Oil Pressure Switch Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few fyi questions from me. My oil pressure switch on my '05 Caravan with 2.4L engine seems to be leaking. No dash lights have come on.

- How,where, or why do these things leak? They appear to be a sealed unit.

- Aftermarket parts are easily available for about $13, either BWD or Echlin (NAPA). I imagine OEM is about $20. Is this a type of part where OEM is best?

- How much oil (mess) should I expect to come out upon removal?

- It looks like a deep well socket will work, but they talk about special wrenches for this?

AS ALWAYS, THANKS!
1697-07038705-1023484.jpg

Where the plastic is sealed to the metal is where it leaks. Get socket, or wrench that fits and unscrew it. Wipe any excess oil off engine.
Some senders come with thread sealer already on them. I would put some teflon thread sealer all around anyway. Keep thread sealer off the first 2 threads. Tighten gently until pretty snug.
Make sure wire clips on tightly. Start engine checking for leaks.
No leaks? Good to go. Leak? Give it 1/2 turn more. Leak? Take out, clean threads re-do.

Last edited:
I just changed my oil pressure switch/sending unit yesterday on my z. Mine didnt leak but I had a hard time finding the right deep socket size. So I ended up wrapping the switch with a little duct tape to make it snug inside the socket. They do have special sockets because the size needed is kind of random.

If its just an on/off oil gauge then aftermarket is fine. Mine is an actual oil gauge and the aftermarket one I bought has a 10 psi difference. I guess its not the oem voltage/resistance
smirk.gif

1st make sure you have the right part and use the right pound/inch foot torque.

Only a little oil will drain if you dont drain the oil before but since your there already there, might as well change it too.

If mine still leaked I wouldnt mind using a little plumbers tape. But thats just me.

I believe they have a diaphragm in them (at least they use to). On simple on-off senders, the diaphragm has oil pressure on one side and a switch on the other. The oil pressure flexes the diaphragm and activates the switch, indicating oil pressure is OK. The diaphragm can develop a leak.

+1 on what Donald said.

It shouldn't make much of a mess when removed, just be ready to install the new one and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I had one of those leak on my '70 chrysler when I bought it. I replaced it and life's been good otherwise with that car.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back