5W30 vs 5W20 for hot vegas weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my commuter car I have a 06 sonata 2.4L with 163I miles car runs like new never had a problem with it I've used full syn for most of my oil changes but not im going back to Dino because I like a shorter oci my question is in the owners manual it says to use 5W20 in conditions 32 or below or all year it has 5W20 on the oil cap. But it says in the manual you can use either 5W30 or 10W30 in conditions above 32 if I remember correctly. So my question is what viscosity dino would you run for out 110+ degree summers

I would run 10w-30 in the summer, and 5w-30 in the winter. No need to stray from the owners manual. You dont beat or race your car so a 30 grade is fine.

5w30 all year. Use any major brand on sale (or your favorite) I really like Mobil Super 5k or PYB. 10w30 is really not worth running, there are almost no benefits if any to its usage. Run 5w30 all year.

5w30 year round takes the hassle out of worrying about changing oil weights.

My mom has a 2011 Chevy Malibu with a 2.4L. 5w30 delivers proper protection and better start up than 10w.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
5w30 all year. Use any major brand on sale (or your favorite) I really like Mobil Super 5k or PYB. 10w30 is really not worth running, there are almost no benefits if any to its usage. Run 5w30 all year.

Sure there is. A 10w-30 tends to stay in grade better than a 5w-30. If its direct injection then that might make a difference.
Op. maybe run your 5w-20 and do a uoa then run a 5/10w-30 and test it as well. Then stick with the one with better wear numbers.
If you are going to run thicker oil might as well get some data to justify. It could be that you get better wear numbers with 5w-20,or maybe not,but it wouldn't hurt to know for sure.
Just a thought.

If you're in Vegas you could run either 10W30 or 5W30 year around. I wouldn't even bother with 5W20 in this case.

Originally Posted By: jdmstr22
For my commuter car I have a 06 sonata 2.4L with 163I miles car runs like new never had a problem with it I've used full syn for most of my oil changes but not im going back to Dino because I like a shorter oci my question is in the owners manual it says to use 5W20 in conditions 32 or below or all year it has 5W20 on the oil cap. But it says in the manual you can use either 5W30 or 10W30 in conditions above 32 if I remember correctly. So my question is what viscosity dino would you run for out 110+ degree summers

If I'm reading that mileage correctly (163k miles) then that's about 25k mile per year. And I guess in the Vegas area you're doing quite a few of those miles in hot freeway driving.

Personally I wouldn't be going for shorter OCI, I'd be going for a good quality synth and longish OCI's. I'd be picking up a nice hefty ACEA A3/B4 rated synthetic (either 10W30 or 5W30) and running it to maybe 10k miles over summer.

I am surprised to see all the 10w recommendations.

Due to the high heat, fuel dilution will not be a problem. The difference in noack is trivial. 5w gives a little easier starts and a very slight fuel economy increase.

I see absolutely no advantages to using a 10w30.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I am surprised to see all the 10w recommendations.

Due to the high heat, fuel dilution will not be a problem. The difference in noack is trivial. 5w gives a little easier starts and a very slight fuel economy increase.

I see absolutely no advantages to using a 10w30.

Shear strength: 3.0 vs 3.1
NOACK: 14.9 vs 14.5

While the benefits are very little, they are still benefits. Its these trivial differences that make an oil better for the application. Here at BITOG all we focus on is small details and trivial differences (sarcasm, kinda)

Personally, i would use the highest grade oil the manual recommends for the temperature range. Ill sacrifice a negligible difference in fuel economy for negligible difference in wear protection
grin.gif
Makes me sleep better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back