V10 TDI VW Touareg oil analysis results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clint440
Ok I read up on DEO and it seems to spec better than TDT but TDT is apparently proven in the PD TDI world.

How does 5/30 series 3000 compare to 5/40 DEO?

Yes, TDT does very well in PD engines.

I would not recommend mixing different additives from different companies. I have just finished reading an interesting report from Volvo that gave some data from an analyst that was looking at what had caused some of bad sludge cases that had turned up in the dealerships in the last few years and one cause he identified was the use of oil additives with incompatible non synthetic oils. If you mix 3 different chemicals from 3 different companies, then you are conducting an experiment which might produce good UOA results for a while, but in the long run could turn out to be a bad idea.
I would just stick to a good fully approved oil of the recommended viscosity that is high in Zinc, although I would be interested to know what additive VW recommend or require for this type of TD, as it is rare for a manufacturer to insist or even recommend an oil additive, although they do change their minds about the engine oil to be used on odd occasions.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I would use Schaeffer 9000 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck (I would not use 0w40) in it. Get the beefiest HTHS number you can.
My PD TDI has shown excellent results & downward trending wear metals on UOAs since switching to S9k with a little ZDDPlus & Lubro Moly MoS2 added.

Last edited:
I went with Amsoil DEO as it seems to spec out very well. I am not running the BG additive anymore as it didn't seem to do any good and the only reason I ran it as they had a warranty program with its use.

Will post analysis results at 5K with the DEO....

Nice improvement with the DEO. Sample again next time to establish a trend for DEO. I think 40-50 PPM Fe for a 10K OCI is a good goal for this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back