Loaded for years .22 LR magazines- bent bullets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently unloaded a pair of Ruger 10/22 factory rotary magazines that had been left loaded for years. One filled with the Federal hyper-vel of some years ago, probably the Spitfire. I remember they did good duty on an armadillo or two. The Federals seemed Ok, though the wax coating on a few is going white, & a couple looked a hair off. I'm sure I topped up the Fed mag at least once, but that would have been at least 4 yrs ago.

The other mag was loaded with some circa mid-late 1980's Winchester Super X copper plated 40 gr solids, left full & undisturbed for about 9 yrs- and all 10 rounds came out bent!

Note that I wrote bent bullets. That's because the little rimfire cartridge cases all seem to be in A-OK shape, as well as the joint between case & bullet. On these Win SX rounds, about 1 mm in front of the case mouth, there is a thin, *deep* groove around the bullet. All are bent at this groove, with bends ranging from slight to severe. Hmm... My curiosity was piqued, & since I have a good amount of this ammo I looked at some from 2 other boxes, selected at random. Nope, all OK there. (The Win ammo was bought at 2 different stores, probably within a few days, & all had the same lot #'s.)

I had also unloaded an aftermarket triple-capacity mag(less spring tension than the factory rotarys), it was filled with CCI Mini-Mag HP's. Went back & checked the CCI's- all look pretty good.

Strong springs, left loaded a long time, on ammo with a quirk. Other .22lr has a groove in the same place, but all I've looked at so far isn't nearly as deep as these old Super X's. I've now bent the worst ones back to straighter than they were- and plan to use these in a revolver!
grin2.gif

Your mileage may vary, but: If you have a .22 LR magazine that's been loaded for a long time, you might want to check for this.

I was expecting to be reading about Remington Thunderbolt ammo or some junk ammo...

I have been shooting Winchester Super-X since I was a 4 year old boy, that ammo is great stuff.

Even Winchester Wildcat .22 I used to buy for $11 a brick is excellent.

I never leave magazines loaded for long periods of time, my only fear was of the spring loosing tension and causing it to become jam-prone.

But it distorting ammo over time? Never thought that would happen...

Nope, the bullets were bent at that deeply cut groove just ahead of the case mouth. There's no sign of any wax in that groove, just a thin circle of air, that's why it was so easy to see- once I really looked! Of all 10 cartridges, only one showed any sign of the bullet being canted at the case, & that just a fracion of a frog's hair- when I applied pressure, it practically snapped back into place. Yet that round still showed that it was bent at the deep groove.

I have the remains of(IIRC) 3 bricks of this stuff- 1 brick, 5 boxes, & a partial of 20 after unloading the 10/22 mag. I've since looked at a couple of rounds each from several more boxes- none of those have been bent, and all have the extra-deep groove with no wax in it.

Oh well, not gonna worry about it, that's what revolvers are for.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back