AutoRX vs Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is very minimal overlap betwen the products as they relate to an oil treatment. In that application, ARX is the far more effective of the two at deep cleaning the crankcase and valvetrain mechanicals.

But I think SF does a great job at combustion chamber cleaning when fed through a vacuum inlet. ARX really can't do this (beyond cleaning the ring packs, which depending on philosophy may or may not be part of the "combustion chamber").

You can use SF as a fuel additive, but there are more effective injector cleaning products now available, such as Techron and Regane. No way would you put ARX in a gas tank.

I have never considered putting SF into an auto trans or PS system, whereas ARX can work well in these systems.

When I think of SF, I think of direct-fed combustion chamber cleaning; when I think of ARX I think of slow, deep crankcase cleaning and sludge removal. That's where each shines in my experience.

So the Seafoam would be more effective for cleaning the intake manifold when fed through the brake booster hose and the AutoRX would clean the combustion chamber when added to the crankcase if I hear you correctly.

Also would 59K, mostly highway miles, on a car coming up to 11 years old, be too soon for using either AutoRX or Seafoam?

If so, when would a good time/mileage be to do it?

If you got mostly highway miles, I wouldn't even worry about the seafoam. Chances are the intake is pretty clean. AutoRX it instead.

Bobo, the SeaFoam in a VacLine gets sucked into the combustion chambers.

You let the vac line suck down half a bottle, let stall, then sit for 10-30 minutes, then drive a round the block.

A combination of thermal shock and the SF soaking into the carbon deposits cleans and burns of the carbon deposits on the valves and combustion chambers.

AUTO-RX is for cleaning all the lubed parts in an engine where every the oil flows and lubricates.

2 diff processes that clean 2 diff parts of the engine.

A car w/ only 59k miles with many hi-way miles may not need auto-rx, unless it was very neglected.

I would SeaFoam the VacLine, the gas tank, and install new PCV valve, spark plugs, fuel and air filters.

You can use SeaFoam Deep Creep (SF in Aerosol form) to clean your throttle body and us it to do the decarbonization treament too.

Good stuff. I use it in all of my lawn equipment too.

No the car hasn't been neglected. I have owned it since day 1 and the most I've ever gone without changing the oil is 4K. I use Castrol GTX5W-30 most of the time. The car isn't used for commuting and I try and stay away from short distance driving in it for the most part.

4th Generation Maximas seldom have to have the PCV valve replaced. The fuel filter was replaced at 35K and I will do again at about 65K (now at 59K). I still have the original NGK laser platinum plugs in the car. They were taken out about 3 months ago, cleaned on a wheel and put back in, good to go. The car runs like a champ so I'm leaving the plugs in for awhile longer.

In fact, since the car runs so well I'm going to hold off on the Seafoam for the time being. I intend to dump a bottle of Chevron Techron in before my next oil change.

I am simply trying to educate myself at this point and appreciate any input.

I also have a K&N panel air filter with only 7K on it. The transaxle gear oil, radiator coolant, power steering fluid, and brake fluid have all been flushed or replaced in the last 13 months.

I used the 1/3 can of Seafoam in the intake of an older car recently and dumped the rest in the crankcase, as it was advertised for such use and many seem to do it. Changing the oil a couple of hundred miles later I noticed a few foamy bubbles sitting on top of the oil, something that I don't recall seeing before when changing it. It may have thinned it enough and/or disrupted the anti-foaming properties to allow it, in any case I won't be adding it to the oil anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:

In fact, since the car runs so well I'm going to hold off on the Seafoam for the time being. I intend to dump a bottle of Chevron Techron in before my next oil change.

sounds like a "if it ain't broke..."
some people like to add things to their cars to experiment or perceive a difference. you keep it well maintained and it runs good. I figure that if you track your MPG consistently and don't see any decreasing trends over time, then your combustion chambers and fuel delivery haven't degraded and you should just continue what you're doing.

I got the same engine as you in my 98 I30, I dont feel that i (or you) need Auto-RX, these engines aernt prone to sludge, and they have been well maintanied. instead i would reccomend FP, my car has gained at least 2mpg after doing this(And the car had used a bunch of other gas additives before this with minimal results, including B-12, STP fuel injector cleaner, etc. I also did seafoam it with minimal or no gains.)

FP has yielded great results for me and i now use lc for preventitive matinence. I fully expect 300k from this engine, the trans is another story.......

Also if youd like to switch to synthetic sometime my car loves M1 5w-30, and i know of somone with a 96 maxima who swiched from dino to syn at 195k miles without a leak.

So my $.02 is give FP a whirl

I hear you on this one. No, my fuel economy hasn't suffered one iota. I am a member of Maxima.org and still get better fuel economy than virtually every 4th Gen Maxima on the website. It could be better in the city, but I consistently get 500 to 555 miles to a tank when highway driving, ie. road trips, no A/C on. In fact, I was so comfortable with the fuel economy I put the plugs back in after they were cleaned up and they have been in use since October 1, 1994.

So I think I will just continue to monitor the car, particularly fuel economy, and make the appropriate moves when the time comes.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
So the Seafoam would be more effective for cleaning the intake manifold when fed through the brake booster hose and the AutoRX would clean the combustion chamber when added to the crankcase if I hear you correctly.

You took my philosophical quip too directly. I wouldn't consider the ARX a combustion chamber cleaner; the ring packs are as close as it will get.

Use the SF to clean the combustion chamber. Use the ARX to clean where ever oil flows.

I view you as one of the oil/additive gurus on Maxima.org, kcryan. What does FP stand for? Is it an acronym? Do you have the website?

I have done some reading on LC and will look into that more.

I have been going back and forth umpteen times on whether or not to switch to Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic. Could I get a 5 or 6K one-year OCI out of it without replacing the Nissan OEM oil filter. That approximates my current annual mileage.

I go buy a different name on the .org, kcryan. I'm 54 soon and some of the younguns don't like me too much, but I could care less.

Wow thanks, yea its gotten to the point on maxima.org that i really am only interested in the fludis and lubricants section, every other section is just people flaming the **** out of each other.

FP is Fuel Power, it is a fuel system cleaner manufactured by LubeControl Distributors, it has to be ordered from therm but its not to expensive.

LC is made by the same company as FP but is for use in the oil, PS, and ATF(which doesnt concern you)

I see no problem going 1 year or 6k miles on M1 just so long as when it is driven it is given full time to heat up and burn off anything in it (H20, fuel, etc)
I change my M1 every 5k or so on the I30 and 7500-10k on the Qx4 (With the VQ35) which sees longer trips.

LC will help you to be able to keep the oil in good condition for this year/6k OCI.

The Nissan OEM is a good filter, however i prefer the Purolator PureOne, or if you dont mind the few extra $$'s the M1 filter.

Www.lubecontrol.com for more on FP + LC

haha alright i was gonna say i dont remember a bobo on the org, but yea as i said many of the people on there are pain in the asses.......

Thanks, kcryan, U.S. parts availability is problematic in British Columbia to some extent. I'm not sure where to get Purolator PureOne, but can get Wix filters at NAPA and they're cheaper than OEM from the stealership. What's your opinion on them? I will keep looking for Purolator PureOne.

We don't have Autozone or Pep Boys in Vancouver.

Good point, i didnt see that you were in canada...lucky.... Im sure pureones can be ordered and shipped to cananda but then again that is problally not worth it unless you can get them in bulk at a lower price so you can make it equal out.

From what i know WIX are great filters, as to how they compare to OEM and PureOnes and such i cant really comment, as i have never been able to find them locally so i never really paid attention to them. Im sure somone on here knows though.

Otherwise OEM's should be able to go the distance.

Also im just now learning about ESSO XD-30 (I believe thats what its called) its supposed to be a great oil from canada, it may or may not be better than M1 but it might be worth a shot.

I'll look into Esso XD-30, its a new one on me. I can get Mobil 1 at a decent price from Wal Mart locally.

I haven't ordered anything online from the US before. Typically we get nailed on shipping costs, eg US$17 for AutoRX and then there is brokerage unless the supplier will label the product as a gift with a nominal value.

However, I am only about 25 miles from the Canada/US border and could always take a hike down to Bellingham or Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back