1998 BMW M3 ll-01 Oil options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone:
I have been reading the forums online and have found this one to likely be the best place to get the answer to my question. I have a 1998 BMW M3 (E36 S52 3.2 L engine) with about 108,000 miles on it and just did a complete Schedule II maintenance on it including dropping and changing all the fluids. I have been using Mobile 1 0w-40 for the past 3 years since buying the car and change it every 10,000 miles with a filter change at 5,000. I drive aggressively, but rarely over 80mph, I drive only about 10,000 miles per year, and most is city driving under 50mph. We rarely get below 0 degrees Fahrenheit or above 90 degrees Fahrenheit here in Michigan. You can guess my next question...what BMW LL-01 would be the "best" for my situation? Best = protects my car #1 and suitable to my driving/weather conditions. I feel the Mobil 1 is starting to burn a bit more as the car ages and I don't mind spending more to protect my baby...cost is not a major concern. Other possible options I have tried to research would be Motul 8100 Xcess, Pentosin Pento High Performance 5w-30, or of course the OEM oil from BMW.
Thoughts?

Welcome to BITOG!

You wont find a better oil than M1 0/40. Its very highly respected here.

You said its using oil, just how much is it using?

If I were to try anything else, it would be Pennzoil Ultra 5/40. Its a close second

Yes it's hard to find anything better than M1 0W-40 for the money. As mentioned PU 5W-40 (or PU 0W-40) would be a good alternative but only if you can source it for less than M1.

Thanks for the quick responses! I would say I "burn" an extra 1/2 quart or so between oil changes. I will monitor it much more closely this rotation. As far as Mobil 1 is concerned, is my 10,000 mile interval correct and is my 5,000 mile filter change overkill or a good idea? My primary concern with the oil would be proper viscosity/quality near the end of oci for my older engine...thus the "cost isn't important" boast on my part.

BTW, I used Pentosin ATF-1 for my power steering and automatic transmission fluid, ATE Super Blue for the brakes, and Red Line 75w-90 for the rear diff. Fcpgroton has been great for my Schedule II parts and my local mechanic Mark is awesome.

Oil filter and other filters are actually more efficient as miles pile up, I would leave oil filter on at full interval of 10k miles.

Get a UOA just to confirm all is golden with your current regiment. I recently discovered that I have a decent fuel dilution issue happening and am shortening my interval due to that.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Welcome to BITOG!

You wont find a better oil than M1 0/40. Its very highly respected here.

You said its using oil, just how much is it using?

If I were to try anything else, it would be Pennzoil Ultra 5/40. Its a close second
Or T6

Originally Posted By: bweier
Blackstone?

Sure, I use Toromont, but the same logic applies
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bweier
I would say I "burn" an extra 1/2 quart or so between oil changes. I will monitor it much more closely this rotation. As far as Mobil 1 is concerned, is my 10,000 mile interval correct and is my 5,000 mile filter change overkill or a good idea? My primary concern with the oil would be proper viscosity/quality near the end of oci for my older engine...thus the "cost isn't important" boast on my part.

It doesn't sound like your oil consumption is excessive.
I see no point in changing the oil filter element more often than the oil and 5,000 miles is a very short interval for the large BMW filter.
Your engine doesn't actually require a 40wt oil for the way you're using your car so you need not be concerned about the oil being too thin at the end of your 10,000 mile/annual OCI.
So stick to the oil you're using but don't change the filter until you change the oil.

You can get mag1 5w40 euro which is ll-01 on amazon for about $1 per qt cheaper than m1,delivered to you door.
Do uoa with tbn for both and deside which one you want to keep using. Rotella t6 might do a trick too.

Last edited:
I'd stick with the M1.
It's a well proven oil that is readily available and meets the spec for your BMW.
The BMW-labeled Castrol is a pretty good deal but not a better oil.
Even if cost is of no concern, I don't think you'll find a better oil than M1 0W-40 for your car.
Incidentally, a little oil consumption in an aging BMW is hardly exceptional.

Half-a-quart is nothing. You could keep using M1 0W-40 and maybe stretch out the OCI to 7,500 mi's as you're topping off with fresh oil.

I think I see a lot of Beamer posters using Mobil 1 10W-40 HM here and you could try it in the warmer part of the year, then go back to 0W-40 in winter. But that's not necessary...

My buddy works at O'Rielly Auto Parts and he has (2) 5 liter jugs of Pentosin Pento High Performance 5w-30 for $35 each. I am tempted to try this out as I have been very impressed with the Pentosin ATF-1 that I use for power steering and tranny fluid. It seems Pentosin fluids are high quality. Anybody try the engine oil?

BTW I am currently doing OCI of 10,000...too long?

Last edited:
OTOH, it is always fun to try a different oil.
Your car takes seven quarts, I think?
Two five liter jugs really won't do you all that much good.
Enough for one change with lots left over.
Also, unless you UOA the oil, you really can't know whether your drain interval is conservative or too long.
With the M1, also considering some adds, 10K is probably okay.
Why not UOA a drain and see what it looks like?

Havoline Synthetic 5w-40 is BMW LL-01 approved. Just another option.

From chevrons website:

SAE 5W-40 provides the broadest range of protection of the five Havoline Synthetic Motor Oils. It is specifically formulated to meet European requirements and is an officially approved product by BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen.

by:
• BMWLonglife-01oil
• MercedesBenzMB-Approval229.50 • Volkswagen505.00,502.00
Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 meets: • APIServiceCategoriesSM/CF,SL/CF,SJ/CF
• ACEAEuropeanOilSequenceA3/B4-04 Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 is approved

You are doing excellent with your engine. I only recommend that you wait until you change the oil to change the filter.

I have kept records and my S52 uses 1 quart of oil every 2,200 miles. This is on GC 0W30 - maybe I will try the M1 0W40 next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back