Honda HP 80w/85w motorcycle transmission oil ???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Genuine Stella 2-stroke scooter w/ manual transmission (wet clutch) -- clone of the older Vespa P-series -- and I am curious if anyone knows if Honda HP 80w/85w motorcycle transmission oil ( http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/PRO-HONDA-HP-TRANSMISSION-OIL-80W85W )would be a good choice for lubrication in the gearbox/transmission of my scooter; the outdated owner's manual calls for 30wt nondetergent monograde oil, but the shop service manual calls for a 20w-40 multigrade oil which tells me that there has been an update in thinking about what to use...

thanks for your feedback

Red line gear oil is what I use in my Harley's tranny. If your tranny and clutch are separate that would be my first choice.
If its a shared sump rotella conventional 15w-40 is my first choice.

I had considered using a conventional hdeo or a conventional/syn blend motorcycle oil but was tod to stay away from anything with detergents since they can froth and foam when being churned up by the gears...is this a myth? thanks

Redline Shockproof Light is my go to fluid for transmissions like this that are separate from the crankcase. Rotella 15w40 would be fine also, if you need convenience and are lookng at price.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I had considered using a conventional hdeo or a conventional/syn blend motorcycle oil but was tod to stay away from anything with detergents since they can froth and foam when being churned up by the gears...is this a myth? thanks

I raced off motorcycles for years and years with nothing more than 10w40 car oil in the trannies, excellent clutch life and no failures, the key with a wet clutch longevity is clean oil .

I had a friend who toasted a clutch running Belray tranny oil in six month, only cause he never changed it. Bad oil or good, if its dirty of contaminant, it will eat a wet clutch.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback on other products to use...but I am still curious about the Honda stuff I mentioned; thanks

Use Honda HP 80w/85w motorcycle transmission oil with confidence in your scooter. I've used it a bunch over the last 20 years in two stroke gearboxes. My old KTM 380 EXC two stroke really likes the Honda HP 80w/85w stuff.

thanks hirev...I kinda gave up and gave the quart of the Honda stuff I bought to the shop I bought the scooter from as a small 'thank you' for going above and beyond on several repairs that the Stella needed last year; I bought a quart of Rotella T 15w-40 to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back