anyone used a 40V rechargeable trimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in a previous post I was looking for replacement options for a 4-cycle string trimmer. it's come down to this...

4-stroke Husq for $329, it's powered by honda, gets 5-star reviews and weighs 11 lbs, the same as a 2-stroke.

Honda has their own trimmer for the same price, is 13 lbs, and has a few complaints about the head. I'll favor the husq.

Ryobi has a new 40V electric that gets good reviews and costs $170. non-replaceable head, and a single .065 line. their 40V models include a small chain saw and medium hedge trimmer, the trimmer is of interest.... and if you just rely on one battery the second item is under $100 (so for $270 I could have both string and hedge trimmer).

I'm so afraid I'd miss the power of gas, but the ryobi is half the cost, with zero fuel/carb/storage hassles. Yet a lot of the growth that I cut is thick, stiff weeds. I know that rechargables from yesteryear wouldn't stand a chance.

anyone actually use one of the 40V models who can give a real-world assessment?

mike

I've been using a 20V Black & Decker trimmer for two years now. I know it's not in the same league as the Ryobi, but I have found the performance pretty good. It has enough power for trimming and edging, though, I do not have very thick weeds. I would expect the 40V to do quite a bit better. I replaced a Troy-Bilt 4-cycle trimmer that wore out its second carburetor (could be due to E10 gas?). I like the electric. It is lightweight and QUIET.

I bought a set at Lowe's that included the trimmer (.065 single line), a blower, and two batteries. Ultimately, I have had to buy two more batteries online to be able to do all my trimming and cleanup. My yard is only 6,600 square feet, but I have a lot of concrete to edge around. The head auto feeds the line and it works great. It is so nice not to be messing with the bump feed anymore.

So, battery powered is a mixed bag. The batteries are not cheap if you need extras, but weigh that against the maintenance and frustration of dealing with gasoline powered stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts. that gives me some confidence, and some educated caution.

just measured my lot.... (thanks google). it's just shy of half acre. surrounded on 1/2 by a chain link fence. I think my biggest concern is string use--- due to weeds I basically take the base of the fence down to dirt. and the grass itself is more like "cultivated farmland", so some of it is kinda rough to cut through. I suspect that the .065 line would be gone quick.

QUESTION: Do you find it ok, using a single line head?

I "want" to go electric, but I will be a mad hatter if I buy it and basically blow $200 after tax on something that almost works.

Hmm. I would say that if you want to try it just make sure you buy it from someplace that will let you return it if it doesn't work well for you. I used a .090 double line head for years and, surprisingly, the .065 single line seems to work just fine. Your needs are a lot heavier than mine, though, but that's why you're getting a more powerful machine.

With the auto feeding head in mine I can only use round line. I used to use line that had some "sharpness" to it.

Nothing to do, really, but to try it. You also won't know how many batteries you need (if any) beyond what comes with it until you try it out. I was a "mad hatter," as you say, when my batteries gave out before I even got to the cleanup. I paid about $45 for each of them. I can only assume that a 40V battery will cost more.

But, still, no engine maintenance, no rip cord pulling, no oil changes, and no need for ear plugs. I'm pretty well sold on this for my postage stamp size yard.

I've got a 36V Black & Decker string trimmer and I've been very pleased with it. During the spring/summer/fall I use it every other week, and it takes me about 15 minutes to do what I need to (this includes walking, etc. It's not running for all 15 minutes). My battery will last two trimmings. It's perfect for what I need it for.

One word of caution - when I was looking to buy one, I read reviews for a Ryobi unit, and many people said that it broke after a year or two. It was a different unit than the one you're looking at (18V, I believe), but still be sure to read owner reviews.

I'll bet the 36V B&D trimmer has a higher capacity battery than mine. I probably have 15-20 minutes of total trimming/blowing to do and it takes 3-4 fully charged batteries to get it all done. I do keep my grass cut high (3") and I have sidewalks, walkway, driveway, alley, and fence to edge around.

I am still happy with the tools, though. They are adequately powered and a whole heck of lot cleaner and easier to deal with than the gas stuff I replaced.

hmm. i think the 18v, 24v and 40v ryobi units all share many parts. I looked at all 3 models last night at home depot and there was a lot of carry-over. Handles are different lengths, but plastic housings, feed head (non-changeable), guards, etc. all look the same.

B&D makes a beefy looking dual-string gear-driven rechargeable that uses .080 line and 36V batts. It looks like the one to own.... but it's priced as such too. Sigh. Needs to last 10 years. that's the goal. I don't see its batteries doing that.

I think I'm gonna have to stay with fueled.....

Last edited:
For the size property you have to maintain that may be your best choice aside from getting extra batteries. If my puny 20V batteries cost $50 each I would hate to think what the bigger ones cost. Mine are lithium ion, BTW.

If I ended up with another fueled device later on I would go ahead and buy that expensive canned fuel rather than using E10 gasoline. I am pretty sure that my issues with fueled mowers and trimmers either started or got worse when they started selling oxygenated fuels around here.

My mower is a corded electric. It is OK for a small yard since 100' is the maximum length of extension cord that can be used. I've had it for about seven years now. Once I got used to it (cut the cord a couple of times - LOL) I liked it. The only maintenance required is sharpening the blade once a season and replacing the extension cord every few years when it gets beat up from dragging it around.

That's a good point. the batteries are $129 per. No-Way would even a second battery make any sense. Unless, of course, I have multiple tools all using the same batteries. But-- the user reviews suggest that a spare wouldn't be needed--- the tool gets very good reviews--- I guess my biggest quandary is could it do the work-- and my gut says it could but the tiny line would be an issue since I have a brick house, concrete driveway, and chain lin fence--- and a sort of 'wild' yard. But I **so** like the idea of electric.

will probably go gas... a 4-stroke made by honda.... should not give me any trouble, and I can install my head of choice on the bottom end...

I have both, although my electric is smaller, guessing around 18V.
Gas is still far more powerful. In my case I have thick grass and miscellany trees, bushes, etc. everything really. My electric can only handle simple grass that is not too dense. Even stronger/thicker grass will cause it to stall.

Lithium battery is a must. 40V larger packs probably pack a bigger punch, enough to handle most any grass. However, it will stall. Unless you do simple trimming I would keep the some sort of gas trimmer as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back