mobil 1 causes leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a older eclipse i put mobil 1 when i got with 100k miles on it. I guess the mobil 1 cleaned up all the gunk and it started leaking everywhere my mechanic saod it was the oil. Ever heard of that?

If your seals are old and gunked up, switching to synthetic will cause it to leak. I switched my Civic to synthetic at 171k, no leaks! But the previous owner did the tried and true 3k OCI, so i assume the engine was in great condition.

I have never had a problem with synthetics causing leaks in mighmileage vehicles.

He probably said QS causes sludge too, huh?

Yeah, thats pretty much right. But the synthetic oil didn't cause it. Exposed is a better word. Exposed what was already there. The seals and gaskets were old and shrunk. Mobil 1 is thinner, flows better, cleans better than whatever was in there. Cleaned up, slipped by the old shrunken seals. Fix it or try what I'm using. Mobil 1 High Mileage. Its the same full syn but has extra additives to help with the leaks. Its the only full syn my Camry can run without fixing the leaks.

Originally Posted By: dslofti
I had a older eclipse i put mobil 1 when i got with 100k miles on it. I guess the mobil 1 cleaned up all the gunk and it started leaking everywhere my mechanic saod it was the oil. Ever heard of that?

Failed gaskets cause leaks. Sometimes a quality syn will expose these failures. Going back to conventional will often cure the leaks. Or try a high mileage oil.
I had a gasket failure on my hemi. I used liqui-moly motor oil saver from NAPA. It fixed my leak. It's cheap. Give it a try if you like the oil your using and don't want to switch.
I see it all the time on Harley evo engines. A syn will weep at the gaskets and mating surfaces whereas a conventional doesn't.
That being said I switch back and forth from syn in the winter to conventional in the summer. The only time I ended up with a leak was just after I seafoamed a 3.0 Chrysler that was sludged up. Cleaning the crankcase exposed the defect.

Dont all cvo harleys come with synthetic. Do you use reg oil in yours?

The Mobil 1 High Mileage oil has seal conditioners that will make the seals grow in size & stop the leak. If it still doesn't work, try stepping-up to 5w-40 like I did with my old Mitsu engine. Or even 15W-50.

CVO Harleys come with SYN3 which is a GrpIII synthetic. Mobil1 is a GRPIV. Just put dino back in the engine and the leaks will slow down or stop. Try Valvoline Maxlife.

Last edited:
This is not intended to be an insult against mechanics, but in general mechanics are not oil experts. They are trained to fix your vehicle and most are great at what they do but that training really doesn't involve oil chemistry. There are tons of myths surrounding synthetic oil and people tend to buy into them. I would go onto Mobil's site and read the FAQ's. They address this question and many of the other myths that you (and your mechanic) may have heard. In short, synthetic oil does not cause oil leaks
smile.gif

Yeah, but that's like saying that Starbucks causes high blood pressure because that's the only coffee you've ever drank.

It may be a true statement, but it's narrow-minded.

Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. It will find leaks and expose bad seals that need conditioning. In engines that have leaks, you're better off replacing the seals or trying a high mileage oil. I suggest you use Mobil 1 High Mileage or Valvoline Synpower.

Ignore 99% of what most mechanics say about oil. They often know nothing about it.

The CVO bikes come with syn 3. I have been using royal purple automotive 20w-50 and motul 10w-60 in mine last year but its a twin cam,not an evo. The twin cams don't seem to have the weeping issue like the evo's. And not all evo's leak with syn,depends on gasket materials,workmanship etc.

Originally Posted By: buster
I suggest you use Mobil 1 High Mileage or Valvoline Synpower.

A car that I own leaks or burns oil, not sure which yet, and I have used Valvoline Synpower in my last oil changed. Regularly I had to top it off with the stuff, Valvoline Racing 20w-50, I had bought in 1998. Went through the entire 12-pack case. Currently changed the oil with Mobil 1 HM.

Will post later with the results as it has only a 1,000 miles on the HM oil.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Fill er up with redline. It will swell them seals up and stop the leaking.

No it won't. It has a neutral additive package just like M1. If anything, it'll do MORE cleaning and make the leaks bigger, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back