Sears (craftsman) going down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
interesting reading. i've been following sears holding and its stock has made very wild swings the last 2 years. Probably lots of market manipulation.

http://www.futuresmag.com/2013/01/28/trading-the-sears-end-game?t=financials

What i've learned from the past is usually products tend to suffer during times like this. (chrysler and gm comes to mind) Should this be a further sign to avoid sears, and thus craftsman tools?

Well, lots of Craftsman tools have gone from USA made to Chinese recently, which is likely a cost-cutting move. So, many people in the tool nerd community are already avoiding them for that reason.

Whatever happens, Craftsman will live on in some form. That name still has a lot of consumer recognition.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

What i've learned from the past is usually products tend to suffer during times like this. (chrysler and gm comes to mind) Should this be a further sign to avoid sears, and thus craftsman tools?

Kind of hard to compare a large assembly like an automobile that is the primary product of a manufacturer to tools which are only one component of a retailer. SEARS will cost cut to the bone even if their stock is at the top of the DJIA. Add to the fact that they contract manufacture everything to the lowest bidder anyway and I do not think this will be an issue.

Now the lifetime warranty on your existing tools will be an issue as once they go Chap 11 all bets are off unless specified by the bankruptcy court otherwise.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Well, lots of Craftsman tools have gone from USA made to Chinese recently,

I hope you mean recently = 20 years. Because my Craftsman tools from the 1970's and 80's are far better quality than today's version.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Well, lots of Craftsman tools have gone from USA made to Chinese recently,

I hope you mean recently = 20 years. Because my Craftsman tools from the 1970's and 80's are far better quality than today's version.

Uh, no. The main transition from USA to Chinese hand tools has been over the last year or two.

Some of the tools (the regular RP ratchets) haven't been very good in recent years, even the USA made versions. But most of the tools like sockets, wrenches, etc. have been good, basic, low-cost tools.

Many people don't realize how cheap Craftsman tools are when they're on sale. When adjusted for inflation, it seems the recent USA made tools are cheaper to buy than they were in the 1970s and 1980s.

Craftsman and Lands' End will get spun off at some point. Probably Kenmore too, though those are already just a private-branding by the other big guys.

I recently had a Craftsman 12' tape measure go bad. The "brake" wouldn't hold the tape out anymore. Sears replaced it, but said that they only carried Stanley tape measures now and that it would be my last free replacement.

Sears (as a retail outlet) has needed to redefine themselves for years. They need to divest themselves of all the over sized stores and real estate they have, dump the soft goods and electronic offerings, and focus on hard goods (which is actually their strength IMO.)

They seem to be going after the HF customer, and the current quality of most Craftsman products reflect that (unless you look at their professional lines.) Last Christmas, I went in a Sears Hardware and at check out received a coupon for $10 off my next tool purchase. Next to me was a skid of 1/4" metric socket sets for $9.99. So for $.67 tax, I got a new socket set. Quality of the sockets and the small extension was good, the ratchet was junk. However, what can you expect for free.

They have spun off the Craftsman name to Ace Hardware (and have seen their offerings in Costco and Menards.) Probably just a matter of time until they spin off Kenmore. Lands End can easily stand alone. After that, what's left?

In our area they should just take the HF store and put it into the Sears store. It would generate a lot more foot traffic for Sears.

Last week I gathered up a few sockets and screwdrivers and went and replaced them. No issues, no questions. I figured get them now in case they go under. I have noticed my local ACE hardware has THREE isles of craftsman tools!

I'd have to agree. My older wrenches and ratchets show far less wear than my later ones from 90's+ do. Their sockets are still very good though IMO.
Especially avoid the flare wrenches or the double open end ones. They seem to "V" out rather easily anymore.
frown.gif

So, what would be a good alternative to Craftsman tools without going to Snap-on or Mac tools?

Something with good quality for an occasional user, not a full-time wrench turner.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
So, what would be a good alternative to Craftsman tools without going to Snap-on or Mac tools?

Something with good quality for an occasional user, not a full-time wrench turner.

SK or KD are both decent quality tools at a much lower price than Snap-on or Mac.

SK, Proto, Armstrong, Wright, Williams.

Originally Posted By: 67lemans

BINGO!!!
thumbsup2.gif

These are all good recommendations. I would also add Blackhawk to the list. They have lots of good quality tools that are made in the USA and well priced.

One note-
Williams has two tool lines, an imported and a USA made line. Most tools are available in both a USA made and imported version. Many of the imported tools are made in Taiwan and are identical to Blue Point tools, but lower priced.

If you're curious if a Williams tool is USA made or imported, check the online version of the catalog. The USA made items are clearly marked.

http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/30/home.htm

These are all good recommendations. I would also add Blackhawk to the list. They have lots of good quality tools that are made in the USA and well priced.

One note-
Williams has two tool lines, an imported and a USA made line. Most tools are available in both a USA made and imported version. Many of the imported tools are made in Taiwan and are identical to Blue Point tools, but lower priced.

If you're curious if a Williams tool is USA made or imported, check the online version of the catalog. The USA made items are clearly marked.

http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/30/home.htm

I don't buy these ratchets as the most important feature i am looking for is missing.
A quick release.
It looks like the Williams are 70's Snap-On designs, i didn't like them then because of this feature was lacking and don't like them now.

I can live without the high tooth count, comfort grip handles, high polish, etc but not the quick release feature.
If i told you the ratchets i have tossed into the bin PO'd because of it you would think me a criminal.LOL

Everybody has their own preferences. I personally don't like the quick disconnect button. I tend to bump them in tight spots. So feel free to send those old Snap On ratchets to me! I can put them to good use for you haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back