Is this a TRANS issue, or could it be simpler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be the most epic troll in the history of the Internet. Not only because it is at least partially based on facts, but because a person, who has posted pictures of himself, has continued to take advantage of this forum and we continue to try and advise him out of his troll-foolerly. Which of course isn't going to happen.

Trying to stop GHT from his antics is like standing in front a train doing 70Mph and demanding it to cease its movement.

Here is some backstory of when this WHOLE thing happened. I left the radio report on, so you can hear.. and this is how it all looked when I started.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
OK....so you've got videos of the tires spinning...and a picture of a blown tire...are you showing cause and effect?

Pretty much. Also, this. (It did NOT smell like gasoline, which is good since the exhaust was right there.) This happened mid-way through, and after the "cookies and creme."

Quote:

Spinning the tires excessively will cause them to fail from heat buildup...it will not get you unstuck in two feet of snow. You need to shovel first...

Duly noted. But, would you believe me if I told you that I didn't think this could happen in the snow?

Only in the heat would I have had a remote idea of "this could blow the tire."

Notice there isn't any snow in this one?

I didn't see a blown tire in this one...

Looks like a hot day in this one, too. I see tire pieces in this. but why is the wheel on the wrong side?

Quote:
Opening and closing the sunroof with a foot and a half of snow on it will cause it to jam...why you want it open in the days after a blizzard is difficult to fathom...but you should clear all the snow off the car as soon as possible so that it doesn't melt, begin to form ice and break parts of the car...like the sunroof...

I pressed the wrong button, and fixed that with a hairdryer.

Stuck:

Still stuck, a little more to go:

And.. FIXED! with celebration.

Quote:
You drive the car at 100 MPH when you know the timing belt is overdue...you're asking for it to break...

Synthetic oil, new coolant, changed a lot, the engine purrs like a kitten and still does. It loved those ITUs.

Quote:
What's remarkable in all this is the abuse that this poor Volvo keeps taking at your hands...why are you trying to kill it?

Do you still own this poor car?

1. Yes. And if I had money, I'd get it fixed...
2. We got two buyers lined up tomorrow for some $500 cash. Three, actually! Whoever comes first.

Volvos are TOUGH! Now I know.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Not being experienced in that autobox but I always thought that reverse seperate to the forward gears.

I can remember we used to get a fair few Honda Preludes in the garage I ran back in the 90's.

Always the same problem they had stuck it in reverse whilst still going forward and ripped all the teeth of a cog in the gearbox.

That may be an over simplification but we never used to strip them down and just sent them out on an exchange basis for a recon box.

I don't know how an autobox can go backwards when first and second lockup is selected.

It does sound like the problem is at the selector side rather than the actual gearbox, but the symptoms are not something I have ever seen or heard of before.

Must admit this car lasted a little longer than a thought it would, though not by much.

This was always the way this poorly maintained and expensive to repair car was heading.

Previous owner got rid as they could see the writing on the wall after their neglect.

The trader made a few hundred dollars selling a hand grenade with the pin pulled to somebody that thought they know about cars.

I believe the phrase is "A fool and his money are easily parted"

Why not add some MMO to the flux capacitor that should fix it.

If I had ANY $$$, I would keep it. Sounds like it might just be a selector. "Start small."

At the moment, Andre from Randolph (who has had this car before and loves it) is paying $500 cash. (Unless somebody comes and steals it from Sam's before then.)

This car was a hoot, and I can't wait to get another.

Love y'all!

You would get more than $500 breaking it for parts.

Have a look into how much the selector issue would cost to fix then stick it on eBay or Craiglist and get as much for it as you can.

I also can't see any reason why you would want to wheelspin it till the tyre exploded but each to their own.

Next time get something easy to fix and possibly American made.

A Crown Vic is a popular Police car and Taxi because it is robust and easy to maintain and repair not because it is the best at anything.

It is a working vehicle and just needs to be able to do the job in hand.

The new vehicles Ford are introducing for Police duties in NA are in a different world of ability, performance and complexity.

Save a few thousand dollars and get a Crown Vic.

That is what I would do if I was looking for budget wheels and lived in the US.

If you want an XC70 or similar in the future make sure it is a well looked after example.

They are a robust vehicle and attract neglectful owners sadly.

They same thing happens in the UK. Which is why I tend to buy cars with 1 owner fresh from a lease company with a complete itemised service record, my V50 even had which bulbs have been changed on the print out from the lease company.

This car was a hoot, and I can't wait to get another.

The most foreboding sentence in this thread.

x2 on the please don't breed plea.

The sad thing is that the owners manual for this car (and others) will caution you against everything that you did wrong in these videos.

Simply reading it would have prevented the problems you encountered.

But, even after I gave you a link months ago for a free download, you never did read it...did you?

And your continued, deliberate, ignorance has cost you $$...look at the purchase price of this car ($2,000), the $$ you've put into it (several hundred), and now, you're going to get $500 for it? Actually, it's not even yours...so, what, your lady friend is the one that's lost thousands of $$ on this deal? You can't afford that...neither can she...

Not surprising that you and she are no longer...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
The sad thing is that the owners manual for this car (and others) will caution you against everything that you did wrong in these videos.

Simply reading it would have prevented the problems you encountered.

But, even after I gave you a link for a free download, you never did read it...

And your continued, deliberate, ignorance has cost you $$...look at the purchase price of this car ($2,000), the $$ you've put into it (several hundred), and now, you're going to get $500 for it? Actually, it's not even yours...so, what, your lady friend is the one that's lost thousands on this deal?

Not surprising that you and she are no longer...

But do you like what I did with that hairdryer?

I never thought spinning tires in the snow would blow up the trans. Hey, now I know. It was very cold out and I had on no socks and I had to de-thaw my feet. I was trying to get it out as fast as possible. Standing the snow made my feet freeze, I had the heat blasting in there. All fun. Why a tire would blow in snow.. blew my mind. Then I got hurried and sped it up. AND succeeded! AAA even came and changed the tire! yay. No harm done. Continuing...

Anything else, you keep looking like fools when you try to equate Volvo with relationship with the ladyfriend. Really does make some of you look dumb when you do that. I say to you that it had NOTHING to do with it, and I rather enjoy some of this half-butted attempt sat guilttripping. For me to get guilted over sharing that things aren't as rosy. Did you ever consider that it had nothing to do with the car? that this happened a few days AFTER, . over other poo poo.. ??? Wow. You ASSUME this.. and that is funny. Some advised me to "get rid of her" while I still could, that we weren't compatible.. I forget, so, I won't try to remember. (Some kind of thread about something or another, where some saw some writing on the wall that "she and I ain't gonna work out." Well, my hats off to whoever said that. And it had NOTHING to do with this car. Actually, I'm getting some money from turning a GIVEAWAY into a SALE, so, wha umm whaaat? Have fun with that if you want, It's almost lunchtime, too, and I am sensitive to food levels.

Canada, Europe, Seriously now.. You ask why I didn't stop spinning tires? Well, I feel my mistake was not letting the air pressure out first. I eventually did so, (from 38psi hot at all 4 for fuel economy, down to about 12psi or so, I forget) AFTER I saw the yellow pee or Gatorade-like non-gas liquid drip, and that got her free. Mission accomplished.

Tires can be replaced.
Cars can be replaced.
People can be replaced.
It's all relative
Where you are at on this spectrum.. is dictated by your life experiences...
.. So if your life experiences were so good that you can judge a younger (somewhat) person with impaired facilities... then please, continue to do so..

What I get out of this is that there will be a Volvo again. I love that car. I don't have time for all the smart comments about it. \\ that $500? .. the car almost got signed over for free to a shop. Run with that one.

Did I lose money? .. There is no answer I could give here that wouldn't make this thread disintegrate into name-calling insults. And I'm not going to do that anymore.

Have a beer, go to some food place for lunch, drive home, and have a great day. I'm about to go to the mall myself.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This may be the most epic troll in the history of the Internet. Not only because it is at least partially based on facts, but because a person, who has posted pictures of himself, has continued to take advantage of this forum and we continue to try and advise him out of his troll-foolerly. Which of course isn't going to happen.

Trying to stop GHT from his antics is like standing in front a train doing 70Mph and demanding it to cease its movement.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Exactly.

Or not. And it is snide comments like this that get me upset. What gives YOU the right?

Go back and re-read.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Exactly.

Or not. And it is snide comments like this that get me upset. What gives YOU the right?

Go back and re-read.

Snide? It is accurate.

Listen, this forum is a feedback mechanism. YOU control what you hear based on what you post. You've posted a great amount of detail with regards to what can only be described as the Soap Opera that is your life. I can post whatever I like in response to this, that is my RIGHT, as long as it doesn't violate the rules of the forum, which my post didn't.

Don't like what you hear? Then change what you post. It is that simple. If you don't want to be treated as a fool, stop behaving like a fool and bragging about it. Your behaviour is reckless, your actions without direction or seemingly even intelligent consideration. You don't strike me as a stupid person, but your actions say otherwise. I don't care if you are challenged, damaged or "messed up". That doesn't exempt your actions from criticism, actions which you make it a point to show the world in GREAT DETAIL on this forum. Then you get upset when the responses paint you as some sort of troll or buffoon.

These responses are the product of your actions. You want different responses? Change the input.

Let's examine this for a moment.

Who knew that spinning the tires hard enough to send rubber chunks into the snow would cause damage?

Everyone...well everyone that either read their owners manual or had common sense...where did you think those rubber bits were coming from anyway?

But you had to...because your feet were cold...because you weren't wearing socks in 2 feet of snow...

Now, you're out a few thousand $$ (and by your own admission, you don't have $$ to spare...) because of your multitude of mistakes...and BITOG members are all wrong.

Sure....

You know, life is hard.

It's even harder when you're stupid..,

GHT isn't stupid - just really immature and has no respect for his "lady friend" or any property. This was his chance to do a burnout in an AWD, and it was an expensive lesson (or in his mind made $500 on it). There are some people who just won't help themselves, and continue to do self destructive things to themselves time and time again.

The fact that you are from the UK is of no significance to me.
Did you mean the United Kingdom or the University of Kentucky?

This should be your next car...

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3605658825.html

3E63Lb3He5I65Gf5M6d29d0487d5cb2a51ecc.jpg

Made back when volvos were volvos. You'd like working on it too, much more room than the newer ones.

There is something to be said for one of these:

header_logo_charliecard.jpg

I wish that everyone on this forum would realize that this is just a desperately lonely man screaming for attention by doing the truly stupid things he does. And he will continue with his antics until we as a group don't feed his addiction for the attention any longer. Please stop feeding the troll!

Thank you.

Where you are at on this spectrum.. is dictated by your life experiences...
.. So if your life experiences were so good that you can judge a younger (somewhat) person with impaired facilities... then please, continue to do so..

Since you said to, then I will.

Stop using items that impair your ability to think things through properly, and you will be a lot more successful in life.

Quote:
What I get out of this is that there will be a Volvo again. I love that car. I don't have time for all the smart comments about it. \\ that $500? .. the car almost got signed over for free to a shop. Run with that one.

Did I lose money? .. There is no answer I could give here that wouldn't make this thread disintegrate into name-calling insults. And I'm not going to do that anymore.

I'm going to point out the extremely obvious...

If you fix the $200 part that is broken, instead of getting $500 for the car, you can get all $2000 back. Last time I checked, $2000 is greater than $500.

I feel sorry for any vehicle that winds up with you as its owner, or maintenance responsible party.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back