mixing oils can eat your engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
read this on the Mustang Club of America forum:

ford changed my oil. I had synthetic put in and they set my next oil change in 10,000 miles so listen up guys this guy tells the truth. Reminder never mix different brands of synthetics. they turn to acid and eat your engine.

Originally Posted By: ted s
read this on the Mustang Club of America forum:

ford changed my oil. I had synthetic put in and they set my next oil change in 10,000 miles so listen up guys this guy tells the truth. Reminder never mix different brands of synthetics. they turn to acid and eat your engine.

This paragraph doesn't even make any sense. What a load of
37.gif

With that said, I'm not a fan of mixing different oils. I don't think it'll "eat your engine", but there is nothing to gain either.

now he posted this:

. It is recommended that if you switch synthetic brand you should flush first. Go talk to a rebuild outfit or a service department

That is such horse manure. If you are using an API cert. oil, it is miscible with other oils. Additives can "clash" and the benefits may be decreased but as far as harmful...no truth with today's API SM/SN GF-4/GF-5 lubes.

Is this a joke? This makes no sense. Lol....turns to acid? Seriously? lol

Originally Posted By: ted s
now he posted this:

. It is recommended that if you switch synthetic brand you should flush first. Go talk to a rebuild outfit or a service department

Very few seasoned mechanics or even shop foremen know anything about oil, except that their dad or grandpa told them that (X brand of oil) will sludge your engine and ruin it!
(I had a coworker who had his car into the Ford dealership about a year ago and the most veteran mechanic there told him that Valvoline will sludge your engine in just a few thousand miles)

This is the exact reason why there is now API/GF certification, to ensure quality across oils.

Your engine will not tell the difference between one oil to the next.

Just ignore him and move on. Arguing with stupid is pointless. He'll drag you down to his level, and then beat you with experience.

chubbs1, you deserve a special shout out for using the word "micsible." I thought you had bungled mixable and discovered micsible is indeed correct. Micsible-word of the day!

pot%20smoker%20crazy%20hair.jpg

Originally Posted By: crazy high guy
Yeah man, it's like the synthetic oil mixes with the regular oil and turns into crazy acid and stuff!

Bullocks.
My next fill is going to be another frankenblend, because I have several jugs with only a bit of oil in each. They're all getting mixed next time around to use it up.

"Those Asian cars, hate em... I drive a Saturn. They like repel rust and stuff"
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
pot%20smoker%20crazy%20hair.jpg

Originally Posted By: crazy high guy
Yeah man, it's like the synthetic oil mixes with the regular oil and turns into crazy acid and stuff!

Considering I have 2 different synthetics and a convention in my sump right now....my engine is apparently fragged.

Sorry Outback. Next time I'll just do it right and pour battery acid in to get it over faster.

Since most agree that TBN is important, oil that "turns to acid" is a very real concern.
Leaving dino in for a full synthetic interval could certainly cause this.
The Mustang forum guy certainly is no Shakespeare, may be dyslexic, wrong about mixing [to a degree] , and a poor communicator, but the acid warning may be his real and very good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back