and is willing to provide feedback, shoot me a PM or email.

These kits include throttle, controller, motor, bottom bracket parts with front freewheel and perhaps other parts you may need for you custom application. You supply the battery of your choice.

Pablo, you should consider adding an automatic shifting derailer as an option to your shift kit!!
smile.gif

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.p...9677#post359677

Originally Posted By: Pablo
People have successfully used the Nuvinci hub with our kits.

I know.
smile.gif

I just so happened to have one of the Nuvinci hubs that were actually approved for engine applications. I doubt the newer hubs are approved for electric motors, either, considering they actually have more torque than gas engines.

Haven't figured out what I'm gonna do with my hub... but when I do, I'll more than likely be using your shift kit in order to get some freewheel action going on. Will need to find a nice steel frame first, tho.

They are a bit of an odd company. They actually sponsored on a motored bike site, then came out and said they won't approve for any powered application. Also, Taiwan vendors get better pricing and lower MOQ than USA vendors - this may have changed from a couple years back, but irritated me at the time.

It's not that electric motors have more torque, it's just that they have a flat torque curve, and well yes more torque at zero RPM.

I was hoping to find someway to make it work but it looks like an Ebike just isn't in my budget at this time.

Not in your budget??

I'll share with you perhaps my favorite eBike build of all time, mostly because of its simplicity and cleanliness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbOD09doRI

I am more than likely going to mimic this setup once I get a hold more on controllers and such.... and depending on where I want to go with it after actually experiencing it for myself, I could add a shift kit to it, but I like to keep things as cheap as possible.

An eBike build has like 4 components... motor (the motor this guy uses is pretty small, probly $60 or so), controller (not sure about this stuff yet, but probly $50), throttle (just a potentiometer, haven't looked.. but a "thumb lever" throttle would be best if possible... can't be more than $50), and batteries (might as well spend all your money on the best lithium polymer batteries money can buy. Oh yea, and a charger... I guess you'd have to pay around $30 for it and a few extra bucks for an adapter & some wiring to somehow connect the charger to the batteries.

So we're talking $200 all day long, and you add the batteries. There's no way in hail that lithium polymer batteries cost more than $800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back