Can Marvel Mystery be run straight/pure in car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Run 100% MMO for a few hundred miles and return with the results.

Okay. From what I've heard the MMO is no thinner than the new Honda factory fill oil (0w-15). Maybe I get +5 more mpg. ;-)

This from oil university 101 at the beginning of BITOG
If you are worried about thickness, read the below data, its at the front of our forum.

Please forget those numbers on the oil can. They really should be letters as AW-M, BW-N or CW-P. The fact that we are dealing with a system of numbers on the can makes people think that they represent the viscosity of the oil inside the can. The problem is that the viscosity of oil varies with its temperature. A “30” grade oil has a viscosity of 3 at 302°F ( 150°C ) and thickens to 10 at 212°F ( 100°C ). It further thickens to a viscosity of 100 at 104°F ( 40°C ) and is too thick to measure at the freezing point of 32°F ( 0°C ).

Oils are divided into grades (not weights) such as a 20, 30 or 40 grade oils. This represents the viscosity range at operating temperature. But it is NOT the actual viscosity as we shall see. The issue is that viscosity is temperature dependent. Let’s look at a 30 grade oil and how the viscosity of this grade of oil varies with temperature:

Temperature ( ° F ) Thickness
302 3
212 10
104 100
32 250
( 30 grade oil: aka 30 “weight” oil )
The automotive designers usually call for their engines to run at 212°F oil and water temperature with an oil thickness of 10. This is the viscosity of the oil, not the weight or grade as labeled on the oil can. I want to stay away from those numbers as they are confusing. We are talking about oil thickness, not oil can labeling. This will be discussed later. Forget the numbers on that oil can for now. We are only discussing the thickness of the oil that the engine requires during normal operating conditions.

The engine is designed to run at 212°F at all external temperatures from Alaska to Florida. You can get in your car in Florida in September and drive zig-zag to Alaska arriving in November. The best thing for your engine would be that it was never turned off, you simply kept driving day and night. The oil thickness would be uniform, it would always be 10. In a perfect world the oil thickness would be 10 at all times and all temperatures.

If the thickness of oil was 10 when you got in your car in the morning and 10 while driving it would be perfect. You would not have to warm up your engine. You could just get in the car and step on the gas. There would be little wear and tear on your engine, almost none. Unfortunately the world is not perfect.

The night before when you drove home from work the car was up to the correct operating temperature and the oil was the correct thickness, 10. Over night the engine cooled to room temperature and the oil thickened. It is 75°F in the morning now (I do live in Florida). The oil thickness is now around 150. It is too thick to lubricate an engine designed to run with an oil having a thickness of 10.

Chapter Two

Tags: Motor Oil

Motor Oil 101

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: Ken2
In addition to being way to light viscosity, MMO has none of the additives that are essential to engine oil.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Define an oil.

Define the breakdown in molecular weight or number of carbons that dictates the difference from one class of hydrocarbons to another. Define the additives and viscosity characteristics that make a finished oil suitable for its application. All that info is on this site. Countless others have found it. Please use a search and teach yourself some of it to help contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way.

Guys, I've tried leading blackman777 down the path of critical thinking and going back to first principles. I won't make that mistake again.

You can lead a horticulture but you can't make it think.
grin2.gif

ITT: all you need to know.
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Wow really? I thought MMO was an oil.

Quite ready for this one to get locked but not before I point out that demarpaint already won this thread earlier this morning:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: Donald
No, its a cleaner and a lousily lubricant.

Wow! A flash of truth in the additives section, The Clever gang of addaholics will love you for that one.

Maybe the two of you can team up and exchange notes.
smile.gif
Then check the UOA section of reports where MMO was added and report back.

crackmeup2.gif
Well said, demarpaint, cheers.

Yep. DP wins.
Clever gang of addaholics eh. Vague reference. I should unit in-ignore him so I can see what absurdity he posts next.

Mmo for the win

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
A “30” grade oil has a viscosity of 3 at 302°F ( 150°C ) and thickens to 10 at 212°F ( 100°C ). It further thickens to a viscosity of 100 at 104°F ( 40°C ) and is too thick to measure at the freezing point of 32°F ( 0°C ).

This feels wrong. An SAE30 dino oil will have certain characteristics throughout its range, which make it different from SAE40 or SAE50

NO. Way too thin, and if you like your engine you won't do it. I'd use some in the gas tank, you wouldn't get me to put it in my crankcase, I see no reason for it tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back