Acura MDX coolant leak, big problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Acura MDX, 87,000 miles without any issues of overheating. No antifreeze is leaking on the ground, but after a drive you can smell burnt antifreeze. Took a few pictures of the issue. Is it a head gasket? Anyone else ever had a similar issue with this motor? Wanted to see what people thought of the issue, any insight is appreciated.

frontrg.jpg

frontrg.jpg

mid2i.jpg

closej.jpg

Looks like someone forgot to put in a thermostat housing gasket. I assume that's a thermostat housing and not an intake runner?

Thermostat is stock from the factory. Not sure what housing it is which is why I started the thread.

It is just a water passage, it is the rear half of the thermostat housing and has 2 gaskets.

It is in the water pump section of the online catalogs.

Delray Acura

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BBuzecky
Is it a head gasket?

No. It's just a leaky gasket at the join between the head and the water passage. Easy fix, but a bit time-consuming. I hope your coolant isn't 11-years-old...

Always do a pressure test. Simple way to diagnose and eliminate guessing. Free rental at AZ or similar or buy at HF for casual user.

I might give some of the GM cooling system tabs (or Subaru tabs or other similar products) a try before disassembling everything, assuming they're compatible with the Honda coolant, or whatever coolant you have in it now. I fixed a similar leak to this on my '84 Cutlass. Otherwise, you will have to remove that crossover to repair the leak. Is it a big deal? Probably not, but I'd fix it.

Is the coolant original? If so, it's way over-due for a change. If it has been changed, is it the blue Honda coolant or aftermarket green coolant?

Coolant was drain-n-filled three times with Honda blue fluid about 2 years back, so 8 years into car life. The leak was noticed 2-3 years ago, with just a little build up but considerably more now. Have only had to fill about half of the plastic reserve tank total over the years so a very minor loss of coolant. Its may Dad's car and he's debating on fixing it up or getting rid of it. The transmission problems from this circa Acura worry him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back