10w-30 HM or 10w-40 HM for high mileage vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I still can't choose between those two oil weights. To stay with
10w-30 Or to move to 10w-40 at 280k. I been using both and noticed slight difference
Using 10w-40 in increase of gas mileage, but better protection than 10w-30. Any comments,advices?

Originally Posted By: max45
Hi. I still can't choose between those two oil weights. To stay with
10w-30 Or to move to 10w-40 at 280k. I been using both and noticed slight difference
Using 10w-40 in increase of gas mileage, but better protection than 10w-30. Any comments,advices?

How do you know the 10w40 is offering better protection that the 10w30? Do you have any proof besides a gut feeling or what a "mechanic" said?

I'd prefer the 30 weight for better flow but if you need heavier for leaks or consumption then yeah move up to 40 weight. 40 weight does not necessarily mean more protection.

I'm kind of in the same boat with my Accord, still trying to find an oil that it won't drink too much of.

Did you say you're getting better gas milage with the 10W40? If so,the thicker oil is probably giving you better compression,hence giving you better mileage. If that's the case,I'd stick with the 10W40.

280K is a fairly good number of miles and with an engine that is starting to age I would switch to a major brand HM 10/40, as it should help reduce oil consumption slightly and thicker oil is better for the rings and bearings when they are well worn.
I don't think anyone does a 5/40 HM yet, but that would be better in winter if one is made by a major brand, although it's not exactly cold in LA in winter.

Last edited:
I would use 10w30 max unless its using or leaking like everyone said.I would not hesitate to use 5w30 even its the same after it warms up and all the OEM's are going to lighter oils GM is recommending 0w20 now.My vehicles spec for 10w30 but I run 5w30 seeing as how GM said to use that in the newer years even though the engine specs are the same.That heavy oil is a thing of the past.

Is there a reason you need HM oil? Leaking or burning oil?

An HM oil can have a better add pack and some are a syn blend but it seems that many oils have some syn to meet the SN standards.

An engine with high mileage in and of itself doesnt mean you need an HM oil,many cars have gone 2-3 hundred thousand miles on conventional oil.

If you have been using regular oil up until now and you have'nt had any problems,why change what you are doing?

If you are using a little,a step up in viscosity may be all you would need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back