Bicycle grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used a lot of different bike specific greases in the past, and all at exorbanant prices! Phil Wood, Triflow synthetic, Park Polylube, Finishline Xtreme Fluoro (a favorite, but wayyy expensive). Some work better than others, but I suspect there might be lower cost options out there which work just as well as the fancy greases at lower prices (eg: triflow vs. superlube).

If you were to try and find a more generic grease to use for bicycle ball bearings what would you look for? And what greases come ot mind? I figure you really have three different applications of bearing grease in a bike, as well. 1: Wheel bearings- very similar to automotive except lower loads and speeds and possibly more excotic materials. 2: Bottom bracket- looking at operating speeds around 100rpms and 3: Headset bearings with see a lot of micromovement and static loads but also may potentially suffer grease wash out easily in wet weather as there is the potential for veritcle water wash (granted, not exactly a lot).

Anyways, my first though, at least for bearing grease, would be a non-moly marine type grease with synthetic base oils and some form of water proof thickener. Maybe something like a #1 aluminum complex? Wouldn't even know where to start on the bottom bracket or headset as far as picking out a grease specific for the application, though.

I have always used white lithium grease. It seemed to work well. Bicycle bearings develop very little in the way of heat and are under almost no load compared to an automotive bearing. I used the same grease in the wheels, bottom bracket, and headset.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with the bearings in my bicycles getting whatever 'automotive' grease was at hand for servicing headsets, pivot points for the brakes/derailleurs, seatpost stem, bottom brackets or wheel bearings.

Lately it's been either Green Grease or Valvoline Durablend.

I agree that bicycle bearings are not that difficult to lube. I like Amsoil 2000 racing grease for most things. Full synthetic, good "body", and very good low temp torque scores.

This should work for just about everything unless you ride in a lot of water. In that case, a good marine grease or similar. I've used the Green Grease at Autozone but very difficult to work with (sticks like glue). It's probably about as water proof as you can get, though.

My new favorite car grease is CAT Desert Gold, but have yet to use it on a bike. Very heavy and slightly sticky grease for tough applications. Might be ideal for headsets as this grease is designed to protect against shock loading.

I found automotive grease to be too thick. You want something with just a bit of "flow" to it because the bike bearings aren't going to get warm enough to "melt" the stuff.

Lots of good suggestions.

^Looks like good stuff, too. Super Lube in the spray can has been my lube of choice for bicycle chains since the 80's as well.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I found automotive grease to be too thick. You want something with just a bit of "flow" to it because the bike bearings aren't going to get warm enough to "melt" the stuff.

Lots of good suggestions.

Exactly- its not the lack of lubrication or extreme environment as much as the resistance the grease introduces. For example, triflow synthetic would lubricate the bearings very well but would introduce notable drag. I have some Shimano Deore M525 hubs in one of my wheel builds that I overhauled with grade 25 balls and used Extreme Fluoro grease in and they spin significantly better than those same hubs packed with, say, phil wood, which is why I was thinking something a little thinner like a #1 grease (or maybe even #0 but I'm not so sure about that).

I'm a pretty competent bike mechanic, and have been using different automotive, marine, and bike specific greases for years. "Drag" from any grease in a bike bearing is pretty much non-existant. The bearing's adjustment has a lot more to do with how well the bearing turns under load (and even a ridiculously overtightened wheel bearing won't produce much noticeable resistance). I prefer marine grease, but as long as you're not using vaseline you're ok with whatever grease you like.

The one place wheel bearing grease may be a problem is with the steering tube bearings. They see micromotion and not the full rotation that other bearings see. You'd want a light grease for that application.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The one place wheel bearing grease may be a problem is with the steering tube bearings. They see micromotion and not the full rotation that other bearings see. You'd want a light grease for that application.

Appears counter intuitive as it would seem a thick grease with a heavy base oil would help with impact and reduce brinelling.

The Amsoil racing grease (which does use a light base oil) has a Fretting wear score of (ASTM D-4170)* mg = 8.5.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/series-2000-synthetic-racing-grease/?GroupID=105

Is this the test that one should look for in these situations?

Originally Posted By: Kestas

The key to having long lasting steering tube bearing sets is to not buy Shimano.

Yes, it is counterintuitive. During micromotion, heavy grease is pushed aside. The lighter greases are better at reflowing under the rollers where lubrication is needed.

I'm using Mobil Delvac Extreme in an el-cheapo wheelset and Valvoline Cerulean in my road bike's headset. They seem to work as well as the boutique bike shop greases - Park Polylube is a polyurea grease that almost looks like Honda's Super Hi-Temp Urea Grease...

I've noticed the Mobil is bit more tenacious as well. Now if I can find some Chevron Delo EP for "testing"...

Last edited:
Been doing some reading tonight for no other reason that curiosity. Anyways, I've seen some mention about Phil Wood grease actually being rebranded Drydene #4000. Has anybody heard this?

Further, some googling doesn't bring up much info on Drydene #4000, except for one gentleman who thinks that it is now some Castrol grease. Does anybody know where/how to find some?

Apparently, Phil Wood uses Mobilgrease SHC as their "repack" in some bearings. SRAM calls for SKF LGHP2 grease in some of their bottom bracket shells and Red/Force/X0/XX1 derailleur pulleys - according to SKF it's a polyurea grease which I'm use Chevron SRI or Mobil Polyrex EM or Honda's stuff can be used...

Actually was talking to skf about their "GJN" grease as listed in my 6303 motorcycle bearings. According to the very helpful tech on the phone it is simply mobile polyrex em (which is a polyurea with temp range -22f to +302f), so that's not terribly surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back