Sears to resurrect RoadHandler tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The company is touting the tires’ durability and 100,000-mile warranty and relatively low prices in an era when tires have become surprisingly expensive.

This has cheapskate written all over it!!! 100k mile warranty, if sears is still in business. (snicker)

29qazko.jpg

Michelin made those tires for Sears since they came out ,,,If Sears comes back with that Road Handler tire it is yet to be seen if Michelin still will make them ,,Yet alone how much longer is Sears going to be around

The image shows "Hankook" on the sidewall.

Michelin used to make a "WeatherWise" line of tires for Sears. The RoadHandler and recent WeatherHandler were/are made by Goodyear.

The Roadhandler's had stopped production before I worked at Sears, but at the time they were made by Michelin and were on the higher end of the tire spectrum of what they sold. The Guardsman's that replaced the Roadhandler's were junk at best. I tried to never sell them because we got a lower commission on the sale.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The Roadhandler's had stopped production before I worked at Sears, but at the time they were made by Michelin and were on the higher end of the tire spectrum of what they sold. The Guardsman's that replaced the Roadhandler's were junk at best. I tried to never sell them because we got a lower commission on the sale.

Thank's for verifying Michelin made the Road Handler brand back in the day like i mentioned

Sears wants to increase sales because of poor profits and light traffic. My guess is that the tires will be priced on the lower end of the scale to get customers into the shop and then were will be an attempt to upsell every other service.
"Ma'am, you need new brakes pads, rotors, shock absorbers, etc.... And while we are at it, how about a front end alignment?"
Then they will be making money in the automotive line.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Now made by Hankook

RoadHandler

Hmmmm......maybe not priced on the lower end after all.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
"Ma'am, you need new brakes pads, rotors, shock absorbers, etc.... And while we are at it, how about a front end alignment?"
Then they will be making money in the automotive line.

I remember when Sears had automotive in Canada. One time, they tried to tell my dad if he drove off, he could crash and die, that the tie rods (I think, may have been something else), were gone. He called their bluff, went to an indy, and it was something minor.

Sears needs more than just house-brand products. They need a complete customer service overhaul.

One change is that these are branded "Hankook Roadhandler." In the past, wasn't "Roadhandler" the brand? I don't remember them having a separate brand name on them, but they were mostly discontinued by the time I worked at Sears.

It looks like four of them in my Sonata's size would be more than $650 installed. That's about the same price local places quoted me for the Hankook H727.

Here's the needed size:
http://www.sears.com/roadhandler-touring...mp;blockType=G8

At first I thought they'd be similar to the Hankook H727, but they don't look very similar. The H727 is only T rated, while the Roadhandler is V rated, which seems quite high for a tire with a long mileage warranty.

The OE tires on my Sonata were V rated, but I didn't like any of the V-rated replacement tires, so I went with the T-rated Hankooks. They still have a cap ply, which is somewhat uncommon for a T-rated tire, so they're well made.

(Roadhandler on top, H727 on bottom)
Roadhandler_zps3503775f.jpg

IMG_7513-1000.jpg

I can't understand why anyone would buy a private label tire. The savings is minimal at best and getting an exact replacement (if you needed one) is much easier when you have regular model tires from a major brand, assuming the tire has not been put out of production. From a value performance standpoint, I am sticking with Hankook, Kumho or Nexen. In all the reputable comparison reviews I have seen, one of these brands almost always comes out the best performing value. Major car mfgs such as Ford and VW are using them as OEM as well. In the past, I never liked any OEM tire on cars that I owned with the original tires.

Quote:

Had 80K warranty Roadhandler tires on my 1984 Impala; 118K later I sold the car.

People rave about Kuhmo, great tires if you want to shell out $450 every 30K miles.

I used to run them in the late 80's. I can see sears making you get the front end alignment and lifetime warrany/balancing in order to get the 100 mile warranty.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Had 80K warranty Roadhandler tires on my 1984 Impala; 118K later I sold the car.

People rave about Kuhmo, great tires if you want to shell out $450 every 30K miles.

I have the kuhmo kr21's they feel and handle like a really cheap tire. no more for me.

Forgot about those, now remember back in the day mom and dad liked the Road Handler tires on their cars - they just liked Sears anyway.

This just seems to be the latest move in a company trying to cash in on some equity in a name that hasn't been used in years.

Chrysler has been doing a lot of it in the past several years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back