Rear spark plugs - 2005 Chevy Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody! I was in the process of changing over my spark plugs on my Equinox when it came to a crashing halt. Does anybody know how to replace the rear plugs? I tried different angles and removing the distributor but I still couldn't get access.

It was getting too cold in the garage to continue so I put everything back together for the night. Does anybody have any first hand experience that can assist me? Couldn't find squat on youtube.

Thanks in advance!

Ohhhh....that's the Chinese made 3.4 IIRC.

None of the Lumina tricks look like they will work.

I think you are going underneath for this one.

Yeah, I have the Chinese 3.4s.....

I think you are right! I don't have the t bones like the older models had. Didnt know if anybody had any ideas. I am changing out the pads tomorrow so I can just jump underneath while I am doing that

I can tell you where the starter wire is but that's all I do under the hood of those vehicles.

Maybe you can remove the intake boot and alternator and reach around the front of the engine but #5 looks like murder to get to.

From what one individual said, you need to remove the oil filler tube:

"It's pretty straight forward. No special instructions required. You will probably need to remove the acoustic cover from the top of the engine.

To do this, first disconnect the plug from the EGR valve. Then loosen the oil cap completely, after the oil cap is fully loose, continue to turn the oil cap counter-clockwise to loosen the oil filler stem from the valve cover. Then just remove the oil filler stem and carefully pull up on the cover to disengage the two retainers on the cover from the metal studs on the engine. After removing the cover, temporarily replace the oil stem and filler cap to prevent any contaminants from falling into the engine. "

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/2006-equinox-plug-wires-change-48675/

Also, do note the torque spec - it is only 11 ft-lbs with no anti-seize. GM made a specific point about not exceeding that; the torque spec was 15 ft-lb for the first set of plugs, but 11 ft-lbs thereafter:

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/272em-took-off-spark-plug-wires-06-chevy-equinox-replace.html

Originally Posted By: The Critic

"It's pretty straight forward. No special instructions required. You will probably need to remove the acoustic cover from the top of the engine.

To do this, first disconnect the plug from the EGR valve. Then loosen the oil cap completely, after the oil cap is fully loose, continue to turn the oil cap counter-clockwise to loosen the oil filler stem from the valve cover. Then just remove the oil filler stem and carefully pull up on the cover to disengage the two retainers on the cover from the metal studs on the engine. After removing the cover, temporarily replace the oil stem and filler cap to prevent any contaminants from falling into the engine. "

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/2006-equinox-plug-wires-change-48675/

I don't think that information is correct.

The oil cap is on the front cylinder bank. I don't remember it being integrated with the beauty shroud/acoustic cover

I remember looking at that engine compartment when one of my clients purchased a used Equinox to replace her 200,000+ mile smoking and leaking Mitsubishi Montero. For the life of me I cannot figure out how taking the filler tube off will help you access the 1-3-5 plugs.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: The Critic

I don't think that information is correct.

The oil cap is on the front cylinder bank. I don't remember it being integrated with the beauty shroud/acoustic cover

I remember looking at that engine compartment when one of my clients purchased a used Equinox to replace her 200,000+ mile smoking and leaking Mitsubishi Montero. For the life of me I cannot figure out how taking the filler tube off will help you access the 1-3-5 plugs.

They did not have the same cover for 05 as they did for 06. Not sure but I had to go under the car and feel around to see if I could find it. Too much of a PITA on jack and stands, had to bring it to the shop. Much easier with the lift. I am also having them replace 02sensor replaced as it is right there as well. Two birds.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back