What is the best engine flush? (not arx)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had previousley thought I would do an arx cleaning on my 88 BII with 45k but I don't think it will be cost effective, I can see doing it if I had a high mileage vehicle and it was sludged, and I'm not knocking it but I just don't see the value in doing it on an engine that was only driven 3000 miles a year and was not usually taken on a lot of short trips. So what is the best over the counter engine flush available for my car? What products have you had good experiances with? I was thinking about the Amsoil Engine Flush although I'd have to get it online. Is this a good product?

quote:

Originally posted by bigwillie:
I had previousley thought I would do an arx cleaning on my 88 BII with 45k but I don't think it will be cost effective, I can see doing it if I had a high mileage vehicle and it was sludged, and I'm not knocking it but I just don't see the value in doing it on an engine that was only driven 3000 miles a year and was not usually taken on a lot of short trips. So what is the best over the counter engine flush available for my car? What products have you had good experiances with? I was thinking about the Amsoil Engine Flush although I'd have to get it online. Is this a good product?

If you aren't wanting the ARX I would recommend the Schaeffer's Neutra. One ounce of Neutra per quart of oil in the crankcase, drive for 500 miles and dump your crankcase out.

I agree with Go_Hogs_Go! Neutra 131 is what you want to buy. Call Tim Mills up and get a bottle sent to you. I think one bottle is $4 plus shipping and a gallon is $15 plus shipping!

Don't forget about LC20...makes a great engine flush. 4 ounces per quart run engine at idle for 15 minutes.

Odis has also seen great results by placing a towel or something over the air intake to heat the engine up just a little above normal to really get the LC working.

Is there anything OTC you could use?

Why not try using MMO (Marvel Mystery oil) ???

How about the Seafoam, B12chemtool. Are these too strong or what ??

With Schaeffer's Neutra now falling in the Hazmat shipping category, I'm fortunate enough to have a local fueling station carrying it. They're selling it for around $3 for a 12 oz. bottle, and the better deal, $13 for a gallon. A good, cost effective synthetic ester cleaning agent.

what is the best way to order Schaeffer's Neutra? There are no stores near me that have any schaffer's products. Can I order online?

I seccond the LC20, although i might just use it at 1.5 oz every 800-1000 miles and 2 oz per quart every oil change, over 10-15k miles this should clean up everything, otherwise try Neutra...

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:
With Schaeffer's Neutra now falling in the Hazmat shipping category, I'm fortunate enough to have a local fueling station carrying it. They're selling it for around $3 for a 12 oz. bottle, and the better deal, $13 for a gallon. A good, cost effective synthetic ester cleaning agent.

Nice deal. It's costing me around $20 a gallon with the 4 gal order and haz mat shipping fees. Even so, I believe it is worth it. I run it 1 oz per gallon of gas and may do the crankcase at times (or every oci last 500 miles). Got it in my lawnmower crankcase right now at 10% of oil capacity.

No Gunk, kerosene or diesel.

Maybe pint of MMO driven for a day or to or SeaFoam w/ 10-15 minute hot idle.

I would not worry about it. Dump in fresh oil if there are no symtoms of sludged engine and use a good filter (MoCraft or WIX).

quote:

Originally posted by 04SpecV:
They need an online ordering cart system!

That would be nice, but I think it is a royal pain to get a businessman's credit card account set up with a bank when you are running a smaller operation. It works well for me to send him a check.

A paypal account would probably serve him well. That way he can allow the use of credit cards, debit, or direct withdrawal. There are fees, naturally, but you're paying on a per transaction basis ..so
dunno.gif
. I bought some give away items for the holidays last year (pens, baseball caps, shirts, etc.) and I just sent a check through Quicken. I really liked the logo. No one I know too well has heard of Schaeffer's ..but the SOPUS rep DID when he saw the hat at my buddies shop. Apparently Schaeffer's competes with him on some of his bigger commercial accounts.

Good point Gary. Pay Pal would solve the credit card problem easily. Only problem, my pay pal account expired and I don't remember the password or userID
blush.gif
so I will probably keep using checks.
pat.gif

Schaeffer Oil hats? I want one. That just might get the Maxlife hat off my head for a while. SalesRep gave me a Schaeffers Pen and I lost it. I will ask him if I can buy some stuff like that.

Your user ID for PayPal is your email address that you had when you opened the account. That should get you your password as well.

order a dozen pens ..they're cheap (something like under $0.50 each). The summer red ball caps are relatively cheap (mesh back) but the black full cap is more expensive (still okay in price). The shirts are of high quality and I've managed not to get them trashed so far. Sales rep did a banner job getting all the promotional items for me. He didn't make much on it. I recommended that he offer the items for sale since I think others like yourself would be interested in them.

BG makes a product called Quick Clean for Engines that works really well. Right before your oil change, dump a can of the QC in the engine and run for 15-20 minutes, drain oil and change as usual. This stuff contains no harsh solvents that would damage seals like some of the other OTC flushes out there. Below is a list of the contents from the back of a can of the QC.

Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillates
Hydrotreated Heavy Petroleum Distillates
Oleic Acid
Methyl Amyl Alcohol

I have used this stuff in my own vehicles and am quite pleased at how it works.

Gary Allan
quote:

order a dozen pens ..they're cheap (something like under $0.50 each). The summer red ball caps are relatively cheap (mesh back) but the black full cap is more expensive (still okay in price). The shirts are of high quality and I've managed not to get them trashed so far. Sales rep did a banner job getting all the promotional items for me. He didn't make much on it. I recommended that he offer the items for sale since I think others like yourself would be interested in them.

Anyone interested in promo items pm me and I will be happy to give you details on prices and send you some.

Tallpaul
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 04SpecV:
They need an online ordering cart system!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be nice, but I think it is a royal pain to get a businessman's credit card account set up with a bank when you are running a smaller operation. It works well for me to send him a check.

[/QUOTE] Given the fact that I sell at wholesale and that Schaeffer's only allows retail price advertising...
dunno.gif

Those that appreciate Schaeffers high quality lubricants are willing to call me, pm or email me with payment info and pay wholesale. While "shoppers" most likely would not pay retail and generally make for poor customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back