Toyota 1 year 10k change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father in law has a 2010 Camry with the 2.5 engine. The manual calls for 0w20 and 1 year 10,000 mile oil changes. Toyota does have their own 0w20, but as far as I can tell any 0W-20 will do? The manual does not even state if the oil needs to be Synthetic, though that maybe assuming that all 0w20's are Synthetic.

I believe Toyota does make a 0w-20 blend, but don't quote me on it. As far as all the other 0w-20s out there, they will likely do just fine. The owner's manual probably just calls out a 0w-20 meeting API SM/GF4 (that was 2010 when the car was made, before SN/GF5 existed, so any SN/GF5 will be just as good/better). If that's all the manual calls for, any 0w-20 will do. If you're looking for something cheap, Napa often has sales on their house brand synthetic for under $4. IIRC, even though most Napa syns are basically Valvoline syns with a weaker add pack, I remember seeing a VOA showing that Valvoline and Napa synthetic 0w-20 were identical, add pack and all.

EDIT: Yes, randomhero, I do believe it is Honda and not Toyota that has the 0w-20 blend.

Last edited:
Most 0w-20 oils you will find are synthetic. Honda 0w-20 synthetic-blend is the only one i know of that is NOT a full synthetic.

Toyoto synthetic 0w-20 is a very good oil. Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and Mobil 1 0w-20 are very good also. The 10k or 1 year OCI is fine to follow.

The Toyota branded oil is some great stuff and made for Toyota engines so I would suggest using it first above all others.
Now we have seen quite a few Toyota engines lately that have been sludged beyond comprehension. Before I would do 10000 mile intervals I suggest doing a uoa at 5000 miles just as a data point. Better safe than sorry and the pics posted lately have been frightening.
Now I cannot say if the pics posted recently have been from engines that have been maintained as per the oil life monitor,if they have then there is a serious flaw and either there is a design issue or the oil life monitor needs re-calibrated.
But I'd use the tgmo over any other oil. Over M1,Amsoil,or anything else,except red line.

The only downside with a UOA is....it won't tell you if you have sludge, varnish or crud in your engine.

A UOA should give you a good idea of how your engine is wearing and a rough estimate of how many miles you can use on the oil.

That is taking into consideration where you live, driving habits and excessive idling.....among other factors.

A UOA will not tell you if the engine has sludge in the sump.

I recall Seeing a VOA for the Toyota 0w20 and it looked like a plain low end group 3 synthetic with a TBN around 6.8.

Your FiL should be fine in Hawaii.

...unless he takes only extremely short trips (1-2 miles)...in which case I'd recommend he take the "scenic" 4 mile route (again no problem in Hawaii) to get the engine to normal operating temp...

The 1yr/10k interval should be fine, but if you are a short-tripper, I would do 5,000 mile intervals.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I believe Toyota does make a 0w-20 blend, but don't quote me on it.

Honda makes a 0w20 blend under their label, and is what their dealers use for service fill - in bulk.

If you don't want to use the OEM oil make sure you check the oil finder page of the engine oil company to confirm the oil is recommended for your engine.
It is worth doing a UOA to confirm your OCI, as the normal figure quoted will be good if you are driving mostly highway miles, but it might need reducing if you get stuck in traffic a lot.

Try a search. There have been numerous extensive discussions on the various 0W-20s, especially Toyota's and their OCI.

Note: My 2012 Sienna V6 is halfway through Toyota's 2-yr included maintenance program with 10,000 mile oil changes and this particular engine doesn't seem to stress Toyota's 0W-20 much at all.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
The only downside with a UOA is....it won't tell you if you have sludge, varnish or crud in your engine.

A UOA should give you a good idea of how your engine is wearing and a rough estimate of how many miles you can use on the oil.

That is taking into consideration where you live, driving habits and excessive idling.....among other factors.

A UOA will not tell you if the engine has sludge in the sump.

If the TBN in a UOA stays above one third of the VOA original figure then you won't get sludge form, also the insolubles figure will rise if the oil is dirty enough to start forming sludge.
Sludge is mostly caused by exceeding the limits of the oil in detergent and dispersant additive terms, or a coolant leak as anti freeze is real bad news in sludge formation terms.

make sure that the oil and filter you use are specified for extended drain intervals, and that you check your oil regularly. toyota is not responsible for making sure that whatever oil you choose will last for 10k without burn-off or breakdown. simple paper media filters, like toyota's oem filters, probably won't do that well in an extended drain interval.

Not in Toyotas, but I do 10K OCIs in my Fords will no problems at all and I see no need to do UOAs either for just 10K OCIs. Also my engines are very clean as your will.

Last edited:
We have a 2009 RAV4, and when I saw the synthetic list from Toyota it did not have it listed at all. It has the same 2.5L as the Camry. I wonder why the RAV4 still needs to stick to the 5000 mile schedule?

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
Father in law has a 2010 Camry with the 2.5 engine. The manual calls for 0w20 and 1 year 10,000 mile oil changes. Toyota does have their own 0w20, but as far as I can tell any 0W-20 will do? The manual does not even state if the oil needs to be Synthetic, though that maybe assuming that all 0w20's are Synthetic.

jkhawaii,

1 year oil changes? Sounds like Toyota is trying to be like BMW. A friend of mine has a BMW and the dealership won't change the oil until a certain amount of miles is on the odometer.

Personally I can understand every 6 months but once per year I don't know if I would go that route.

If Yoyota has there own 0W-20 oil then I'd just use that. Like the others have said most oils are now synthetic especially when they want OCI's like the one stated.

Besides that I'm more worried about the sludge issue. Some Toyotas have had sludge issues in the past and my recommendation would be to have the motor flushed well.

Durango

I have a new 2013 Toyota Prius calling for 0W-20 with 1 year/10,000 mile oil change. I plan on doing a 6 month/5,000 mile change with Mobil 1 0W-20 as we plan on keeping the car 10+ years. I couldn't sleep at night doing only one oil change a year.

Originally Posted By: JMHC
We have a 2009 RAV4, and when I saw the synthetic list from Toyota it did not have it listed at all. It has the same 2.5L as the Camry. I wonder why the RAV4 still needs to stick to the 5000 mile schedule?

Probably because Rav4 is heavier and can tow stuff, so severe schedule is applied. Similar schedule is applied in Canada. Toyota Canada requires you to change every 5k miles, even with their 0w20 synthetic oil.

The assumption that Toyota or Honda "makes" their oil is interesting. I am sure we can figure out from whom they buy it.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: JMHC

Probably because Rav4 is heavier and can tow stuff, so severe schedule is applied. Similar schedule is applied in Canada. Toyota Canada requires you to change every 5k miles, even with their 0w20 synthetic oil.

I think the reason that the 4-cylinder RAV4 is specified for 5k/6month OCI is simply because thats what the 6-cylinder RAV4 is specified for. The V6 is factory filled and specified for 5w-30, obviously a non-synthetic. However the 4-cylinder RAV4 is factory filled and specified for 0w-20, a synthetic. NOW, the V6 and the 4-cylinder share the same Toyota Maintenance Guide. So I can conclude that the 5k/6month interval is based off the V6 model.

Therefore, i would think you could go 7500miles/9months on the synthetic 0w-20 in your RAV4 4-cylinder. You could prob go longer if you verified with a UOA, but 7500miles/9months is safe for now.

I would also like to add that the 4-cylinder RAV4 weights 3360lbs, just 53lbs more than a 4-cylinder automatic Camry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back